Morgan Rielly "It's stanley cup or bust. I think that’s how our group feels. Anything short of that will be a failure."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Relative to the rest of the league, the Leafs defense is middle of the pack at best, and their average age is T-3rd oldest in the league... With no one under 30 that is top pairing material.

Their prospect pool is bottom tier.

Their upcoming draft capital is 3 picks in top 4 rounds of next 2 drafts.

Deep is not a reasonable assessment of their roster nor their organizational depth. Top heavy, and at risk of losing one of their best assets for nothing, especially so if they don't win/have a deep run.

Cup or bust is a very fair assessment, no surprise Reilly feels that way, writing is on the wall.

You just repeated everything you said with no rebuttal. If this is your opinion then ok fair enough, but to say it as if it is factual is not the case.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Pretty simple, some think losing later in the playoffs is some accomplishment, but most athletes don't.
Nope. Losing early every year is very different than winning multiple playoff rounds. Winning a playoff series is an experience every athlete enjoys.
Winning playoff rounds deeper in the playoffs brings a more intense experience than losing in the first round.

The cup is the goal, but not all losing hits the same way.
Maybe you just aren't aware of some of the players in their system, not sure.
Seems you aren't aware that there are other teams in the league, each of which also have prospects :dunno:

Relative to the rest of the league, the Leafs prospects & U25 depth is near league basement.

I wouldn't have thought this was in question even among leaf fans?

Not a huge fan of the Tanev contract, OEL is fine, but he is not in the long term plans, and Muzzin got hurt, not sure why he was brought up, he was a #1/2 when he got hurt.

He was brought up because the risk in relying on one of the oldest D groups in the league is pretty obvious... Injuries can affect anyone, but frequency and duration (including career ending) go up withe age.

An average d group that is also one of the oldest further highlights why the contending window is on the downslope. Not sure why this is at all controversial. Overall, Leafs are a contender because the NHL roster top to bottom is top tier. But both their depth and long term outlook beyond this season are not.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Nope. Losing early every year is very different than winning multiple playoff rounds. Winning a playoff series is an experience every athlete enjoys.
Winning playoff rounds deeper in the playoffs brings a more intense experience than losing in the first round.

The cup is the goal, but not all losing hits the same way.

We are talking about ultimate goals, the highs and lows of a long run are obviously more extreme than a first round loss, but who cares.

Seems you aren't aware that there are other teams in the league, each of which also have prospects :dunno:

Relative to the rest of the league, the Leafs prospects & U25 depth is near league basement.

I wouldn't have thought this was in question even among leaf fans?

It's not.

He was brought up because the risk in relying on one of the oldest D groups in the league is pretty obvious... Injuries can affect anyone, but frequency and duration (including career ending) go up withe age.

An average d group that is also one of the oldest further highlights why the contending window is on the downslope. Not sure why this is at all controversial. Overall, Leafs are a contender because the NHL roster top to bottom is top tier. But both their depth and long term outlook beyond this season are not.

Edmonton got further with worse D last year and one of the worst starters in the league.

I think your player evaluation just sucks.

• Haha
Reactions: Kerberos

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Edmonton got further with worse D last year and one of the worst starters in the league.

I think your player evaluation just sucks.

Ekholm and Bouchard would be Toronto's #1 and #2 defensemen.

Let us know when you have that.

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Of course it will, but responsibly or irresponsibly ? 11M on Tavares was a waste, it's about getting the right players.
Let's recap...

You: They're not making the Cup Final this year. The window will re-open after this season is over and Tavares 11M albatross comes off the books.

Me: That will get gobbled up by Tavares' replacement/new salary + raises. Raises to Marner, Knies, McCabe, Woll...

You: Probably not, Dubas is gone

Me: Doesn't matter who the GM is, that extra money will be gobbled up.

You: Of course it will, but responsibly or irresponsibly ? 11M on Tavares was a waste, it's about getting the right players.
...........................................................................................

Again, there is no extra money to spend with a reduced Tavares salary + raises.

Responsible raises.

Now of course the GM could responsibly blow it up, but that's another subject.

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad