Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Such is the paradox of the Ottawa Senators

Can't score despite being 9th in goals per game after last night's game

PP sucks despite being 9th in PP%

14th in goal differential, yet 29th in pts%, only team with a positive goal differential that isn't in a playoff spot
Ya, I thinks it's more of getting timely goals when they are needed versus just goal production.

I see a lot of sloppy play and breakdowns that needs to get cleaned up as well. We make it harder on ourselves to win when we do this. So, we have to produce more goals but/yet end up with a losing games scenario.

Reactions: coladin

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Such is the paradox of the Ottawa Senators

Can't score despite being 9th in goals per game after last night's game

PP sucks despite being 9th in PP%

14th in goal differential, yet 29th in pts%, only team with a positive goal differential that isn't in a playoff spot
Lowish number of games are we riding a few games where we excelled in those stats combined with a larger number of close game losses.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Lowish number of games are we riding a few games where we excelled in those stats combined with a larger number of close game losses.
I don't think so.

We've scored less than three goals in 5 games, while we've scored 4 or more in 8, three goals a game is pretty much the mid point for the league. So more often than not we are scoring above average.

Our PP has scored on 20% or more in 10 of the 16 games and 25% or higher in 8, and held off the scoresheet entirely in 5 games, for reference, Boston's pp has also been blanked 5 games, same with EDM, Van, Dal 7 times, all strong teams in the pp, so again, more often than not the PP is scoring goals.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Hayzey Bee on TSN Overdrive said DeBrincat would score 28 goals before the season started. I thought it was low I thought Dcat would score 40.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Whatever caused Debrincat to only get 45 points in 2019-20 is happening to him again this year.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Whatever caused Debrincat to only get 45 points in 2019-20 is happening to him again this year.
He's pacing for ~65pts while shooting at half of his career average. His shooting percentage was similarly low in 2019-2020, but he's already seen a significant improvement in shooting percentage in the last 5-10 games and is posting assists at a higher rate than he ever has over a full season.

I am guessing the goals and assists even out a bit, and he ends the year with 27-33 goals and 35-40 assists.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He's pacing for ~65pts while shooting at half of his career average. His shooting percentage was similarly low in 2019-2020, but he's already seen a significant improvement in shooting percentage in the last 5-10 games and is posting assists at a higher rate than he ever has over a full season.

I am guessing the goals and assists even out a bit, and he ends the year with 27-33 goals and 35-40 assists.
It’s seen an increase because he’s been shooting a ton less.

2 goals on 39 shots his first 8 games. 20 goal pace. Unsustainable number of shots, and low on goals. He’s never going to score an average 12% on 5+ shots a game.

3 goals on 25 shots in his last 10 games, 24 goal pace. Sustainable, should see a few more goals.

He’s probably going to settle in as a ~30 goal guy in Ottawa.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
It’s seen an increase because he’s been shooting a ton less.

2 goals on 39 shots his first 8 games. 20 goal pace. Unsustainable number of shots, and low on goals. He’s never going to score an average 12% on 5+ shots a game.

3 goals on 25 shots in his last 10 games, 24 goal pace. Sustainable, should see a few more goals.

He’s probably going to settle in as a ~30 goal guy in Ottawa.
If he makes it past TDL

Pretty crazy with how horrible this season has been he hasn’t played 1 full game with Stützle
Yup

If your job depends on it try everything

I mean its not like it would be much worst if it didn't work out

Nova Stutzlia

Oct 23, 2021
For those who are thinking he misses Kane, it looks like Kane is missing him as well.
Both have 14 points in 18 games.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Maddening to watch, honestly. Pop gun shot. Predictable. Never seen so many telegraphed passes by a 40 goal scorer. He gets passes picked off regularly which shows a major blind spot in his game. The VGK game he cost the Senators a win with missing Grade A's and a horrific gaffe on the 5th goal. SJ game? Major blind spot with an inexcusable pass that lead to SJ taking the lead.

He plays like someone who is not used to winning, so he fits right in

RealSpartan

Nov 2, 2016
My gut tells me that letting him go would be a mistake. Needs more time to settle in and find his mates and rhythm under a better staff, which is surely coming after the sale. I’m well aware of the complications and trade offs of keeping him though. Damned if we do and damned if we don’t…it’s the way of Sens.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

This is absolutely gross and I don't care how many, "expected goals" Brassard's metrics say, he cannot keep up with the Cat and Giroux.

DJ is caught up in his own wash cycle and needs to just stick to some lines for a while. He isn't doing Pinto or Cat any favours constantly changing their linemates. Let them play together and gel a bit for F sake.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
This is absolutely gross and I don't care how many, "expected goals" Brassard's metrics say, he cannot keep up with the Cat and Giroux.

DJ is caught up in his own wash cycle and needs to just stick to some lines for a while. He isn't doing Pinto or Cat any favours constantly changing their linemates. Let them play together and gel a bit for F sake.
Brass should probably have 8 or 9 pointsin a relief situation if DBC could score ashe is supposed to. And Pinto is really struggling with his 200ft game. The guy is a rookie and will not save DBC. DBC has had so many opporuntities in spite of his linemates, that the responsibility as a professional is his, and no one else's.

He said as much 2 weeks ago, and he is spot on . Because he is a pro

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Brass should probably have 8 or 9 pointsin a relief situation if DBC could score ashe is supposed to. And Pinto is really struggling with his 200ft game. The guy is a rookie and will not save DBC. DBC has had so many opporuntities in spite of his linemates, that the responsibility as a professional is his, and no one else's.

He said as much 2 weeks ago, and he is spot on . Because he is a pro
I'm not suggesting Pinto save DBC at all, I am saying let them both have some consistency.

They have barely played a handful of games with the same linemates and as a rookie and a new player to the team that is about the worst case possible.

Pinto in particular should be able to play with good players and get more offensive opportunities to use his shot and recapture that confidence he had early.

BTW, what's with the snide, "Because he's a pro" comment?

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
So he only scores when Patty sets him up for open nets. After seeing all his goals last year, I tried not to compare it to Dadanov playing with Huberdeau, turns out its the exact same thing, he just throws pucks on net blindly and hopes for the best, can't beat a goalie. Basically an upgraded Cory Conacher without any grit. Extremely frustrating,

Reactions: Fandlauer

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
's somewhat unfortunate that Seattle doesn't suck, because Adam Larsson would have been the perfect target. There are a few other options but none of them include DeBrincat on the Sens next year IMO.

xVolchenkov

Jun 21, 2011
Ottawa
He’s 18 games in, stuck having to play under DJ Smith while Brassard is his C. Maybe the plan is to have DJ bring down his value so we can sign him for cheaper? Either way I’m not concerned about him as a player. Sens fans who are ready to write him off don’t understand how good he will be once he settles in (and doesn’t have DB as his C).

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
The sens center situation is really bad

Pinto is no where near as good as most people were expecting here. He still needs to time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad