Speculation: Shesterkin on contract: I love the team, I love the fans so of course it will be great to stay here. But you never know what’s going to happen

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
It's the most important position in hockey and the only one really that can win and lose you games.
The whole goalies are voodoo is used by many fans as a reason to keep their cost down is crazy to me.

Sure they might have a few outlier careers but so does every athlete in sports but the top tier of goalies imo should be paid similar to what a top of pairing dman gets.
In this case particular, he's the best player on the rangers, he's their superstar who imo is the reason they win as much as they do and for that reason he deserves to be their highest paid player.

I agree it's the most important position in hockey, but to me, that's the reason to have a good tandem in net, so that if there's an injury or one isn't playing well, there's still a viable option that keeps the team competitive enough to win games. Having a $10m+ starter makes it much less likely that your team will have a decent backup, and a single injury could derail your entire season.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
The asking price if he becomes available will be interesting. How much is one of the best goaltenders in the game worth knowing what his contract demands are?

I just can't see any realistic scenario where Shesterkin would ever be on the trade market.

Even if they can't come together on a contract this season, the Rangers would have to ride it out and just hope for the best after this season. Maybe even let him test the market as a UFA and hope his demands come down if it actually comes to that.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
There is simply far too much demand and nowhere near enough spots to make it worth paying even 10M let alone 12M in most cases. Shesterkin is incredible but is he really 2.5M more than Vasilevskiy or 3.5M more than Hellebuyck? Even if you argue he's better, it's a near negligible difference.

I also sincerely doubt any team will offer him that despite his resume. So unless he can create a bidding war, I don't see him getting 12M

Vasi signed a sweetheart deal in a no tax state.

His deal if Shesterkin signed for same % would be 10.7 million for next year.

Cap is also going up rapidly now and not flat.

So yes I do think Shesterkin should get what he is worth.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Sounds like a guy already trying to let them down easy.

I wouldn’t give him $12M, but he’d get it on the market and he’s so valuable to the team I don’t see how they could afford not to give it to him.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’s been good, not spectacular, in the playoffs since, and about league average in the regular season. That isn’t worth a record breaking contract, which always end up being mistakes, even in the best case scenarios.
You are using your own conclusions and letting them get in the way of the facts that exist here.

He has over a goal saved above expected per game in his career in the playoffs. That's like the other team starting a game with -1 on the scoreboard. That's absolutely spectacular. .8 per game in the regular season usually wins you the Vezina. Anything more than 1 is absurd hockey. His playoffs in his career are virtually on par with his 2021-22 season.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad