Alex Edler - Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CRDragon

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Dec 2, 2006
Vancouver
tanev is a top 30 guy in the league. that by definition makes him a 1

I disagree. If Edler is also a top 30 guy in the league, then we have two #1s? Impossible. I think Edler is a top 30 guy for sure, Tanev would be close if not between 25-30.

Anyways, all around game for a defenseman...

Edler > Tanev

We should be keeping both in the long term.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
That definition is disputed on a regular basis on the main board.

- A#1 D-man means being a top 30 D-man (parameters disputed)

- A#1 D-man means being elite (parameters disputed)

i could dispute gravity but nobody would give it reasonable consideration

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

Thats not the same thing lmao. There is NO definition of a #1 dman. Its defined differently by everyone and it usually means someone who is elite. There dosent have to be a #1 dman on every team thats not how it works.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I don't see anything wrong with that.

You think there are 90 first line players in the league? really? There must be 30 franchise players in the league as well. Theres no set number of players for anything. The number is up to people on how they define what a first line player is. It could be changing anytime. Its silly to think that Jannik Hansen is a first line player just because he plays on the first line for couple games. Then a first line player is always worth more than a second line player by default going by "definition" its playing by technicality.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
You think there are 90 first line players in the league? really? There must be 30 franchise players in the league as well. Theres no set number of players for anything. The number is up to people on how they define what a first line player is. It could be changing anytime. Its silly to think that Jannik Hansen is a first line player just because he plays on the first line for couple games. Then a first line player is always worth more than a second line player by default going by "definition" its playing by technicality.

there are, by definition, 90 first line players in the league.

franchise players is an entirely different story, don't know why you're trying to link the two. Franchise implies something entirely different. First liner literally just means one of the top 90 forwards in the league. If a bunch of first liners retire tomorrow there will still be 90 first liners, it's just that the average first liner will be worse than before.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden

You could, I might even expect you to - but the is beside the point. The point is that the definition is disputed all the time and you were wrong. Not necessarily wrong in your chosen definition but in the statement that it "is not disputable", empirical observation tells something else.

OT, I think Elder has had confidence issues, but such things are not static. The lack of quality D hurts our top pairing too. You really only have them to put forward in any given situation, many teams actually got quality options and can try to match depending on what qualities you need in the situation.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
there are, by definition, 90 first line players in the league.

franchise players is an entirely different story, don't know why you're trying to link the two. Franchise implies something entirely different. First liner literally just means one of the top 90 forwards in the league. If a bunch of first liners retire tomorrow there will still be 90 first liners, it's just that the average first liner will be worse than before.

So there cannot be under or over 90 first line players at any given time? If tanner glass plays first line for the rangers for 2 games he is considered a first line player until he gets off that line and replaced by someone else? Is this what you mean?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
So there cannot be under or over 90 first line players at any given time? If tanner glass plays first line for the rangers for 2 games he is considered a first line player until he gets off that line and replaced by someone else? Is this what you mean?

the 90 players are not necessarily distributed evenly. I'm saying that the top 90 players (enough to fill a first line on every team) are first line players.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Regardless of crazy definitions, Edler and Tanev form a genuine top pairing. I think They're up there with the best, but that's the part open to debate. Saving grace of the team, outside the twins.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Regardless of crazy definitions, Edler and Tanev form a genuine top pairing. I think They're up there with the best, but that's the part open to debate. Saving grace of the team, outside the twins.

They're an excellent pair in a vacuum - but some pairing's in this league are scary good. They're not near Josi-Weber, or Keith-Seabrook, or Markov-Subban etc.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
You're seriously underrating the impact of Edler on the team's offense. I love Tanev, he is an absolute rock, and as you said a stabilizing presence, but I'm sick of people over-rating him to the point where they are willing to trade Edler but not Tanev. I'd rather move Tanev than Edler, but both are untouchable in my books.

Without Edler and maybe Hutton, our d-corps would provide no offensive presence. Tanev has shown offensive flashes, but that's it, he's 26 in a little over a week and his offensive play hasn't shown any signs of consistent improvement, he will likely never break 30 points, and never be the consistent PP threat. His shot has not improved at all.

You can say Edler consistently gets his shots blocked but as a poster above mentioned, he is not any more likely to have his shot blocked than the average PP d-man. Not to mention he is the only D-man on our team that has a threatening shot, even if he doesn't score a single goal off of it, the threat of a big shot changes how the Penalty kill plays us, his shot forces the high PKers to respect his shot, thus giving the Sedins more room to play with. With Tanev and Hamhuis, the PKers know the likely outcome is a pass and they can play tighter on the forwards.

Ok... I understand your point about Edler being critical for our offense and I don't disagree.

My point is, the good offensive, physical Edler is a fickle creature. It takes a lot to be able to summon forth this beast and so far, WD has shown that with a little bit of patience and acceptance that Edler WILL screw up, he's able to bring out the best out of Edler.

Yeah... this is awesome and I love the good offensive, physical Edler but the downside is this Edler is CONTINGENT on having the right type of coach (what happens when WD get's canned?)

Versus Tanev.... who doesn't need anybody telling him what a good job he's doing.

Tanev is a mentally tough NHL player that also happens to be intelligent and exceptionally good in his own end.

As well, he also helps lower my blood pressure which makes him A OK in my books.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Edler is so emotionless I doubt "confidence issues" is actually a thing. We know from the stats in his Torts season it was bad luck more than anything. The reason people scream "confidence!" is because the bad luck coincided with a maniac screaming at him on the bench.

It's not like he's changed his game. Like, his present season, last season, and Torts season... Does it strike you as the work of a significantly different player? No. He just does his thing, like a machine, and often enough it works out.

Well...

You and I will have to disagree then.

Because the body language I saw from Edler in the 2013-14 season was that of a whipped dog.

No confidence whatsoever and handling the puck like a grenade because he was afraid to make a mistake.

It wasn't a coincidence that the #1 player that Canuck fans wanted to trade at that point of time was Alex Edler (Burr coming in 2nd because of his goal scoring problems).

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
edler and tanev is a rock steady pairing. playing agiainst top lines everynight. i wish he was a bit more physical and less brain fart giveaways. edler is still a number 2 dman no clear cut number 1. maybe tanev? but for his defensive work though.

Brock Boeser

Mar 11, 2013
The most disrespected Canuck we've ever had. The amount of flak he recieves sometimes is hilarious with the amount of minutes he plays against top players while over and over again making simple little plays all around the ice.

Is he a good option for our PP unit? No, but that's not on the player if the coach keeps throwing him out.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Edler is miscast as a #1 defenceman.

Seen his inconsistency and brain cramp moves for too many years. Wouldn't have a problem whatsoever seeing him traded for the right deal.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
They're an excellent pair in a vacuum - but some pairing's in this league are scary good. They're not near Josi-Weber, or Keith-Seabrook, or Markov-Subban etc.

Having those two (Edler-Tanev) as one of your top two pairings is pretty good. It's who Benning *planned* on having as one-half of the other pairing that is the "scary bad" part (eg., Weber).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I would love to see Edler traded for a younger, smarter dman.

Yeh...never thought I'd hear myself saying this, but I think dealing Edler wouldn't make all that much difference to the 'Nucks right now, particularly if they got a guy like Hamonic or some other young up-and-coming d-man back in the deal....but doesn't Edler have a full NTC and would have to waive it to go somewhere else?

Rosko Thorn

Jul 4, 2009
Sudbury, ON
I really like Edler and think he's been a good Dman for us, but I would be open to trading him if the right opportunity came along. Canucks won't be competing for a while so I'd like to see him on a contender.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Edler is miscast as a #1 defenceman.

Seen his inconsistency and brain cramp moves for too many years. Wouldn't have a problem whatsoever seeing him traded for the right deal.

Edler's "miscast" as a #1 dman because we have no better options. He's paid like a #3 and performs like a #1-4.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
The most disrespected Canuck we've ever had. The amount of flak he recieves sometimes is hilarious with the amount of minutes he plays against top players while over and over again making simple little plays all around the ice.

Is he a good option for our PP unit? No, but that's not on the player if the coach keeps throwing him out.

Even on the PP, he's a lot better than he gets credit for. He's very adept at skating it up the ice and getting set up in the zone and is a decent passing option. The problem is when he's relied on to be the trigger man as his shot selection and huge windup are big negatives. He was perfectly fine as a complementary point man to Ehrhoff.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Even on the PP, he's a lot better than he gets credit for. He's very adept at skating it up the ice and getting set up in the zone and is a decent passing option. The problem is when he's relied on to be the trigger man as his shot selection and huge windup are big negatives. He was perfectly fine as a complementary point man to Ehrhoff.

He double clutches and takes the wrister too often.

Wish he'd just take the slapshot more. He's got a good one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad