Value of: Alexis Lafrenière in a trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
I'd assume he's worth similar to Dach last year. A pick in the 10-15 range.
Dach had nearly as many points in 58 games.

If I had to buy futures on Dach or Laf I’m taking Dach at this point.

Also Dach actually shows flashes of what made him a top pick. He has his moments.

I just haven’t seen the same from Laf.

• Haha
Reactions: kroufum

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I'm actually curious what the Rangers wouldn't match in terms of offer-sheets now...

4.000?
5.500?
6.500?
What's the walk-away and take the comp number?

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
how bad does Vancouver want Laf and Schneider again? What are the plans with EP40? Does Elias want to stay there long-term?

If the Rangers move Lafreniere I imagine it would be apart of a large package going the other way to acquire a young C. Think Laf/Chytil/Schneider ++ for Elias

No way they move Elias unless Elias requests it. He makes 7,350,000 cap hit right now. Can the Rangers even afford him with moving Goodrow. Need to resign Igor in 2 years otherwise who replaces him. Garand ready in 2 years to replace Igor if Igor gets dealt and does not sign long term?

Reactions: AirGut

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Would everyone think he was a bust if he was a one way cherry picker who put up a ppg but wouldn't go back past his own blueline? Kid plays a good two way game. He gets almost no PP time. When he gets more opportunity he will get better numbers. Not interested in trading him.
I agree 100% but he WILL never get the opportunities in New York

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Rs do not have to make a 'fair' offer b'c LaF value, objectively, projects to rise, b'c:
- his skating was atrocious at best first half of his elc, and now is par/just above par and seems to slowly being improving; and
- he demonstrates production w/chemistry on kid line, which is trending up and will increase further if they listen to bern, keep the kid line together, and make it 2nd or even 1st line = mo mins

he is not the next Jagr; he IS the next Steve Vickers, imo

Rs need to insist sufficiently high value be respected plus profit incentive to deal without getting greedy and overplaying their hand. But suitors must acknowledge NY is not forced to move LaF at this point.

What does that mean?
Value to Canada based teams is higher due to marketing considerations, which means $$$$, which should not be ignored, but not overestimated.
Generic: -- generally:
Rs will seek/imo accept, best offer in preferred currency, which ideally is pick(s) as principal piece due to adds side benefit of youth and more immediately important, helps with slowing cap pressure.

All serious offers are welcome.
Presumption is Canada based teams get additional value from marketing standpoint.

Rs have to press this to their advantage while not overplaying their hand.

Crazy overpayment not required, but you must present a need for us to take what you put on the table; reasonable overpayment.

btw - for which team are you thinking here
He's worth at most his OS, which is a 2nd

Yeah not giving up on a 21 year old former 1OA whos gotten zero PP time and has been playing 3rd line minutes.

Top 10 picks + a top tier prospect would be the starting point.

If columbus said #3 OA you do it
You're not getting that lol

Guy can't skate as is softer than butter.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Laffy and Dubois are getting the multi year "trade Kerfoot" treatment.

At this point, Laffy is worth a mid 2nd. It may not make the Ranger fans happy but don't blame the other team fans, blame Laffy.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We are happy to keep him in that case. The chances of hitting on a 40 point player with a 2nd are miniscule.
And you should because he has a higher value to you then to other teams.

Everybody keeps thinking that we will trade Anderson and yet, it never happens because he is worth more to us then any HF trade that may happen. About the only way I can see him get traded is for Dubois, which is fine by me.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Top 10 pick +

He's already scoring at a 2nd line level while playing 3rd line minutes and 2nd PP, at the age of 21. He was 2nd among Ranger F's in hits. And he's cheap. The Rangers have no reason to move him at present, barring a significant overpay. They're not going to replace his current production for less money, let alone any improvements he'll make as he develops further.

MOD
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Yeah not giving up on a 21 year old former 1OA whos gotten zero PP time and has been playing 3rd line minutes.

Top 10 picks + a top tier prospect would be the starting point.

If columbus said #3 OA you do it
Top 10 picks (plural) and top tier prospect is staring point? How about a Habs 5OA + Owen Beck + FLA 1st ++? Would that do it? I know FLA's pick is a late first but maybe we can add our 2nd to sweeten the deal?

• Haha
Reactions: jellybeans

jaywills1020

Mar 14, 2004

At this point, Laffy is worth a mid 2nd. It may not make the Ranger fans happy but don't blame the other team fans, blame Laffy.
Don’t blame the fans. Blame the coaches who give the young guys zero opportunity to succeed. The fans know what’s going on and the ones that watch them on the regular know what the problems are.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
His value is a mid 2nd round pick at this point. This thread gets made at least once a month.

What is the proportion of 2nd round picks than even get one 40 pts season in the NHL? And who between Lafrenière or a 2nd round pick has the higher probability of breaking out?

Trading him for a 2nd would be nonsense.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
There won’t be a trade cuz they will ask too much.

I still think fair value and somewhere he can potentially go for is Habs 1st (from FLA) with a small plus.

But yeah I see Rangers wanting far more in return

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This dude is like a year away from being traded for like a 3rd round pick.
Or, if Rs listen to bern and make kid line = 2nd, maybe even 1st line, LaF gets mo mins, better production, etc, that would be the likely result in 1 yr.

Of course, Rs could not listen to bern, could break up kid line, and eff it up.
Wouldn't be the first time.

But bern's way, LaF continues to rise will be another Vickers
He is not soft
He is barely par as a skater but that is improving -- slowly -- but improving.
Rating his value now as if he has not made that adjustment is not accurate as to present value.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Or, if Rs listen to bern and make kid line = 2nd, maybe even 1st line, LaF gets mo mins, better production, etc, that would be the likely result in 1 yr.

Of course, Rs could not listen to bern, could break up kid line, and eff it up.
Wouldn't be the first time.

But bern's way, LaF continues to rise will be another Vickers
He is not soft
He is barely par as a skater but that is improving -- slowly -- but improving.
Rating his value now as if he has not made that adjustment is not accurate as to present value.
Have they ever listened to bern? Nieves still isnt 1C last i checked.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022

Laffy worth a mid 2nd LOL. Some people are really out of their minds here. Said it once and ill say it again, hfboards is the only place on earth where the majority of people would prefer 3 1st’s rather than a cup

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Dach had nearly as many points in 58 games.

If I had to buy futures on Dach or Laf I’m taking Dach at this point.

Also Dach actually shows flashes of what made him a top pick. He has his moments.

I just haven’t seen the same from Laf.

Dach is nearly a year older.

Dach played almost 3 and a half minutes more per game (and significantly more time on the PP)

Dach only scored 22 even strength points to Lafreniere's 35

Dach's shooting % this season was nearly double that of his previous three seasons (which had been pretty consistent, making this year look like a aberration)

Laf's shooting % this season was a third lower than the previous two seasons (again, making it seem like this year was the aberration)

Dach plays with Montreal's best players. Lafreniere plays with the Rangers' 3rd line.

Ultimately it doesn't matter. Laf is not a bust. If he never improves from where he is right now (which is a stupid thing to assume of a 21 year old player), he's still an NHL player. No team is going to offer more than a low-ball or, at best, a lateral trade for him, and the Rangers have no need to accept even fair value, as they would already have a player of that caliber (Laf) who has a chance to become even more.

Running out the current group (with the vets taking up all the minutes and starving the kids of the ice time they need to develop) doesn't work. I'd rather retain on Panarin, bring back a bunch of assets by moving him, and thereby free up the minutes Laf needs on the PP and in the top six. If Laf still doesn't develop, oh well. It isn't like the current group was going to win the Cup anyway, and at least then you'd have the assets in the fold from trading Panarin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad