Value of: Alexis Lafreniere Offer Sheet

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tripledeke333

Jun 25, 2021
But why should Laf sign it?
For a few short-term bucks?

He likes it in NY, and a new coach offers a clean slate,
i think you only get his attention with a high Hit, long deal,
which could really squeeze NYR
but also force offer team to paying high price ...

A team could offer him 5 years at $5 Million. Laff would secure generational wealth and any team ponying that up would give him every opportunity to succeed.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Noldo

May 28, 2007
Rangers would match an offer worth 4 million annually as Lafreniere at 4 million is still more valuable than 2nd rounder in 2024, even if it would be from a team expected to land on the bottom of the standings.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
A team could offer him 5 years at $5 Million. Laff would secure generational wealth and any team ponying that up would give him every opportunity to succeed.
True, a team, who has their own ‘24 1st and 3rd, could offer that

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
It definitely would put a squeeze on the Rangers but I would expect them to match and do the requisite roster surgery to make it work.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Rangers would match an offer worth 4 million annually as Lafreniere at 4 million is still more valuable than 2nd rounder in 2024, even if it would be from a team expected to land on the bottom of the standings.
But what I’m saying is New York would have to make moves they don’t want to make to match it. Which is why it would put them in such a bad spot imo which is why another team should strongly consider it

It definitely would put a squeeze on the Rangers but I would expect them to match and do the requisite roster surgery to make it work.
Totally agreed, I would definitely expect them to match, but my question is what would they actually have to do to make it fit? Probably either give up a first or a player they really don’t wanna lose

Tripledeke333

Jun 25, 2021

Agreed. However, if you go above the $4.2 Million threshold, I’m not sure NYR match. Essentially, any team can have a shot at the former 1OA by offering a 1st and a third.

I think if a bottom dweller offersheets NYR does not match and takes the picks, but may feel forced to match if a strong team offersheets. Though, strong teams don’t have much cap space.

As a fun thought, I wonder, does Laf have more value than KK? Both players are in similar circumstances where they have played in the NHL since being 18yo but are not clear top 6 forwards.

Reactions: Noldo

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Yea I'd take 2 mil to play on NY third line. Sheltered minutes, become a millionaire, play less each night so you can have a longer career. Sign me up.

I'd be happy to warm the bench for free. Hell, I literally PAY to sit in worse seats. I don't see how that applies to Lafreniere though.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
You can go 10% over. NY would match (unless you throw insane money at him, which you end up shooting yourself in the long run) and make a subsequent move to get under.
Which would cost them a 1st rd pick to get rid of said contract (Goodrow)

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I think either of these is what it would take for NYI to not match:

1 Year Deal:
Year 1: $6,435,186
Qualifying offer in 2024: $6,435,186

2 Year Deal:
Year 1: $5,476,754
Year 2: $7,393,618
Qualifying offer in 2025: $7,393,618

3 Year Deal:
Year 1: $4,626,857
Year 2: $6,246,256
Year 3: $8,432,445
Qualifying Offer in 2026: $8,432,445

All three options have a cap hit of $6,435,186 which offers comensation of a 1st and 3rd round picks
NYR can't sign him at 4.2 unless they dump Goodrow which would require a 1st rd pick or a top prospect.

So at the end of the day would NYR have

1- a 2nd rder for Laf

Or

2- Keep Laf at 4.2 and lose Goodrow + a 1st rd pick. Is Laf a 4.2 for 1 year worth Goodrow + a 1st?

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
For a player that so many people on this board say is a bust there is certainly a ton of threads for offer sheets and trades. Its almost as if fans realize he has been on the 3rd line with next to no powerplay time and put in the right situation could excel. So weird

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
NYR can't sign him at 4.2 unless they dump Goodrow which would require a 1st rd pick or a top prospect.

So at the end of the day would NYR have

1- a 2nd rder for Laf

Or

2- Keep Laf at 4.2 and lose Goodrow + a 1st rd pick. Is Laf a 4.2 for 1 year worth Goodrow + a 1st?

Speaking to the bolded, I think NYR chooses Laf pretty easily honestly.

Reactions: UnSandvich

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
For a player that so many people on this board say is a bust there is certainly a ton of threads for offer sheets and trades. Its almost as if fans realize he has been on the 3rd line with next to no powerplay time and put in the right situation could excel. So weird

To be fair, I don't think the people making 'offers' are the same as the ones saying he's a bust. I for one think he has untapped potential, and will turn out to be a solid top-6 contributer. Laf probably has one of the widest set of opinions on him amongst NHL fans honestly.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Speaking to the bolded, I think NYR chooses Laf pretty easily honestly.
Me too, but it would cost them a 1st. Which is why a team should offer sheet Laf and put NY in this tough position. Either you walk away with Laf or handcuff the Rangers

Laf ain’t worth the gamble
He absolutely is lol. There is almost no question his value and potential >>> the 2nd round pick it would cost to offer sheet him at 4.25

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
I'm not sure if this is a thread designed to rehash the "Laf sucks, but deserves to be traded for nothing or an offer sheet" debates that's been had 300 times, or a "Goodrow is a capdump equivalent to needing a 1st round pick+ to dump" debate that's also happened 300 times.

For the record: neither is true. The Rangers match anything short of ~$6M+ on multiple years (and even then, probably try), and Goodrow will not require a 1st round pick or top prospect to move if they wanted to.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I don't think any teams would do it. Cause you basically don't know what you have. KK for example had much more proven himself(giving him 6 is still extremely dumb though). You basically could be throwing money in a lake.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I know offer sheets are incredibly rare, but it seems that the Rangers are very very tight against the cap and would be incredibly vulnerable to an offer sheet of 1 year, 4 mil for Laf.

According to Capfriendly they have 6.175 in cap space with 21 players signed and K’andre Miller and Laf still unsigned. Even assuming Miller gets a bridge deal at around 4 mil per year ( I could easily see him getting up to 5-6 mil), that would leave only 2.175 for Laf. Even if they commit to a 22 man roster, that would leave 3 mil for Laf.

If a team were to take a risk and offer sheet him to 1 year at 4.25 mil (would only cost a 2nd as compensation), would the Rangers not be absolutely screwed? It seems to me that their only disposable asset is Goodrow, and I don’t see anyone taking on that contract. They could look at moving Trouba or Trocheck, but that seems like it would require significant cap gymnastists and would be very difficult to pull off given their expensive contracts with term left.

I know it’s very unlikely, but I think this would be a prime offer sheet opportunity for a team with cap space who wants to take a shot on a high-potential young player who is buried on the Rangers depth chart. And I bet Laf would jump at the politburo to sign an offer sheet for that exact reason.
LaF is available for profitable trade return
despite not listening to bern
NY still has moves it can make [eg trade Lindgren for pick(s)] to come up w/extra scratch
they will match anything short of a ridiculously number

another time we can talk deal, gotta run

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I think either of these is what it would take for NYI to not match:

1 Year Deal:
Year 1: $6,435,186
Qualifying offer in 2024: $6,435,186

2 Year Deal:
Year 1: $5,476,754
Year 2: $7,393,618
Qualifying offer in 2025: $7,393,618

3 Year Deal:
Year 1: $4,626,857
Year 2: $6,246,256
Year 3: $8,432,445
Qualifying Offer in 2026: $8,432,445

All three options have a cap hit of $6,435,186 which offers comensation of a 1st and 3rd round picks
I can confirm NYI will not match any of those offers. :sarcasm:

Reactions: KevinRedkey

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
He likes it in NY, and a new coach offers a clean slate,
i think you only get his attention with a high Hit, long deal
A new coach doesn’t change the fact that he’s got two established vets ahead of him on the depth chart. Going to a team with an opening for a top 6 LW who’s willing to part with a 2nd makes sense for him

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
I'm not sure if this is a thread designed to rehash the "Laf sucks, but deserves to be traded for nothing or an offer sheet" debates that's been had 300 times, or a "Goodrow is a capdump equivalent to needing a 1st round pick+ to dump" debate that's also happened 300 times.

For the record: neither is true. The Rangers match anything short of ~$6M+ on multiple years (and even then, probably try), and Goodrow will not require a 1st round pick or top prospect to move if they wanted to.
Hahaha. Thank you for taking it so seriously. This thread is ‘designed’ to discuss the possibility of an unlikely offer sheet. If you actually took the time to read anything I said, I’m obviously not saying Laf sucks lol. Why so angry?

For the record Goodrow would very likely require a top prospect or a 1st to move. No team wants 4 years of a 4th liner over 3 mil. Love the homerism tho.

If you actually read anything (instead of just replying blindly) you’d know most people agree the Rangers would match an offer under 6, but that it would put the Rangers in a tough position. Even if it costs a 2nd to move Goodrow (which is likely not enough) then it would still be worth it for another team to offer sheet him to handcuff the Ramgers

I'm sure Laf will sign that offersheet any day now
Love that you come on a hockey forum to passive aggressively inform everyone else that unlikely events are unlikely. Your contributions are much appreciated

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
bottom line is this guy WAS an epic fail due to skating not being NHL sufficient at day 1.
Took yr + a half, but got it to minimal par and it has been slowly improving. Still nothing to brag about, but adequate.
So all this about him being an epic fail the whole time is irrelevant moot, b'c he turned the corner on the key item holding him back.

Other big thing that MUST be acknowledged is kid line.
Real thing, not hypothetical.
If they ltb and give that line mo mins, pref make as 1st line
all this totals go up.

NY will not deal except for overpayment in currency we want.
Does not have to be super crazy overpayment, but it does have to be signif enough to let him go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad