Value of: Alexis Lafreniere Offer Sheet

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
The 6 was part of the acquisition cost. Carolina wanted to get Kotkaniemi after Montreal refused to trade him, so they made a high offer in the 1st+3rd bracket ($6.166M was the cutoff in 2021.)

Now they have Kotkaniemi locked up for most of his prime at $4.82M. Which Montreal might not have matched, but Carolina couldn't sign him for 8 years anyway, and anything over 5 years would have probably required more compensation than 1st+3rd.

Is Lafrenriere worth a $6.4M offer sheet? I'm not sure. I'd probably look at a 1 year $4.2M offer sheet, see if he accepts it, and see what the Rangers have to do to make it fit rather than lose him for a 2nd round pick.

There was plenty of discussion on the Canes board of Carolina looking at a Laf offer sheet given a lot of cap space this off-season, but most of that has been taken up now by Orlov, Bunting, and the pending trade for TDA at 50%. Carolina didn't make the offer sheet on Kotkaniemi until late in the off-season after trying to sign UFAs and trying to trade for Kotkaniemi. They seem to have landed some of their priorities this off-season so I doubt we see an offer sheet from Carolina.
That is exactly what I’m saying. Just puts the Rangers in a tough spot. Either they match and have to sacrifice picks or futures to move Goodrow or move someone they don’t want to move. Or they chose not to match (unlikely) and you get Laf at a massive discount. Lose-lose for the rangers

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Did I say YOU said that? No, I didn't. But it's clearly the point. You didn't have to "search" very hard considering there is literally another Montreal and Laf proposal on the main page (just like every week when 2-3 more pop up). That's my point. If you were interested in a discussion around your "unlikely" scenario, you could have spent 30 seconds looking at the titles of the top 10 threads on the main page and gone into one of the others with the same Habs fans doing the same things they are in your thread.

Also, "unlikely" is a overstatement. There have been 2 signed and unmatched offer sheets since the locked out season (Penner and Kotkaniemi). That's 2 in 18 seasons, one of which was deemed a horrific overpayment the moment it was announced, which is what it would take.

Again, I'm not angry at all, nor am I "shitting on everyone's opinions," but thanks for again assuming and insulting, once again providing evidence you weren't looking for an honest discussion.
Do you not see how it’s a little silly to come into a thread on a hockey forum and tell people that their suggestions are unlikely? Like what percentage of trade proposals and ideas that are suggested on here actually happen? 0.01%? 0.0001%? I literally just wanted to gauge what Rangers fans think their team would do if presented an offer sheet, and also see what other teams would be in a position to offer sheet him and what teams might wanna do that/ have cap space to do it.

And I didn’t insult you lol, I just created this thread to discuss the fun possibility of an offer sheet, to which you responded with ‘for the record this will NEVER happen and it will NOT cost that much to move Goodrow’ as if you can predict the future and everyone else is wrong and just talking about it again is stupid.

As for not going through this forum and searching to previous threads about this, I sincerely apologize from the bottom of my heart for that reckless conduct. I assure you it will not happen again. Thank you very much for monitoring these boards and pointing out potential duplicate threads. Your service does not go unnoticed.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Ah, the classic, 100% arbitrary ‘he lacks drive’ argument.

Comparing him to only first overall picks and ignoring evidence of other players who also took longer to develop is also a completely arbitrary cut-off.

Insisting he’s definitely gonna be a career third liner and ignoring evidence of statistically comparable players at the same age who have since become top-line forwards just clearly shows the flaw in your argument. Players develop at different rates, even players drafted around the same spot, and the 6 examples of comparable guys is clear evidence that he could easily develop into a top-6 guy in the next 2 years. But at this point all you’re doing is setting yourself up to look absolutely ridiculous in 1 or 2 years when he inevitably gets more mature, gets stronger, and continues to develop and gets a chance with better offensive players. No point in arguing with subjective bs like ‘he lacks intensity’ so let’s just revisit in 2 years.
If you say so lmao. You’ll be saying the same shit this time next year.

Btw, #1 overall picks have always been compared to each other, but now it’s a problem because Lafreniere is one of the worst ones ever and you happen to be a Rangers fan :laugh:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This is a complete fabrication on your part. There weren’t any concerns at all regarding his skating at the time of the draft. If you’re going to post BS like this, where is the proof? Link to a source prior to the draft that mentioned his skating as a weakness.
I do not have to capitulate to yr demand it be before the draft
This guy was close to consensus 1OA, and there were red flags, but it was not presumed to be so severe as it turned out to actually be.

Draisatil had problems for 2-3 months w/his skating when he first got here. Of course, he is a magnificent beast of a phys specimen, so once they figured it out he was fully on track. LaF is taking longer, but he has arrived -- barely, but is there.

So asked....
Took me about 15 seconds on Google. You should try it.

Skating Grade: 55
If I had to pick a weakness in Lafreniere’s game, this would be the area to focus on, but I still give it an above-average grade. I say “weakness” because, in watching a lot of Lafrenière’s games, I find his game can lack pace and speed at times. He doesn’t hit the line with speed on a lot of his zone entries and the play dies on his stick.

But I'm sure you'll ignore it and spew more nonsense. No doubt. lol
well said.

... and answered....

Nonsense? I’ve done nothing but post verifiable fact, along with Lafreniere’s stats. Apparently that’s offensive to NYR fans.

And I said before the draft. That piece is from a columnist after NHL training camp, when we had the benefit of seeing him against NHL competition. Not to mention, the guy clarifies that he doesn’t consider it a weakness, per se, but an area for Laf to work on. That’s a stark contrast from what the other poster was claiming.
And now w/denial we see moving the goalposts by saying the opinion is from a columnist, and it is after training camp.

If we knew LaF was gonna have such skating issues, we'd have either taken Byfield, or more likely, not thrown him to the wolves on day 1 and made sure we worked extensively on his skating

How about Hanifin for Lefreniere plus a pcik or prospect?
Can't make the time not to give this the full consideration it deserves, but that said, if we are selling LaF for profit to the highest bidder, then:
1. CGY bids are no less welcome
competing bids push up price.

2. Some variation of LaF + for Hanny + makes a lot of sense.
Howev, besides value, NY needs to address how as to cap [see below]

I would love that, I just think the main reason NYR would move him is cap space so i’m not sure if they could afford Hanifin. But I definitely like that from a Flames perspective.
Even if they don't ltb [listen to bern] they can still do it tho more extreme moves need to be made.

bern suggests from prior and now also:
Panarin reduced 1.x+ down to an even 10 per + nyr 2024, 2025 and 2026 1sts
to Ana
for Ducks 2024, 2025 and 2026 2nds + Vatrano

Lindgren + NNYR 2nd + Leshitshow [cap dump] + Lindbom [a 36OA G]
for
Helleson + BOS 2024 1st

explain:
Strome + bread have chemistry
Ana has enuf cap space,
has added good young pivots incl Carlsson, the next Getzlaf
Strome fully replaceable
max production of Strome + bread as a pair, retain if nec, deal for profit

Lindgren is like 25 you are looking at 5ish yrs before he breaks down, but that is 5 solid years.
Younger, replaces Fowler at 31, so sell high on him
losing Helleson is a wince, but overall is good

NY needs to extend KAM and push both Robertson + Scanlin, but
Hani as a stopgap at min works nice
--- IF we first move bread

If you want Lafreniere, you don't start there...you start w/KA Miller. Offer him 3 X $6.4 million and really put NYR on the spot. If they match, then you offer Laf 3 X $4.2 million. In both cases, the kids end up arbitration eligible RFAs. Contracts could be structured w/signing bonuses and larger last year $$$.

Almost positive NYR matches on Miller and that puts them in a damn near untenable position on Laf. If they don't match on Miller, then you get a premier, young defender for a 1st and a 3rd. I think that puts the Rangers in such a difficult position given the NMCs they've got.....and dealing Goodrow still wouldn't give them enough cap space to sign Laf in the above scenario.
That's good offensive strategy, but NYR has other options to extend KAM full 8 x 6.25
LaF may decide to stay w/productive kid line esp if they ltb and make it #1 line = mo mins = mo pts = mo $$
betting on himself a la Judge may be smartest move

and NY can still move various other pieces to get cap it needs
just stupid to not have done it my way before

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Yea I'd take 2 mil to play on NY third line. Sheltered minutes, become a millionaire, play less each night so you can have a longer career. Sign me up.
If that was his attitude i'd say keep him but i don't believe any pro would have that type of shitty attitude.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Laffy is going to be the new Dubois...but NO THANKS from Habs

WHY would anyone do an offer sheet? Rangers will laugh and sign any offer sheet under 4.2 million, or laugh and take a 1st and a 2nd if anyone thought that he is worth that.

His value now is a late 1st at best. Another 30-40 point season and it's an early 2nd.

Jacques Strap

Aug 12, 2005
I know offer sheets are incredibly rare, but it seems that the Rangers are very very tight against the cap and would be incredibly vulnerable to an offer sheet of 1 year, 4 mil for Laf.

According to Capfriendly they have 6.175 in cap space with 21 players signed and K’andre Miller and Laf still unsigned. Even assuming Miller gets a bridge deal at around 4 mil per year ( I could easily see him getting up to 5-6 mil), that would leave only 2.175 for Laf. Even if they commit to a 22 man roster, that would leave 3 mil for Laf.

If a team were to take a risk and offer sheet him to 1 year at 4.25 mil (would only cost a 2nd as compensation), would the Rangers not be absolutely screwed? It seems to me that their only disposable asset is Goodrow, and I don’t see anyone taking on that contract. They could look at moving Trouba or Trocheck, but that seems like it would require significant cap gymnastists and would be very difficult to pull off given their expensive contracts with term left.

I know it’s very unlikely, but I think this would be a prime offer sheet opportunity for a team with cap space who wants to take a shot on a high-potential young player who is buried on the Rangers depth chart. And I bet Laf would jump at the politburo to sign an offer sheet for that exact reason.
I don't think he would want to play in Calgary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad