Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Might be a blessing in disguise that he’s scoring less goals than usual. If you can lock him up on any type of discount compared to the 9M+ we were expecting that is great news

At the same time, paying a 1LW $8-11 million is building a championship team on hard mode. LW is just about the most plentiful position out there....feels like it should be the last position to invest a ton of money into.

I really do like Cat, but he comes at one hell of a cost. Even the 'discount' figure is up there.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
DJ has misused Cat this year so far with his messy line combos.

Cat - Timmy - Giroux

Why? Because when Norris returns or next year he needs to be with Bath and Brady!

Timmy is a playmaker and goal scorer and Giroux can distribute and score also. This needs to happen so they can get used to each other. We all know it takes DJ 20-40 games to figure out line combos. If he does not do this he is going to lose more games.

In mean time we can Run Bath, Brady and Brassard ( BBB line) and slide MJ in once and while like we did with him last season.

We should be scoring a ton more goals!

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
DJ has misused Cat this year so far with his messy line combos.

Cat - Timmy - Giroux

Why? Because when Norris returns or next year he needs to be with Bath and Brady!

Timmy is a playmaker and goal scorer and Giroux can distribute and score also. This needs to happen so they can get used to each other. We all know it takes DJ 20-40 games to figure out line combos. If he does not do this he is going to lose more games.

In mean time we can Run Bath, Brady and Brassard ( BBB line) and slide MJ in once and while like we did with him last season.

We should be scoring a ton more goals!

I strongly disagree.

Stu plays with Brady now, and was before Norris went down. Norris was starting to look good with Cat as well.

The only switch was G for Bath, which makes sense because Bath is not very good right now. Norris between Bath and Cat should be an excellent second line when he returns.

Also, in my opinion Brady has been our best forward and shouldn’t be playing with Brass and Bath.

Reactions: NB613

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
I strongly disagree.

Stu plays with Brady now, and was before Norris went down. Norris was starting to look good with Cat as well.

The only switch was G for Bath, which makes sense because Bath is not very good right now. Norris between Bath and Cat should be an excellent second line when he returns.

Also, in my opinion Brady has been our best forward and shouldn’t be playing with Brass and Bath.
Problem with that is we have become a one line team once again.

Why wait? Brady and Bath were great last year and even MJ looked solid with them.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
I know we’re coming off back to back wins but I’d be looking at making a lineup change to get debrincat going. Tkachuk and Timmy are the guys I don’t want to split up so why not add cat to their right wing?

Tkachuk - Stützle - DeBrincat
Giroux - Brassard - Batherson

King Karl

five-year run of unparalleled suffering
Mar 18, 2014
Halifax, NS

Why wait? Brady and Bath were great last year and even MJ looked solid with them.
Wasn't the line Brady-Norris-MJ? Agree they did look solid though. At the start of the season I'd wondered if we should try and run 3 deep lines, something along the lines of:
Tkachuk-Norris-Joseph
Formenton-Stutzle-Batherson (Obviously this one wouldn't work now)
DeBrincat-Pinto-Giroux

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Not really. There is enough talent between Cat and Bath, along with either Brass or Pinto, to get going on their own without taking apart the one line that is awesome. We still need goals and wins after all, and with our team it often comes down to one goal.

To each their own for sure, but with the talent we have up front I’m not into diluting it to get other guys going. Gotta find that from inside for guys like Cat and Bath.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Don't remember with who I was discussing DeBrincat's defensive game (there was a few posters), just found this :

FjZ7TEyXwAMAJym

I believe he could do better on a more structured team but I sure hope we won't throw him 9.0 AAV until he's 33 y/o

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
He really doesn't carry the puck much eh? Can anyone comment on if he played a similar chip and chase game in Chicago or in junior? He doesn't seem to find much quiet ice in the ozone 🤷‍♂️

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Game on his stick. He is still killing this team. Telegraphing passes like a rookie, weak shooting, and he is another guy who was able to play in Chicago, a team that wasn't expected to do much, and thrive.

He can join the list of players playing with pressure and still not adjusting to expectations. He and Batherson should be making Shane Pinto a Calder contender. Instead, they are killing Shane PInto

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I don't see an $8M+ per year player.

And with the numbers he's putting up, I don't expect DBC to be in any rush to extend here.

The good news is, when the new GM comes in, the sunk cost argument for keeping him won't be there. I think it's almost a certainty he's moved at the draft (or potentially the deadline if new ownership/management is in place by then).

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I don't see an $8M+ per year player.

And with the numbers he's putting up, I don't expect DBC to be in any rush to extend here.

The good news is, when the new GM comes in, the sunk cost argument for keeping him won't be there. I think it's almost a certainty he's moved at the draft (or potentially the deadline if new ownership/management is in place by then).

The thing is if he had 6 more goals on all his chances (ie extremely possible considering the bad luck we've seen with our own eyes and his shooting percentage) in this tiny sample size of his here on a new team - he absolutely would be looking an $8M+ player. One hot streak and he's right where he needs to be.

The guy hussles all over. I have non Sens friends that always comment om him postively when they watch him with me. He's not invisible at all. He is in fact a play driver - and not a one dimensional sniper. That's a good thing.

And I would absolutely trade Batherson first in a deal/relief for a dman over Debrincat. Not even remotely close imo.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Please explain. You mean the choice is out of the team's control (the players will choose) and therefroe the team is not choosing and will take what is left over? Or we're losing both? Or we're signing both?
I mean the choice is not either or. The teams intent is to sign both

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
The thing is if he had 6 more goals on all his chances (ie extremely possible considering the bad luck we've seen with our own eyes and his shooting percentage) in this tiny sample size of his here on a new team - he absolutely would be looking an $8M+ player. One hot streak and he's right where he needs to be.

The guy hussles all over. I have non Sens friends that always comment om him postively when they watch him with me. He's not invisible at all. He is in fact a play driver - and not a one dimensional sniper. That's a good thing.

And I would absolutely trade Batherson first in a deal/relief for a dman over Debrincat. Not even remotely close imo.

Thank god. For I while I was starting to feel like the only one.

Reactions: Butchy Dakkar

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Right now I don't pay him a penny over $7.5 million. He just doesn't score enough goals to warrant it and we literally can't take a risk like that when we need to make hard decisions about cap allocation. I don't care if his qualifying offer is $9 million, trade his ass if he think's he's worth that based off current produciton

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Right now I don't pay him a penny over $7.5 million. He just doesn't score enough goals to warrant it and we literally can't take a risk like that when we need to make hard decisions about cap allocation. I don't care if his qualifying offer is $9 million, trade his ass if he think's he's worth that based off current produciton
No offense I just wonder if people that think like this have never paid attention to elite goal scorers and their streaks before....

Most elite snipers have highs and lows over the course of every season. And we have seen only the 1/4 of one season of his so far - his first year on a new team in a new city and with new linemates.

And yet hilariously enough he's still a very noticeable player that's consistently generating offense and working hard all over the ice. He's not invisible and he's getting a comical amount of chances that aren't converting.

He plays the most TOI of any forward on lots of nights and I'm totally okay with that. I like his game a lot. It's his all around game and energy level out there that is convincing me he actually is worth a contract that starts with an 8 in front.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Wide open net and hits the post tonight.

His wrist shot is less threatening than I thought in close, isn’t very deceptive.

He’s better than his goal totals indicate but I’d like to see what he does when Norris comes back

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad