Player Discussion Alex Newhook

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I dont get people reaction with Newhook. He obviously isn't playing well right now, but for MONTHS people are saying that he's better suited for the 3rd line. He's now being use in a role that nobody saw him being able to do well in... and we are surprised of that???? WTF....

MSL is using him there by default, and stubbornness, but lets be real, he's not a fixture on the top 6. Once Laine and Demidov are in the line up, Newhook goes down a line and should be in a more appropriate chair for him.

So for now, let just let the guy do his thing understanding that we can expect him to be the next Pavel Bure. As long as he give good effort, we should be happy.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
He's a complementary 2nd line player being asked to carry a sleepwalking Dach and Armia so far this year. We went through this exact same thing last year where he struggled to produce playing C with Anderson and pre-breakout Slafkovsky on his line and he was declared a bust early in the year and then had an immediate turnaround when put in a position to succeed.

His role is to bring speed and goalscoring ability as a complementary piece on a 2nd line or to be a premium 3rd line scorer/flex 3C option/emergency 2C. We didn't pay him to be a top 6 line driver in either financial or asset value terms, that's what Dach and Laine are for.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
He’s been the worst performing forward on the team. I’m talking in term of production, every time he has the puck in the offensive zone or that an opportunity opens up for him he fumbles the puck.

Sure, he got a lot of speed but hasn’t shown he could take advantage of that strength this season. And his inability to with battles for the puck is worrying.

I’m all for giving players time to adjust, but this was discussed when he was acquired.

Either he can leverage his speed consistently or there might be better option in the long run.

I also don’t subscribe to “blame all the other players on the team but him” thing. Even if Dach hasn’t been more productive (and he’s having a lot of problems with his playmaking which is unlike him), you can see him on the ice every shift. He was literally one of the only forward with battles. Same for Dvorak and his line, he was also great on the PK.

Gallagher been doing good, and even if people like to shit on Armia he is way more noticeable on the ice (for good reasons) than Newhook is. Even Anderson is having good moments and using speed to create some opportunities.

Sure, He could score two next game and you’ll have everyone running in, but his inability to win any battle is a bad sign for his future on the team.

Jul 6, 2016
I dont get people reaction with Newhook. He obviously isn't playing well right now, but for MONTHS people are saying that he's better suited for the 3rd line. He's now being use in a role that nobody saw him being able to do well in... and we are surprised of that???? WTF....

MSL is using him there by default, and stubbornness, but lets be real, he's not a fixture on the top 6. Once Laine and Demidov are in the line up, Newhook goes down a line and should be in a more appropriate chair for him.

So for now, let just let the guy do his thing understanding that we can expect him to be the next Pavel Bure. As long as he give good effort, we should be happy.
Last year he was good and productive with Gally and Armia. Why not trying it again ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad