Player Discussion Alex Newhook

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I dont get people reaction with Newhook. He obviously isn't playing well right now, but for MONTHS people are saying that he's better suited for the 3rd line. He's now being use in a role that nobody saw him being able to do well in... and we are surprised of that???? WTF....

MSL is using him there by default, and stubbornness, but lets be real, he's not a fixture on the top 6. Once Laine and Demidov are in the line up, Newhook goes down a line and should be in a more appropriate chair for him.

So for now, let just let the guy do his thing understanding that we can expect him to be the next Pavel Bure. As long as he give good effort, we should be happy.

Reactions: tnq and MoneyManny

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
He's a complementary 2nd line player being asked to carry a sleepwalking Dach and Armia so far this year. We went through this exact same thing last year where he struggled to produce playing C with Anderson and pre-breakout Slafkovsky on his line and he was declared a bust early in the year and then had an immediate turnaround when put in a position to succeed.

His role is to bring speed and goalscoring ability as a complementary piece on a 2nd line or to be a premium 3rd line scorer/flex 3C option/emergency 2C. We didn't pay him to be a top 6 line driver in either financial or asset value terms, that's what Dach and Laine are for.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
He’s been the worst performing forward on the team. I’m talking in term of production, every time he has the puck in the offensive zone or that an opportunity opens up for him he fumbles the puck.

Sure, he got a lot of speed but hasn’t shown he could take advantage of that strength this season. And his inability to with battles for the puck is worrying.

I’m all for giving players time to adjust, but this was discussed when he was acquired.

Either he can leverage his speed consistently or there might be better option in the long run.

I also don’t subscribe to “blame all the other players on the team but him” thing. Even if Dach hasn’t been more productive (and he’s having a lot of problems with his playmaking which is unlike him), you can see him on the ice every shift. He was literally one of the only forward with battles. Same for Dvorak and his line, he was also great on the PK.

Gallagher been doing good, and even if people like to shit on Armia he is way more noticeable on the ice (for good reasons) than Newhook is. Even Anderson is having good moments and using speed to create some opportunities.

Sure, He could score two next game and you’ll have everyone running in, but his inability to win any battle is a bad sign for his future on the team.

Jul 6, 2016
I dont get people reaction with Newhook. He obviously isn't playing well right now, but for MONTHS people are saying that he's better suited for the 3rd line. He's now being use in a role that nobody saw him being able to do well in... and we are surprised of that???? WTF....

MSL is using him there by default, and stubbornness, but lets be real, he's not a fixture on the top 6. Once Laine and Demidov are in the line up, Newhook goes down a line and should be in a more appropriate chair for him.

So for now, let just let the guy do his thing understanding that we can expect him to be the next Pavel Bure. As long as he give good effort, we should be happy.
Last year he was good and productive with Gally and Armia. Why not trying it again ?

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Last year he was good and productive with Gally and Armia. Why not trying it again ?
That is a good question...I can only speculate that MSL does not want to break Evans line, which is doing ok, that this would force Dvorak on the W and hurt his trade value (HAHAHAA trade value for Dvorak.... ) or he hasn't enough confidence that someone else can play with Dach on then 2nd line?

One way of the other, he's not in the "good chair" right now, that is obvious.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Newhook is not the type of player we need to surround our core with.

He's a small twink who is weak and soft.

We need to trade him.

A late 1st rounder + an early second rounder for THAT ?

It is as worst as Bergevin giving about the same for Dvorak.

Avs fleeced us on Newhook and Barron

:(

Reactions: Habs

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
wouldnt say fleeced , didnt pan out tbh

1729834593366.png

That's fair, but also, Avs knew what they had...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

This.

That could be a good third line. If he can get anything out of Armia it's really adding to the team, and the potential return at the deadline. Armia scored at a 20 goal pace next to him last year.

Evan's has earned a promotion to play with Dach. Or, I always wanted to see Dvo on Dach's wing, and taking draws.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Let's be honest....

He might put up some points and go on a hot streak,

But this can't be a long term solution for the playoffs.....

Solution to what?

Newhook has shown more top 6 potential than Lekhonen did at the same age. There's no reason to doubt he'll keep improving and be as or more effective in a middle 6 winger role through his mid/late 20s... Lek was good enough to be a strong complimentary player on a cup winning and cup contending Avs roster.

If you're expecting him to be a top line play driver, then sure that's a long shot (though not yet out of the question)... But I don't think that's the role he's pencilled in to play.

For now, despite the slow start, he's a more than adequate <3M$ forward... For 2 more seasons after this. Much ado about nothing imo

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

The problem is that Dach has shat the bed. We really need him running the second line. And Armia isn’t a fit there at all.

I get wanting to send a message to Joshua Roy but honestly with the start we’ve had I’d call him up because we need some help.

There’s no way it’s going to be a good second line with Dach in the first (subbing for Slaf) and Newhook centering Armia. Just not going to happen.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Newhook’s good enough to play in the second line. He’s not good enough to carry it.
Exactly how I view it.

Complimentary player, not the main guy. You're happy if he's on your 3rd line that can come up to help the top6 in case of injuries.

It's so hard to evaluate players right now when everyone and I mean EVERY single one is playing like total ass.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
My one issue with Newhook is that he seems to have fanned on a lot of one timer opportunities since the start of season. Maybe the passes were off but it's been a problem.

He's also averaging less than a shot per game which is not good. He needs to put more pucks at the net.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
The problem is that Dach has shat the bed. We really need him running the second line. And Armia isn’t a fit there at all.

I get wanting to send a message to Joshua Roy but honestly with the start we’ve had I’d call him up because we need some help.

There’s no way it’s going to be a good second line with Dach in the first (subbing for Slaf) and Newhook centering Armia. Just not going to happen.
Dach struggling just make Newhook deficiencies more obvious, and similar to Slaf last season, we should give until Dec before judging Dach. That said, then entire line is struggling right now, it's not like Newhook has flashes on his own and that neither player with him can complement his play.

Armia isn't helping, that is for sure, but Roy didn't deserve to stay in the NHL and unlike the other player that are playing like shit, the team had the option to send him in Laval where he can not only learn a lesson but get lots of ice time. So right now, the window is open for him to be call up, he just need to show he deserve it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad