Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
It's obvious at this point that we should have just re-signed Paul and Brown instead of trading for DeBrincat and Joseph.

Would have still gotten to pick 7th OVR and would have had another 3M or so in cap space we could have used to improve the D.

Dorion was too clever by half making those moves.

Unfortunately this is likely true. Making a splashy trade for a scoring winger needing a big contract is very risky. Brown and Paul were known quantities and fit the identity the team claimed to be trying to build.

Have to hope they can sign DBC for a fair deal after his down year. Not going to come close to recouping value of the 7th overall pick if they looked to trade him this off-season.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
We're just going to forget the Muckler years?

Assen na yo!
Well thats a very large reason why it came to an end haha. The salary cap didnt help either, Murray had nothing in the pipeline and the Redden over Chara decision likely ended the teams legit chance to compete for a cup. We havent seen a real cup contender since. 2017 cinderella run was nice but that was not build to win like the teams from 1999 to 2008.

Thats what I want this team to get back to that level and standard. I think they can but they need someone new at the top. The team friendly deals they have for so many of this teams elite players should bode well as the cap continues to rise. Stutzles deal in particular will look like the Mackinnon one that positioned that organization to win it all. I dont really understand the rush around here. Personally I think Debrincat doesnt fit and they should try and recoup some futures for him. Then use the money to fill out depth in the forward ranks potentially a goalie.

Reactions: Masked

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Unfortunately this is likely true. Making a splashy trade for a scoring winger needing a big contract is very risky. Brown and Paul were known quantities and fit the identity the team claimed to be trying to build.

Have to hope they can sign DBC for a fair deal after his down year. Not going to come close to recouping value of the 7th overall pick if they looked to trade him this off-season.

Unfortunately the Paul ship has sailed but if we trade DeBrincat I'd be more than happy to bring back Connor Brown.

Dude was fantastic for us. Great two-way player that was able to produce good numbers without needing PP time.

Reactions: DrEasy and Dionysus

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Doubt Crouse is moved as he is probably their next captain according to rumours.

Also how does adding a 30-40 point injury prone player like Crouse help us more than DBC? Formenton is a good puck hound you can move him up the lineup an then make a more lethal line with Pinto +DBC

If you want more puck possession 5v5 that has more to do with your centres and also coaching. That second line has really struggled with Pinto as their center.

Crouse - Pinto - Bath struggled more than DBC on that line
Theyre burning that team to the ground. Everyone is available for the right price. Crouse isnt injured proned either. He has had one season where he didnt play 90% of his teams games out of 7 and he still played 60%......

He is a heavy player that fits this teams style of play and identity. He is also a puck hound, is very hard to play against. He is exactly what they need. Id love to have him and Formenton frankly. He is a plus player on a way worse team and has more goales than Debrincat this year.... Will cost half.

I doubt that Crouse Pinto Bath struggles more there is someone to actually go get the puck and someone to actually keep it in on the cycle.

Debrincat is a luxury not a need he simply doesnt fit into this teams identity. They already have Giroux and Batherson as skilled righties that arent fast or physical.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Theyre burning that team to the ground. Everyone is available for the right price. Crouse isnt injured proned either. He has had one season where he didnt play 90% of his teams games out of 7 and he still played 60%......

He is a heavy player that fits this teams style of play and identity. He is also a puck hound, is very hard to play against. He is exactly what they need. Id love to have him and Formenton frankly. He is a plus player on a way worse team and has more goales than Debrincat this year.... Will cost half.

I doubt that Crouse Pinto Bath struggles more there is someone to actually go get the puck and someone to actually keep it in on the cycle.

Debrincat is a luxury not a need he simply doesnt fit into this teams identity. They already have Giroux and Batherson as skilled righties that arent fast or physical.
he isnt what we need. We need to retain talent and get a coach who can play that talent. If you think DBC is the issue with the team then you haven't been watching. We also need a 2C who can stay healthy. We already have Brady in the top 6 who provides everything Crouse does but at a much higher level. If we get Formenton back and Greig in the lineup then we have the needed 'sandpaper'

You don't sacrficed a talent like DBC for a Hyman. If you want to find a Hyman you can look around the league for a cheap asset like Dubas did with Bunting

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
he isnt what we need. We need to retain talent and get a coach who can play that talent. If you think DBC is the issue with the team then you haven't been watching. We also need a 2C who can stay healthy. We already have Brady in the top 6 who provides everything Crouse does but at a much higher level. If we get Formenton back and Greig in the lineup then we have the needed 'sandpaper'

You don't sacrficed a talent like DBC for a Hyman. If you want to find a Hyman you can look around the league for a cheap asset like Dubas did with Bunting
The audacity with some of your takes.

This team only has so much money to spend. 8+ million on your 5th or 6th best forward who doesnt bring anything but scoring isnt a good investment when you have the personel they have. I have been watching.... Maybe take your own advice. Or maybe you just dont really understand it I am not sure. But Hyman at 5.5 is a way better fit on this team than Debrincat at 8+.

Reactions: Sens9292 and OD99

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
The audacity with some of your takes.

This team only has so much money to spend. 8+ million on your 5th or 6th best forward who doesnt bring anything but scoring isnt a good investment when you have the personel they have. I have been watching.... Maybe take your own advice. Or maybe you just dont really understand it I am not sure. But Hyman at 5.5 is a way better fit on this team than Debrincat at 8+.
Why are you so upset?

Why would adding crouse and taking out DBC help us? If anything it makes us worse 5 on 5.

We have the cap space to keep DBC at 8. Spending 5 on Crouse then adding a 3rd liner for 3 does not help us. I think evaluating DBC off of one year as opposed to his body of work is a huge mistake.

This issue this year is not even cap space. The issue is that we don't have a 2nd line center and we don't have a 3rd line because our GM traded them away.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Why are you so upset?

Why would adding crouse and taking out DBC help us? If anything it makes us worse 5 on 5.

We have the cap space to keep DBC at 8. Spending 5 on Crouse then adding a 3rd liner for 3 does not help us. I think evaluating DBC off of one year as opposed to his body of work is a huge mistake.

This issue this year is not even cap space. The issue is that we don't have a 2nd line center and we don't have a 3rd line because our GM traded them away.
Because Crouse makes half and has been a way better 5 on 5 player. He fits the identity of the team. When the sens are playing their best they are a heavy team that is hard on the forcheck. Does that sound like Debrincats game to you? Now if the sens had a team that lacked goal scorers then yes Debrincat is a need. But they dont and they are all locked up on long term deals already.

Reactions: coladin and aragorn

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
2 years is when Pinto, Grieg, Kastelic, Brannstrom, Sanderson and Stutzle are in their prime. Tkachuk, Chabot, Norris, Batherson, Joseph, Chychrun and Zub will still be in their primes too. If Formenton comes back he will be in his prime. 2025-2030 is when this age group is in its cup years. I am not sure if you were a fan of this team in the 90's and 2000's but they were a contender for almost a decade and made the playoffs for 11 straight seasons. But they didnt burn picks like this group, they had a consistent pipeline and drafted really well.
I hope there’s enough $$ to sign and re-sign everybody ++ on this list
I would love to see your money distribution when Chabot is due for a raise

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If Norris & Formenton return to the team next yr that would go a long way in improving the top 9. Greig seems to be almost NHL ready & if he could make the team out of training camp next season he might really improve a 3rd line. You can basically move all these guys around in the top 9 & place them how you want, but IMO this would be a better top 9 then they have had in quite some time.

The 4th line could be the problem that may not get fixed next yr unless a certain prospect or two really improves & beats out some of the other guys they have. I'm all for upgrading on Kelly, Gambrell, Joseph, Watson, Gauthier, Brown & Brassard who I like & has done well, but he's 35 yrs old. I would like to see a 4th line in future of Ostapchuk - Kastelic - Boucher/Sokolov that would be big, fast, hard hitting, tough, some skill & hard to play against but who knows when they will be ready.

Tkachuk - Norris - DeBrincat
Formenton - Stutzle - Giroux
Greig - Pinto - Batherson
Kelly - Kastelic - Joseph/Gauthier/Gambrell

The defence seems to have a top 4 now although I don't find them to be very tough & more of a skilled skating defence. I think we are seeing what that brings & how easy they are to play against & really need a Boro type of guy on the backend that is going to put some fear into players with big hits. That guy could be Kleven at some future date, but it wouldn't hurt to also bring in a younger better more mobile version of Hamonic for that 3rd pairing RD spot. Without Klevn or Hamonic they are a soft defence.

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Chychrun
Kleven - Hamonic/JBD

Goaltending is another area of concern given all the injuries to goalies throughout the org this yr. I like Forsberg, but have no idea if this guy can carry a team, based on what we have seen from him so far the answer would be no. Sogaard looks promising, but how far he is away from being a quality NHL goalie is anyone's guess & there is no one else anytime soon. I assume that PD will try & sign another goalie over the summer rather than go with just Forsberg & Sogaard but we will see. Not sure if they re-sign Talbot at a much cheaper contract.

Forsberg - Sogaard/Merilainen

Reactions: Senovision

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
It would be nice if the little prince would acquiesce and play on his proper wing. Just to see what he could do with Tkachuk and Stutzle

• Haha
Reactions: aragorn

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I don’t see how we can even think about paying our 5th or 6th forward as much as Debrincat will command. If we have a new GM by the draft I fully expect that he gets moved.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Watching him whiff is infuriating but I also get the feeling they'd just start going in first game in another uniform.

Reactions: DrEasy

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Watching him whiff is infuriating but I also get the feeling they'd just start going in first game in another uniform.
He would get 40 goals if we trade him, you could bank on that. It would be just our luck. I would like to keep him. I think he will be better next year. 7-7.5m per year.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It’s like we’ve never seen a player have a down season before.

DBC needs to settle in, and he needs a steady playmaker to use his goal scoring. Trading him after his first season is not the answer.

The guy has scored everywhere he has played, he hasn’t all of a sudden forgotten.

Foster the young talent, don’t give up on it :)

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He’s a damn good player but he’s a winger who isn’t a line driver. We really can’t afford to spend almost 28M on 4 wingers.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He’s a damn good player but he’s a winger who isn’t a line driver. We really can’t afford to spend almost 28M on 4 wingers.
Sure we can, all of our star kids deals are going to look like steals in a few season as the cap catches up. Paying DBC around 8 isn’t a cap busting deal.

This line driving thing is a bit ridiculous, not every guy needs to carry the puck, though DBC can carry the puck into the zone as we have seen a ton on the PP, he can make plays, and he plays an engaged game, but you pay the guys who can score goals. They always get paid more than the guys who can pass the puck.

We need goal scorers and he is young and proven.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
It’s like we’ve never seen a player have a down season before.

DBC needs to settle in, and he needs a steady playmaker to use his goal scoring. Trading him after his first season is not the answer.

The guy has scored everywhere he has played, he hasn’t all of a sudden forgotten.

Foster the young talent, don’t give up on it :)

I think the concern is that if this isn't a good fit for him he might not be interested in sticking around.

He needs a new deal this offseason. Unless the Sens offer big numbers he might want a do over contract year that walks him to free agency.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Sure we can, all of our star kids deals are going to look like steals in a few season as the cap catches up. Paying DBC around 8 isn’t a cap busting deal.

This line driving thing is a bit ridiculous, not every guy needs to array the puck, and DBC can carry the puck into the zone as we have seen a ton on the PP, he can make plays, and he plays an engaged game, but you pay the guys who can score goals. They always get paid more than the guys who can pass the puck.

We need goal scorers and he is young and proven.
Your math skills are lacking.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I think the concern is that if this isn't a good fit for him he might not be interested in sticking around.

He needs a new deal this offseason. Unless the Sens offer big numbers he might want a do over contract year that walks him to free agency.
Well if he does not want to stay then trade him but thats an offseason issue

If he wants to stay absolutely you should be signing him imo

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think the big problem, is Cat is a guy who needs an elite player with him to set him up perfectly. And it's very, very difficult to do that successfully and win in a cap league.

Add in the qualifying cost (or open market cost) and he just doesn't fit.

If we're trying to build a good 3-line team that plays a heavy game, we can't afford to spend so much on him. Even with the cap going up. We need those dollars. And we also don't know 100% how Norris will be after surgery and how durable that shoulder will be from here on out. Or if Chabot will rebound (likely with a new coach). We can't spend all our cap space on a finicky scoring winger.

Cat would be better served on a run and gun team that wants to power load one line. But that also is tricky to find, as you have to wonder if teams around the league still see him as a 40+ goal top line piece.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Oh fair enough, can’t make the kid sign a long term deal.

But if buys into this group and wants to stay, I want him signed.

If not, you obviously have to trade him this summer and move on. Only players that want to be here should be here.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
If DBC can put up 40 goals with a playmaker then he is worth signing.

Line drivers make 9+

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad