Alex Edler - Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
He can feel safe that Tanev is behind him and Tanev will make the right decision. It's also a huge bonus that Tanev also has pretty decent offensive instincts minus the shot because his shot is pretty pathetic.

He knows that if he makes a pass across or behind the net to the right side that Tanev will be there to receive it cleanly and make a play with it.

That totally failed him last year when he was paired with Bieksa who is notorious for leaving his position and chasing the play but is also lacking in puck-moving ability.

Just watch the 3 pairings next time when they setup a breakout. Edler and Tanev stagger themselves and constantly go back and forth with hook passes, dragging the opposing around to create passing lanes in the neutral zone. It's quite amazing when you realize it and their passes are almost always tape to tape. It's beautiful hockey.

The other 2 pairings are uglier and constantly try to chip it off the sideboards for a deflection into the zone instead of trying to create lanes. Hamhuis and Weber are okay at this and have been able to get it through.

Sbisa and Bieksa on the other hand are terrible with anything that involves passes (and when they try, they get stuck in their zone) and the only real way they have to get it out with possession cleanly is to skate it out which leaves them open to getting picked off by opposing forecheckers.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Doesn't get enough respect for the job he does. Playing against top units every night and his offense is kicking in this year.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Literally a week ago people were *****ing at him like crazy.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
Literally a week ago people were *****ing at him like crazy.

I know, hilarious. He has one bad game and he's garbage. One good game and he's one of the best d-men in hockey.

Truth is at his best, he is highly overrated and at his worst, probably underrated. He's a good/decent d-man on a good contract. He's never going to be a #1, and he drives me nuts sometimes, but the Canucks probably need to hold on to him.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
One of the few consistent Edler supporters here. Proud to be one. :)
Yes me too.
He's had more than his share of head scratcher nights but he's consistently loaded up with all the greatest responsibilities and mostly just gets it done. He's really on a roll right now.

It's funny.....such a polarizing guy. Would get us a nice return as a trade chip.....but on the other hand we could sit and draft defenseman in the 5-15 range for years and be lucky to have one turn out as good.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
He makes his fair share of brain farts but it's important to recognize that he plays very tough competition and produces good results against them.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Edler is a perfect example of why the eye test is ****.

The guy has been a darling of advanced stats for a while, but if he turns 1 puck over everyone loses their minds.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site

The guy has been a darling of advanced stats for a while, but if he turns 1 puck over everyone loses their minds.

Eye test is not off. He had a great game tonight.

He hasnt had these kinds of night for a long long time.

Go back to every single game day thread. Its surely not just 1 turnover.

Good game to boost his trade value.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I know, hilarious. He has one bad game and he's garbage. One good game and he's one of the best d-men in hockey.

Truth is at his best, he is highly overrated and at his worst, probably underrated. He's a good/decent d-man on a good contract. He's never going to be a #1, and he drives me nuts sometimes, but the Canucks probably need to hold on to him.

People have lofty, stupid ideal as to what a number one is. Edler has good corsi and point production (on pace for 48) while doing 20+ shutdown minutes a night. Serious "grass is greener" crap going on just because they witnessed a mistake.

People act like Subban or Karlson have never made turn overs. He's not better than them, but there's certainly not 30 guys in front of Edler either (watch someone throw down a list filled with big names has-beens to try and prove me wrong)

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Yes and no. Bad plays tend to stand out more than good, solid plays, and Edler's a guy who usually makes good plays without really wowing you, but then makes a couple bad ones. Just like how a ton of people complain about how often his shot is blocked on the PP and call for him to be off the first unit, but don't acknowledge he's by far the best puck carrying defenseman on the team, and a big part of the first unit getting set up in the zone in the first place.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Edler had a brutal give away in the first.

And then ends up being the hero of the game with a goal and a gorgeous assist.

There is still no doubt in my mind that WD is overall a bad coach, however, he has shown that he is good with Edler.

Torts on the other hand would have absolutely torn Edler a new ******* after his egregious first period defensive zone give away and Edler would have been pretty much invisible after that. (which is why Torts is also a crap coach)

You have to take the good with the bad with Edler and the good can be very very good.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
He's a good top pairing guy on a good contract. People like to spew their idiotic narratives by labelling him a bad player, because it's completely untrue.

hes not a player that should be analyzed based on points, he's turned into a good shutdown guy that can shutdown the games elite. He's looked a lot better on the power play recently too, which is a very good sign.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
I think everyone would love to have a Shea Weber type of #1D but with what Edler brings and is capable of when he finds that playoff gear like when we first played LAK in The playoffs when we were a powerhouse. That hit on Doughboy still sits with me.
All on a 5m cap hit for the next few years. That's easy cash to take to the bank for both the team and Edler

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Had a good game, he was actually better than Tanev which doesn't happen all that often.

He looked like the old Edler that a lot of people thought had a ton of offensive potential. He used to make those fancy o-zone passes regularly in the past (like the one on Daniel's goal).

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I think everyone would love to have a Shea Weber type of #1D but with what Edler brings and is capable of when he finds that playoff gear like when we first played LAK in The playoffs when we were a powerhouse. That hit on Doughboy still sits with me.
All on a 5m cap hit for the next few years. That's easy cash to take to the bank for both the team and Edler

I honestly think that Josi is better than Weber.

Had a good game, he was actually better than Tanev which doesn't happen all that often.

He looked like the old Edler that a lot of people thought had a ton of offensive potential. He used to make those fancy o-zone passes regularly in the past (like the one on Daniel's goal).

Edler is better than Tanev.

Until Tanev improves his offensive game he is basically just a shutdown guy.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam

this is how I see it. best game from him in a long time. that pass he made to Daniel at the side of the net was like the 2010 days. if he could play like that offensively all the time it would make his constant brain farts worth it. I'm not sold though, he'll be back to shooting into shin pads in no time.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
ya, josi is better than weber, but i dont think edler is better than tanev

A lot of guys are better than weber at this point. Weber be agin'.

Don't agree with you on the other point. Tanev's defensive game is better, but Edler is the more rounded player.

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
He actually looked fast last night. Haven't seen him move like that since before his back surgery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad