Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If you watch hockey from the 70s, the only thing it has in common with today's game is there are 5 guys and a goalie on each side.
Two things always stand out to me - the lack of defensive structure, and the goaltending. (To be fair to the goalies, their gear simply didn't lend itself to the aggressive butterfly style you see today.) Teams were content to just trade odd man rushes all night, and guys routinely scored on shots from the top of the circle with the goalie unscreened. Back then, that was just a great goal off the rush by Mahovlich, and later Bossy. Today, that's a bad goal that the goaltender should have stopped.

This evolution happens in other sports also - the rules in football are now such that good QBs have 70% completion percentages as opposed to a generation ago when 60% was considered great. Also, hits that got you on the highlight reel in the 80s and 90s get you fined and possibly suspended today. Watch NFL "big hit" compilations on YouTube and virtually every one gets a guy penalized and fined if done now...

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
lol "not ready to commit here, yet"
447.png

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
He’s gotta give us all some time to get flaccid again before announcing his deal.

“The spirit is willing, but the flesh is meager and weak”

- Zap Brannigan

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Something about this last few sentences worries me that he might not think he signs here long term. I think he will demand top dollar.

He shared that he was initially worried about coming here - good thing for us is he’s approaching his contact year and with the trend these guys are extending one year out (Matthew etc ) he should be highly motivated to rip this year.

Playing with this Ottawa team is probably more appealing financially than one year of Chicago considering where they are in their rebuild.

Reactions: Boud and SensFactor

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Good thing is he should have a good year regardless of what happens and if that's how it turns out he'll be a great asset to hold. If he doesn't sign then you have a young elite player to trade and can recoup a major asset for him.

He brings up a good point though with the fact that there are more scorers on this team than there were in Chicago. There he was the go to guy, playing top line with one of the best players in the league and 1st PP. Here, there will be a lot more options with guys like Norris, Batherson, Giroux, Stutzle on the PP that can shoot the puck. That might impact how many goals he scores but he should put up points regardless.

Also he likely gets better matchups this year so it'll be interesting to monitor. Teams will have a hard time with matchups, you have the 3rd line which is fast and reliable defensively and then two legit top lines.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Honestly, DeBrincat going off for 40 goals with us for us to flip him may be a blessing.

Giroux signing here may be an indicator that we can be a pretty attractive landing spot for guys going for one last push.

Guys like Zucker, Tarasenko, Tatar could all come here on a team that has some major pieces in, they're not likely looking for raises (I see them costing 6.5M, 4M and 3.5M, respectively) and still being good enough for our top 9 whilst netting 70pts, 50pts, and 40pts, respectively. They're only garner 2-3 year commitments, and won't eat up all the cap space we need for D like Zub + mystery top 4 RHD, or Sanderson's extension.

Those are the 2023 UFA guys I'd target in that 30-32 year old ballpark that we can sign at 2-3 years without needing >6M AAV. Possible replacement parts for DeBrincat + the haul we get for him (hopefully something more like Tkachuk's return than Stones...).

The 2024 crop? Voracek, Mantha, Silfverberg, Lindholm, Toffoli, Arvidsson, and Wennberg, all tracking to still be 40-60 pt players that will be had on 2-3 year contracts in that 4-6M range sweet spot again to replace Giroux.

Although guys like Mantha/Lindholm who are still young 29-30 may push for the Kadri contract, I can't see that many teams with cap space remaining the way things are going.

Reactions: Girutzlechuk

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I am not worried at all. I think worst case he signs a 2/3 year extension in the off-season on the 10 million range in hopes of hitting free agency as a 28 year old superstar.

The rivalry he will have with Matthews over the next year or two will be phenomenal. It should serve to broaden his name recognition and increase his value immensely.

Reactions: bicboi64

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I’m counting on Brady and Josh convincing him that Ottawa is a good team to play for and that extending wouldn’t be the end of the world for him.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
lol "not ready to commit here, yet"
Well, that is logical thing to say if you want to maintain a strong bargaining position. Can't blame him for that, especially at this (early) point in time. I'll guess that his agent has briefed him on what to say when certain questions come up i.e., new contract.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Posted this in another thread but makes more sense here :
In my mind the Senators have 2 options with Debrincat:

1. Trade him next summer ala Tkachuk.

2. Walk him straight to free agency and let him leave for free with a 1 year contract ala Stone

I would do the latter.

The price senators paid to acquire him makes 2 years just fine. I think debrincat would take a "discount" to get to FA asap.

1X8. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Reactions: bicboi64

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Honestly, DeBrincat going off for 40 goals with us for us to flip him may be a blessing.

Giroux signing here may be an indicator that we can be a pretty attractive landing spot for guys going for one last push.

Guys like Zucker, Tarasenko, Tatar could all come here on a team that has some major pieces in, they're not likely looking for raises (I see them costing 6.5M, 4M and 3.5M, respectively) and still being good enough for our top 9 whilst netting 70pts, 50pts, and 40pts, respectively. They're only garner 2-3 year commitments, and won't eat up all the cap space we need for D like Zub + mystery top 4 RHD, or Sanderson's extension.

Those are the 2023 UFA guys I'd target in that 30-32 year old ballpark that we can sign at 2-3 years without needing >6M AAV. Possible replacement parts for DeBrincat + the haul we get for him (hopefully something more like Tkachuk's return than Stones...).

The 2024 crop? Voracek, Mantha, Silfverberg, Lindholm, Toffoli, Arvidsson, and Wennberg, all tracking to still be 40-60 pt players that will be had on 2-3 year contracts in that 4-6M range sweet spot again to replace Giroux.

Although guys like Mantha/Lindholm who are still young 29-30 may push for the Kadri contract, I can't see that many teams with cap space remaining the way things are going.
Voracek-Stu-Clode line:eek3:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Hoping he'll "buy in" for like $8.5 million, but lets see if he can put up 40g with Stu
Generally, I prefer longer/max term contracts as well.

But, IF Debrincat's contract is $8.5 m starting in 2023-24, we'll have $14.1 of projected cap space to work with another 9 or 10 players to sign (for a 21 or 22 player roster). Two of players to sign would be Zub and a goalie (Talbot or his replacement). Just thinking out loud, looking at the numbers, and wondering.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The fact that Dorion didn't even speak to DeBrincat's camp about interest in an extension before the trade is pretty telling. Obvious that he wouldn't have interest in extending immediately.

Maybe that changes after a full season with the group and getting to know the city, but even if he doesn't want to re-sign it was a good gamble to make and we'll probably be able to get similar value back next off-season.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
pretty understandable that a guy wants to see how things play out on a new team. He also mentioned a lot of goal scorers which means he probably wants to see if he is a top PP guy etc (he should be on the top unit he is out best offensive winger)

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Nothing wrong if the CAT doesn't want to extend here and we trade him for picks/prospects that will continue to carry this team in Jimmy's 4-8 years of his contract.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I caught that too. My perspective is, that we trade him at the deadline if he continues to act likes this.
Exactly. I'd rather spend the money on re-signing Zub (4M+ a year), getting Pinto a decent contract (maybe 3M a year) and finding another Top 4RD. Saying that, DeBrincat is a unicorn and if he gets another 40+ goals again this year, I think we have to find a way to keep him.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Have never really watched this guy play but his stats are impressive. Might this guy be our best forward?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad