Alex Edler - Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
reminder that Edler only won the green jacket last season coz of an insanely unlucky offensive season

Nah luck doesn't exist, it's pretty obvious Edler forgot how to play hockey and we should trade him ASAP while some idiots in the league think he still has value. Maybe Detroit will take his contract if we retain some salary?

In all seriousness, I predicted a bounce back season, but I did not predict anything like this. His ability to form a top pairing shutdown unit with Tanev that ate up top players night after night has been pretty incredible to watch. His offense is down from his peak, but I'm wondering if that problem will fix itself as our PP gets better. I've been loving how he has looked with Weber but small sample sizes and all that. Been a treat to watch him so far this year, hopefully some of his hot streak will carry over into the playoffs.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The year being an anomaly that he bounced back from isn't evidence that he was unlucky. It does nothing to disprove that Edler played god-awful hockey for a year. A player can give a horrible performance even when they have the capability of giving a better one.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
The year being an anomaly that he bounced back from isn't evidence that he was unlucky. It does nothing to disprove that Edler played god-awful hockey for a year. A player can give a horrible performance even when they have the capability of giving a better one.

ok but the stats that showed him being unlucky followed by those things changing and his performance 'changing' - those things are evidence that he was unlucky

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
phenominal season for Edler, he was a top 15 d-man in the league this year and player like a #1. hoping for him to continue his good play in the playoffs this year.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
ok but the stats that showed him being unlucky followed by those things changing and his performance 'changing' - those things are evidence that he was unlucky
I was only reacting to CloutierForVezina's comment, that kind of jokingly suggests that it's either luck or he miraculously forgot how to play hockey/lost his talent. There's alot of middleground between those two extremes.

I have no doubt he was unlucky on top of playing absolutely terrible hockey.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
I was only reacting to CloutierForVezina's comment, that kind of jokingly suggests that it's either luck or he miraculously forgot how to play hockey/lost his talent. There's alot of middleground between those two extremes.

While I don't disagree Edler played like a mediocre player, I think the bad luck part played a fairly big role in him playing like crap.

The way I saw it, last season went something like this for Edler:
1. Come into the season playing hard, hitting guys
2. Get suspended for the Hertl hit
3. Come back playing confused and lacking confidence because of the questionable suspension
4. Fail to be effective offensively due to poor puck luck
5. Confidence tanks further as he fails to produce due to puck luck and the minuses pile on
6. Plays like total crap because zero confidence and the team is a mess

Also with the Mike Smith suspension somewhere in there

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
While I don't disagree Edler played like a mediocre player, I think the bad luck part played a fairly big role in him playing like crap.

The way I saw it, last season went something like this for Edler:
1. Come into the season playing hard, hitting guys
2. Get suspended for the Hertl hit
3. Come back playing confused and lacking confidence because of the questionable suspension
4. Fail to be effective offensively due to poor puck luck
5. Confidence tanks further as he fails to produce due to puck luck and the minuses pile on
6. Plays like total crap because zero confidence and the team is a mess

Also with the Mike Smith suspension somewhere in there

7. Pucks bouncing in off him from everywhere. I swear he had the worst luck imaginable. Point shots, rebounds, cross ice passes...they would all go off Edler and in.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
7. Pucks bouncing in off him from everywhere. I swear he had the worst luck imaginable. Point shots, rebounds, cross ice passes...they would all go off Edler and in.

In terms of on-ice shooting percentage, Edler literally had the worst luck of any NHL season among dmen who played 1000+ minutes last season since that stat was tracked. It's actually kind of comical looking back at it. :laugh:

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta

You are right that doing better, by itself, is not proof that the previous year was luck-based (could have been bad play the previous year, improved play the current year, bad luck the last year, good luck the current year - most likely, a combination of all 4).

However we already had evidence from looking at his numbers last year that his unusually poor year was an anomaly and at least partially due to simple bad luck. In the last few pages tc23 has done some excellent work digging through the numbers, and Edler's on-ice sh% last year was significantly below any other defenseman since they've been tracking those stats (of defensemen who played at least 1000 minutes). Yes, he played awful for long stretches last year, but he was not so bad that everyone on the ice forgot how to shoot the puck when he was on it.

And that's ignoring all the supplemental stuff that was going on that could be considered bad luck. Getting suspended because a rookie didn't have his helmet on tight, playing for a God awful coach that brought out the worst in all his players, being asked to play well over his head for long stretches of time and I'm sure there's more.

My only argument is with the people who refuse to attribute even an ounce of a player's poor performance to bad luck. It's infuriating. Of course luck plays a role! Usually it's pretty balanced over the course of the season, but it's definitely not impossible for someone to put together an unlucky or lucky campaign where the bounces either go his way or they just don't. That's not absolving him of his poor play, and he did have poor play, but he was not -39 bad last year.

Last edited:

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
I'm glad I was wrong about Edler, even if for most of the season is production fell to the wayside for the sake of being our shutdown guy alongside Tanev.

But this last month... PPG in the last month on top of all that?

Edler is a huge reason this team made the play-offs, and probably up there with the biggest reasons we made it through the stretch, rather than collapsing. Edler and Tanev were neck and neck all season, but this last month pushed Edler in favor.

Vrbata got Canucks' MVP, but I think Edler gave him a huge run for his money. Amazing season.

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009
Edler was a beast last night. Along with Tanev neutralized Monahan-Gaudreau line, delivered big hits, being able to actually hit the slippery Gaudreau is tough as it is and he absolutely plastered him. The pop-back hit on Bennett also took him out of the game. A couple of good rushes offensively as well. If we continue to see this Edler; we have our #1.

My favourite play though was the sneaky knock he delivered on Monahan after the whistle, knocked Monahan on his ass with shoulder contact when Monahan is rumored to have a shoulder injury.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
This was the Edler we saw in 2010 against the Kings that we hoped would take the next step and be a #1 guy. He will probably never make that step and be a Norris calibre guy, but he's phenomenal right now on a steal of a contract. So glad we didn't ship him out for a bag of pucks. It's probably easy to play with confidence when you have Tanev beside you, too.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Edler was a beast last night. Along with Tanev neutralized Monahan-Gaudreau line, delivered big hits, being able to actually hit the slippery Gaudreau is tough as it is and he absolutely plastered him. The pop-back hit on Bennett also took him out of the game. A couple of good rushes offensively as well. If we continue to see this Edler; we have our #1.

My favourite play though was the sneaky knock he delivered on Monahan after the whistle, knocked Monahan on his ass with shoulder contact when Monahan is rumored to have a shoulder injury.

Edler has played like a #1 all season. He doesn't have the offensive talent to make him a big name, but he and Tanev are one of the best D pairs in the league.

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
A physical Edler must be terrifying for the opposition. He's a freight train when he wants to be. An absolute game changer if he can keep it up.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I absolutely love when he has the puck, and the opposing player tries to hit him, and Edler hits back and knocks him around. Makes it look so effortless too. Hurt Bennett doing this.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Edler has played like a #1 all season. He doesn't have the offensive talent to make him a big name, but he and Tanev are one of the best D pairs in the league.

I think he has the offensive talent to make himself a big name player to be honest. The way he's been reading and jumping up on the play to close off the season and into the playoffs has really opened up the ice.

Now if only he could get his cannon past the first Dman...

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
Loved the hits he was throwing last night, hope he keeps it up. Apparently, some Flames fans think he is a goon...he must be doing his job.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
He was a beast last night. Outstanding player when he's on the top of his game - great first pass, hits, jumps into the play, neutralizes the opposition's space out on the ice and at this rate is going to make them shy away from hitting him at all. Crazy to think how badly some of the fanbase wanted him traded this offseason for pretty much nothing.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
This was the Edler we saw in 2010 against the Kings that we hoped would take the next step and be a #1 guy. He will probably never make that step and be a Norris calibre guy, but he's phenomenal right now on a steal of a contract. So glad we didn't ship him out for a bag of pucks. It's probably easy to play with confidence when you have Tanev beside you, too.

Yes, it's interesting that Edler and Tanev were given a few games together last season as well, and were great. Unfortunately for Edler, Tortorella thought otherwise.

Tanev's particular skill set allows Edler to play a much more confident game, and when he's confident he plays like a #1 defender. He's also got a chippy side that I've not really paid much attention to. He clearly targets players, and he's a very solid player on the ice. As others have pointed out, that hit back against Bennet basically took him out of the game. I'm not sure if Bennet was injured before then, but that's another player hurting for the Flames.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
He was a beast last night. Outstanding player when he's on the top of his game - great first pass, hits, jumps into the play, neutralizes the opposition's space out on the ice and at this rate is going to make them shy away from hitting him at all. Crazy to think how badly some of the fanbase wanted him traded this offseason for pretty much nothing.

That was very much people seeking what was wrong with the team and barking up the wrong tree. It was the structure at whole to blame not an individual player.

If he can stay healthy I would not be surprised to see him having another but even better say seven years with the team. Even if not a Norris winner ever I would slot him in as a true #1 and that is more than enough. Him and Tanev as a pairing for years to come might be just one of those pairings talked about long after they are split up/retired.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Yes, it's interesting that Edler and Tanev were given a few games together last season as well, and were great. Unfortunately for Edler, Tortorella thought otherwise.

Tanev's particular skill set allows Edler to play a much more confident game, and when he's confident he plays like a #1 defender. He's also got a chippy side that I've not really paid much attention to. He clearly targets players, and he's a very solid player on the ice. As others have pointed out, that hit back against Bennet basically took him out of the game. I'm not sure if Bennet was injured before then, but that's another player hurting for the Flames.

He can feel safe that Tanev is behind him and Tanev will make the right decision. It's also a huge bonus that Tanev also has pretty decent offensive instincts minus the shot because his shot is pretty pathetic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad