Alex Edler - Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Edler is better than a non-physical Willie Mitchell.

Tanev is better than a non-physical Willie Mitchell...

---

Also, this whole myth about Edler not being able to hit the net has to stop at some point. Has he ever finished outside of the top 30 in SOG? Mostly it's a bunch of top 10 finishes, as far as I know. He's consistently average in terms of blocked shots + missed shots vs shots on net too. Seems like it's just a byproduct of his ice-time and the amount of shots he generates rather than him not being accurate.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Also, this whole myth about Edler not being able to hit the net has to stop at some point. Has he ever finished outside of the top 30 in SOG? Mostly it's a bunch of top 10 finishes, as far as I know. He's consistently average in terms of blocked shots + missed shots vs shots on net too. Seems like it's just a byproduct of his ice-time and the amount of shots he generates rather than him not being accurate.
I just miss the days Edler had a guy like Ehrhoff manning the other point.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I think everyone would love to have a Shea Weber type of #1D but with what Edler brings and is capable of when he finds that playoff gear like when we first played LAK in The playoffs when we were a powerhouse. That hit on Doughboy still sits with me.
Never gets old:

edler-owns-doughty-o.gif

alex-edler-hits-drew-doughty-o.gif

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Depends what you prefer I guess.

Edler is more of a complete player that is above average at everything.

Whereas Tanev is a elite defensive defenseman that is pretty below average at offense.

Both are good #2s

You forget that Edler has serious confidence issues which means he can play from a range of #2 to #4 depending on his mental state.

Tanev is solid as a rock and this season has shown flashes of an offensive side.

Tanev can get the puck out of our zone 98 times out of 100. With Edler it's highly dependent.

Without Tanev, Edler would be a wreck.

Tanev >> Edler.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
You forget that Edler has serious confidence issues which means he can play from a range of #2 to #4 depending on his mental state.

Tanev is solid as a rock and this season has shown flashes of an offensive side.

Tanev can get the puck out of our zone 98 times out of 100. With Edler it's highly dependent.

Tanev >> Edler.

One season under Torts where he struggled (with basically the entire team seriously underperforming) and Edler's now a player that's plagued with confidence issues?

Edler and Tanev play well together and complement one another. Both would be effective players as well on their own. Both are different types of players as well and should be judged on their strengths and weaknesses.

Tanev>Edler defensively but Edler>Tanev offensively. Overall, it's pretty close to Edler=Tanev IMO. I'm glad we have both players signed long-term.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Edler is so emotionless I doubt "confidence issues" is actually a thing. We know from the stats in his Torts season it was bad luck more than anything. The reason people scream "confidence!" is because the bad luck coincided with a maniac screaming at him on the bench.

It's not like he's changed his game. Like, his present season, last season, and Torts season... Does it strike you as the work of a significantly different player? No. He just does his thing, like a machine, and often enough it works out.

Last edited:

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009

Tanev >> Edler.

Tanev>Edler defensively, but Edler>>Tanev offensively.

50 point d-man versus a player who hasn't even cracked 25 points. Not to mention, Edler has a physical game he can choose to bring when he feels like it.

Brock Boeser

Mar 11, 2013
I could see why Torts would be so furious with a guy like Alex. With the tools he posseses he should be able to play like he did last night every night. But the past 2 seasons he has been mostly on top of his game so I have no problem with Eagle.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
One season under Torts where he struggled (with basically the entire team seriously underperforming) and Edler's now a player that's plagued with confidence issues?

Edler and Tanev play well together and complement one another. Both would be effective players as well on their own. Both are different types of players as well and should be judged on their strengths and weaknesses.

Tanev>Edler defensively but Edler>Tanev offensively. Overall, it's pretty close to Edler=Tanev IMO. I'm glad we have both players signed long-term.

No...

We also have the 2011-12 post season against the Kings to draw upon.

And during the 2013-14 season, Tanev did NOT underperform.

I know everybody is in a lovefest with Alex Edler right now and rightfully so but without Chris Tanev, Alex would be no where near as good as he is right now.

Edler was a superstar back in 2011 because of Sami Salo and is back to being a superstar the last couple seasons because of Chris Tanev.

If I had a choice between one or the other... it would be Tanev every single time.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

50 point d-man versus a player who hasn't even cracked 25 points. Not to mention, Edler has a physical game he can choose to bring when he feels like it.

Looking only at points is a very shortsighted way of measuring a d-man.

You are seriously under-appreciating the stabilizing impact Tanev brings to our blue line.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
No...

We also have the 2011-12 post season against the Kings to draw upon.

And during the 2013-14 season, Tanev did NOT underperform.

I know everybody is in a lovefest with Alex Edler right now and rightfully so but without Chris Tanev, Alex would be no where near as good as he is right now.

Edler was a superstar back in 2011 because of Sami Salo and is back to being a superstar the last couple seasons because of Chris Tanev.

If I had a choice between one or the other... it would be Tanev every single time.

Look at WOWY stats, there's no significant drop off in Edler's game without Tanev, the team has at least had another stable LHD in Hamhuis, so when Tanev gets moved of his pairing with Edler he gets to play with a decent 2nd pairing dman, when Edler gets moved of his pairing with Tanev he has to work with a guy like Weber or Bartowski, so yes I wouldn't expect Edler to excel without Tanev (hilariously enough he has better stats without Tanev than with him, but the sample size is way to small)

Both players are close and compliment each other well, there's no gap between them at all.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam

50 point dman? maybe he'll do it this year, for the FIRST time in his career.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Tanev >> Edler.

This is ridiculous but everyobe is welcome to an opinion..

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
50 point dman? maybe he'll do it this year, for the FIRST time in his career.

His PPG was Very high among defenceman from 2008-2012. He was on his way to nearly 60 in 2011 before missing 30 games.

I have no idea why some of you don't look at track records. Tanev is better than Edler, Weise is better than Lucic....you're killin' me.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
I think we over-rate Tanev a lot on this board. He's definitely a very good defensive dman, but Edler has that extra gear to his game. It just comes out once every 5 games or so against really good teams.

When Edler chooses to be physical, opposition is a lot more weary. Edler takes a lot more risks compared to Tanev, so it's easy to say Tanev is more stable. But that also explains why Tanev might never hit 25 points in his career.

Fact is, if you want offense from the back-end, these guys need to take risks and be out of position from time to time to capitalize on these risks. Ehrhoff is a prime example back in 2010-2011. He was like a 4th forward and had partial breakaways.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
He's the perfect compliment.

But he wouldn't be the #1 on a contender.

Depends on the rest of the D. A #1 D is obviously huge, but you don't have to have one to be successful. In 2011 our #1 D was either him or Ehrhoff, but had awesome depth at D so it was fine.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Depends on the rest of the D. A #1 D is obviously huge, but you don't have to have one to be successful. In 2011 our #1 D was either him or Ehrhoff, but had awesome depth at D so it was fine.

Oh we sidetracked the conversation :laugh:

We're talking about Tanev. And Tanev was definitely not a 1D in 2011. He was the 6th

But yes, I agree Edler was our #1D in 2011 cup finals because we also had Hamhuis (for 1 game), Salo and Ehrhoff.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
The basics...

6th in goals
15th in points
10th in PP points
18th in ice time
24th in shots

Still had a few gong show games recently... but there is no arguing his production right now. GREAT to see.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
He's the perfect compliment.

But he wouldn't be the #1 on a contender.

Hey, Tanev can play on my team any day. He's really good at taking time and space from the best players on the other team, he fits really well with Edler, he blocks shots like a maniac etc.

I've never said I don't like him or he's bad, I just feel the need to reel some posters in sometimes.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site

In 2011 we didnt' have a clear #1. But Hamhuis was probably our #1 if we had to pick the best dman.

Hamhuis and Bieksa were by far our most important defensive pairing in the cup run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad