Alexander Burmistrov "will almost certainly return to NHL"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
I'd happily have Burmistrov back, and then figure the rest out once he is a secured to a reasonable contract.

I have no idea where he slots in, unless the 4th line is a realistic option. It would give us a bit of insurance should we be unable to work something out with Fro long term.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I think I agree with you, but either way, I also agree with ps's comment about it being a good day for the Jet's player asset inventory. If he sticks, great: if we get something back in a trade, also great. Worst case scenario is that we don't utilize him on the ice, or trade him for an asset.

My thoughts as well. Best thing for us is for Burmi to have a good season this year in the KHL.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I'd happily have Burmistrov back, and then figure the rest out once he is a secured to a reasonable contract.

I have no idea where he slots in, unless the 4th line is a realistic option. It would give us a bit of insurance should we be unable to work something out with Fro long term.

Wing, third line to start is where I would slot him in.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Can't say I see a whole lot of evidence in this post.

Well, the anecdotes of his angelic behaviour are just as solid?

'I heard he played shinny with some kids one night'.

You can't go a month or two without this being brought up here. So he skated with kids one night. So did I. SIGN ME UP TO AN NHL CONTRACT!

'I hear he's a rink rat.' = ALWAYS THE FIRST ON AND LAST OFF THERE IS NO QUIT IN THIS GUY.

:sarcasm:

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Well, the anecdotes of his angelic behaviour are just as solid?

'I heard he played shinny with some kids one night'.

You can't go a month or two without this being brought up here. So he skated with kids one night. So did I. SIGN ME UP TO AN NHL CONTRACT!

'I hear he's a rink rat.' = ALWAYS THE FIRST ON AND LAST OFF THERE IS NO QUIT IN THIS GUY.

:sarcasm:

Those are facts though. See the difference?

It's really easy to judge someone when you have no idea what it's like to take their journey. What I have seen and read about the Russian culture, it is not one that easily assimilates to our western ways.

The way they communicate is far more blunt and people can find that off putting. Why do you think that many, many Russians seem to have the same or similar issues? A little understanding and trying to see the other side of the issue could be very helpful here.

I am not saying that drafting Russian players isn't a big risk, or can be a pain in the ass. What I am saying is painting Burmistrov as some spoiled brat or bad person is an incredibly simplistic and unfair view.

Saying he's a bad hockey player is ludicrous.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Would saying he's a great hockey player also be ludicrous?

It's all opinon, but, in my opinion, yes.

I think he has the potential to be a great hockey player but whether he will reach that potential is yet to be seen.

I don't see anyone saying that, though.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
I'm saying he's an easily replaced player.

I don't recall Antropov calling any other teammate in the NHL difficult to play with in an interview. And Antropov wasn't some new import with no media savy or a poor understanding of English when he said it either. He knew how to express himself in English. So to say it's all bs is misrepresenting the facts.

I don't care if Noel was the worst coach ever, if you are a
3rd year player with 60 points in 200 games you don't deserve star treatment. You shut up play the game the way the coach tells you or you get benched. He got benched.

He wanted to much money for what he had shown The jets wouldn't meet his demands remember, they could have paid him, and when he didn't get it he took off to the K. Fine he left. His right. Free countries and all that.

Doesn't mean I have to want him back.

Doesn't make his character above reproach.

His current stats arent knocking my socks off either. Not when compared to Tim Stapleton's numbers. I don't see much progression that isn't attributed to league quality.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
I would trade him for 2 reasons.

1. I wouldn't want him around any of the kids coming. I dunno his attitude exactly but if I were making the decisions he wouldn't be back in that lockroom ever.
2. I wouldn't want him taking up a spot on the roster with so many other kids coming. Only way to make room is if a trade is coming to Fro, Ladd or Buff since their contracts are coming due.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS

I don't recall Antropov calling any other teammate in the NHL difficult to play with in an interview. And Antropov wasn't some new import with no media savy or a poor understanding of English when he said it either. He knew how to express himself in English. So to say it's all bs is misrepresenting the facts.

3rd year player with 60 points in 200 games you don't deserve star treatment. You shut up play the game the way the coach tells you or you get benched. He got benched.

He wanted to much money for what he had shown The jets wouldn't meet his demands remember, they could have paid him, and when he didn't get it he took off to the K. Fine he left. His right. Free countries and all that.

His current stats arent knocking my socks off either. Not when compared to Tim Stapleton's numbers. I don't see much progression that isn't attributed to league quality.

What were his contract demands again?

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
Has Burmi played wing?

A 4th line of him and a couple of young guys could be a lot of fun next year. Not sure if that's what he has in mind.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
Obviously more than the jets were interested in paying.

so... no hard evidence :)

just making a point that there's a lot of speculation on both sides of the issue, with very little in facts to support it.

My opinion is he'd be a great fit on a 3rd line for the Jets, which would allow us to either move Buff back to where he belongs on D, or shop him.

I can understand why people are skeptical of Burmi's ability (or willingness with the Jets) to perform, at least offensively, in the NHL. I contend that he was not going to do well in a dump and chase system like Noel's and that under this new direction, he's more likely to succeed. I'd also contend that he was always rock solid defensively and on the PK. It's not a bad thing to have more of that.

I think a lot of it will depend on his willingness to accept that role, because as much as I doubt Jets management on many fronts, I do get the feeling they'd be happy with him on the team in such a role.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

On the big show yesterday they said something about him being a disruptive force on the team. I'd never heard that before & have no clue where they heard it, but it starting to make sense that may have been the issue with him.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
On the big show yesterday they said something about him being a disruptive force on the team. I'd never heard that before & have no clue where they heard it, but it starting to make sense that may have been the issue with him.

It was talked about. I've looked for a link but can't find it.

I think it was Beyak on a pregame tv bit mentioned he was being difficult to coach, didn't listen to Veterans, and was demanding respect for his abilities. then either that day or later within the week Antro said what he said. Beyak's statments might be his own speculation, but Antro is a direct quote.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
Well Other than the facts..... Antro called him out in the media which no-one has addressed or disputed BTW, and the fact that He left for Russia after he was NOT signed by the jets.

You do understand what "Evidence" means right?

I'd like to see your evidence on Antropov's quote, as it's the first time I've heard that mentioned. My understanding was that Antropov was one of the few that Burmi interacted with.

You also haven't proven that he left for the KHL over money. Your quote: "He wanted to much money for what he had shown " My opinion is he left, as was his right due to his contract status, for reasons related to Noel, playing time, and who knows what else he was thinking. That's just as likely as your supposition.

Maybe tax free money in Russia played a part, but no one knows whether 1. he was offered a contract by the Jets (probably was) 2. what the terms were.

So again, we are all speculating, based on our biases regarding this player.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
I'd like to see your evidence on Antropov's quote, as it's the first time I've heard that mentioned. My understanding was that Antropov was one of the few that Burmi interacted with.

You also haven't proven that he left for the KHL over money. Your quote: "He wanted to much money for what he had shown " My opinion is he left, as was his right due to his contract status, for reasons related to Noel, playing time, and who knows what else he was thinking. That's just as likely as your supposition.

Maybe tax free money in Russia played a part, but no one knows whether 1. he was offered a contract by the Jets (probably was) 2. what the terms were.

So again, we are all speculating, based on our biases regarding this player.

If It hadn't been brought up multiple times in multiple threads in the past I would go look for the link.

There was a lot of talk on these boards during Burmistrov contract negotiations it's all unofficial but the numbers the press were reporting were high.

Clearly it was more than the jets were willing to pay or he would have been signed.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Again a three year player with 60 points leaving a team because he disagrees with a coach and his roll on an NHL team doesn't raise alarm Bells about an attitude problem?

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
Again a three year player with 60 points leaving a team because he disagrees with a coach and his roll on an NHL team doesn't raise alarm Bells about an attitude problem?

I don't think that situation is as unique as you make it (maybe the 'leaving the team' part). The difference may be cultural in that he didn't hide it under platitudes like we're used to hearing from players.

I think the end result is he was obviously right about Noel, he was just months ahead of the curve :sarcasm:

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011

Someone choosing to pursue more lucrative employment in their home town and country doesn't really sound like an attitude issue to me. Especially when we're taking differences in salary that can amount to hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Jets homer see above comments.

He had every right to follow the money wherever he wants. We don't have to love him because he could make more than we were offering

I noticed no one in the NHL felt he was worth an offer sheet.
Wasn't arbitration an option as well? Why didn't we use it if he was such a valuable prospect.

Kcjetsfan.
Sure Noel got fired. Except Noel had the team playing at league average, "make the playoffs" level-except for Pavelec- as the stats guys love to point out, so he wasn't the worst coach ever. How does any of that justify a third line c with poor production telling the coach how he should be used?

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
Jets homer see above comments.

He had every right to follow the money wherever he wants. We don't have to love him because he could make more than we were offering

I noticed no one in the NHL felt he was worth an offer sheet.
Wasn't arbitration an option as well? Why didn't we use it if he was such a valuable prospect.

Kcjetsfan.
Sure Noel got fired. Except Noel had the team playing at league average, "make the playoffs" level-except for Pavelec- as the stats guys love to point out, so he wasn't the worst coach ever. How does any of that justify a third line c with poor production telling the coach how he should be used?

I don't think anyone burns an offer sheet on a 3rd liner in general.
I don't know the rules on arbitration but I'd argue if it was available and not used, it indicates that it was less about money and more about other stuff.

I'm not saying he should be telling the coach. I'm saying he's right in thinking his performance was better than Jokinen, and that other player's performance (like Kane) was better with Burmi than Jokinen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad