Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Marino and Toews are two of the biggest steals of top 4 D we've seen in years.

They usually aren't traded and when they are in normally takes a lot more to acquire. Can't expect to acquire top 4 D for peanuts.

I was pounding the table to acquire those two guys but the Sens pro scouting staff is garbage and passed on them of course.
I remember you pushing hard for Toews. Don’t take this as a defence of Dorion but how did 29 GMs let that player get dealt foe 2 2nds.

dpw

Jul 29, 2004
Chicago knew what they were doing dumping this guy. I remember everyone laughed at them.

DeBustCat

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Going to take a bath on the trade return, and he’ll be traded at the deadline. And there’ll be lots of negativety. This is the Dorion era on repeat.

Dorion is a gong show. Half of this guys job is fixing his own mistakes at the expense of the competitiveness
of his hockey team.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Going to take a bath on the trade return, and he’ll be traded at the deadline. And there’ll be lots of negativety. This is the Dorion era on repeat.

Dorion is a gong show. Half of this guys job is fixing his own mistakes at the expense of the competitiveness
of his hockey team.
Even Dorion should be able to get back at least the same value he paid. We gave up a seventh overall in a weak draft - this is a good draft, so if we get a mid round first and a solid prospect for DeBrincat that would pretty much give us back what we paid and then some.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
20 games doesnt erase everything else he's done in his career. He's not had the kinda start we expected him to, but some of you are talking like he's a Dadonov clone.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
20 games doesnt erase everything else he's done in his career. He's not had the kinda start we expected him to, but some of you are talking like he's a Dadonov clone.
We should get a decent return whatever that is. But, his contract is different now versus this year. Next year his current contract is $9 m and for 1 year.

If the acquiring team could speak to his agent and get the details of a new contract worked out, that would be better for us perhaps.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We should get a decent return whatever that is. But, his contract is different now versus this year. Next year his current contract is $9 m and for 1 year.

If the acquiring team could speak to his agent and get the details of a new contract worked out, that would be better for us perhaps.
He's still a deluxe deadline acquisition for any team. As a result, a team that is loading up for a Cup run might be willing to overpay. You've seen some teams make some goofy overpayments at the deadline - that's the kind of team we need to target in a DeBrincat trade. That team, in turn, can then turn around and move him in a Matthew Tkachuk type trade at the draft...

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020

we probably wont get a top 10 pick like we gave up, but getting a 1st, 2nd and 3rd should be a no doubter. We didnt give up the moon to get him.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
He's still a deluxe deadline acquisition for any team. As a result, a team that is loading up for a Cup run might be willing to overpay. You've seen some teams make some goofy overpayments at the deadline - that's the kind of team we need to target in a DeBrincat trade. That team, in turn, can then turn around and move him in a Matthew Tkachuk type trade at the draft...
Ya, that's true. Another possibility is a TDL deal.

Just need a team or teams with enough cap space at the deadline. I haven't investigated that subject. Hopefully there will be a few of them but most teams are pretty tight to the cap. But, hopefully the cap space they've been accumulating will be enough to entice a team (or 2 or 3) to get interested.

The idea of the acquiring team using him for a playoff run this season and then moving him in the summer is not something I really know that much about. Not off the top of my head at least. Have there been many teams that have done this in the past?

we probably wont get a top 10 pick like we gave up, but getting a 1st, 2nd and 3rd should be a no doubter. We didnt give up the moon to get him.
Geez, I hope you are right. We've seen fewer trades at the TDL over the past years. GMs might have gotten a little smarter in this regard. Just thinking out loud. There's lots of different things that could happen. Hope for the best.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Agreed. If we're (for the most part) convinced that DJ Smith doesn't know what the hell he's doing, then I'm of the opinion we should largely stand pat with the talent we have and see if a different coach could get better production.

DeBrincat certainly isn't the only player on this team who hasn't looked as good as we were hoping, and it would be the most Ottawa Senatorsiest of moves to deal him away, just to watch him turn it on under a team that knows what they're doing.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Even Dorion should be able to get back at least the same value he paid. We gave up a seventh overall in a weak draft - this is a good draft, so if we get a mid round first and a solid prospect for DeBrincat that would pretty much give us back what we paid and then some.

He’ll do the stupid thing and make a bad trade. See what he got for Stone. See what he got for Paul (a player who’s scratched on the worst team in the NHL), Hamonic, Burrows.

Dorion at the deadline is the worst performing GM I have ever seen

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Agreed. If we're (for the most part) convinced that DJ Smith doesn't know what the hell he's doing, then I'm of the opinion we should largely stand pat with the talent we have and see if a different coach could get better production.

DeBrincat certainly isn't the only player on this team who hasn't looked as good as we were hoping, and it would be the most Ottawa Senatorsiest of moves to deal him away, just to watch him turn it on under a team that knows what they're doing.
I know what you are saying. But, there's a few questions:

1. Is scoring the biggest problem, or is it defense?

2. If its defense, how are we going to fix that? Via trade? What pieces do we have for a trade that would land us an impact defender?

3. There's a salary cap. If we somehow manage to address our defensemen issues and keep Debrincat and his $9 m Q.O., will that work with the cap?

4. Debrincat's current contract after this year is 1 year X $9 m (his Q.O.). What is the plan after the 2023-24 season? What would Debrincat's contract demands be at that point? Would it be easier to move him then, or now, if that became necessary for cap reasons?

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
He’ll do the stupid thing and make a bad trade. See what he got for Stone. See what he got for Paul (a player who’s scratched on the worst team in the NHL), Hamonic, Burrows.

Dorion at the deadline is the worst performing GM I have ever seen

Definitely.

When you think about the fact that all we have to show for trading Mark Stone, Matt Duchene and Nick Paul at the deadline is Erik Brannstrom, Mathieu Joseph and Lassi Thomson... it makes you wonder how this guy is still here as GM.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Definitely.

When you think about the fact that all we have to show for trading Mark Stone, Matt Duchene and Nick Paul at the deadline is Erik Brannstrom, Mathieu Joseph and Lassi Thomson... it makes you wonder how this guy is still here as GM.
clock-watching.gif

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Any other GM would find a way to trade ADBC++ for F Hronek
Hometown contender with cap space

Dorion will probably settle for Nathan Beaulieu though

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I'm not suggesting Pinto save DBC at all, I am saying let them both have some consistency.

They have barely played a handful of games with the same linemates and as a rookie and a new player to the team that is about the worst case possible.

Pinto in particular should be able to play with good players and get more offensive opportunities to use his shot and recapture that confidence he had early.

BTW, what's with the snide, "Because he's a pro" comment?
Not snide at all. DBC knows it, and said as much weeks ago. He knows he is shooting for shit and owns it. Instead, everyone here wants to blame the coach, Zaitsev, Brassard. This forum loves the stars, and they cannot be criticized.

I am hard on stars, and make no bones about it. I don't care about his 15 points. He got another point thanks to accumulated snow ffs. But somone here will say ' he has 15pts in 18 game or whatever.

It has been weeks of this. It has been a solid 15 games that he has been shooting horribly. He has the shots, the metrics that point that his shots are not all from the corner. he has had Grade A chances, and is not helping the team win.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
yup new coach can do wonders. Look at Caufield

People are really down playing how bad DJ has been

Also he literally plays with Brassard who shouldn't be on the roster every game let alone in a top role
Excuses.

DJ was playing him on PP1 and PP2 , like come on. Come on.

Caufield was not getting minutes or development. How many games is DBC getting 20 minutes? He is averaging 19 minutes a game. If DBC wasn't insistent on playing his offwing, he would be on the top line. And he is not going to play in front of the only guy who is playing well

Reactions: Fandlauer

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
I know what you are saying. But, there's a few questions:

1. Is scoring the biggest problem, or is it defense?

2. If its defense, how are we going to fix that? Via trade? What pieces do we have for a trade that would land us an impact defender?

3. There's a salary cap. If we somehow manage to address our defensemen issues and keep Debrincat and his $9 m Q.O., will that work with the cap?

4. Debrincat's current contract after this year is 1 year X $9 m (his Q.O.). What is the plan after the 2023-24 season? What would Debrincat's contract demands be at that point? Would it be easier to move him then, or now, if that became necessary for cap reasons?
I think those questions are worth addressing - just not at this point, and not necessarily between now and the season's end.

If a good deal for an impact defender comes along, consider it, but we're at the point now where I'm not sure I trust Dorion to tie his shoes, let alone make a good trade for a quality defender. And even then, the question remains whether this roster is truly the problem or the coaching is.

I'm not convinced that tearing down this roster for more gambles is worth it at this point in time.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I think those questions are worth addressing - just not at this point, and not necessarily between now and the season's end.

If a good deal for an impact defender comes along, consider it, but we're at the point now where I'm not sure I trust Dorion to tie his shoes, let alone make a good trade for a quality defender. And even then, the question remains whether this roster is truly the problem or the coaching is.

I'm not convinced that tearing down this roster for more gambles is worth it at this point in time.
I agree with about half of what you are saying.

The difference is that I'm saying it's not just one or the other that needs to be done. It's just not a new coach versus some player additions. Both of those things need to occur, and more. I think we have more work to be done, and I agree, I'm a NOT suggesting that this be done between now and the end of the year. In-season trades are sparse and hard to pull off.

Coach, GM, systems and players are needed. I don't think being 2nd last is just a coincidence or a temporary misfortune. Unless we have the tacticians that can produce a good strategy, we are always just going to have superficial and half measure results. JMHO.

Reactions: Neil Patrick Harris

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
I’ve not been impressed by Debrincat, I really hope he doesn’t get signed long term here. I hope that they try and recoup as much as they can on a trade before other teams clue in that he’s not that great and definitely not worth $8-9M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad