Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
I think you're looking a bit too deeply into the "American" angle. He's from Michigan suburbia, which is not very different from Ottawa. There's also quite a few other Americans on the team, including another Michigan teammate who just signed for 8 years (Norris).

As well, both DeBrincat and Norris are Canadian citizens, just like Tkachuk and Sanderson.

Assen na yo!

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
At the time of the deal I was skeptical he would sign here long term. However after listening to this interview(s) on Spitting Chicklets and Wally and Methot, I think there is a real chance he signs an extension. Assuming they pay him what he is worth; he wont be giving a discount nor should he. He loves hockey and wants to win that was apparent so if the sens have success he likely sees a core around his age locked up long term. He is used to the cold he grew up in Michigan. He doesnt drink so nightlife likely isn't very important. They have a young child and sounds like they plan for more he seems to be a family man. Ottawa is a great place to raise a family and his mom is from Toronto so he has some Canadian blood in him.
When was the chiclets one, I haven’t heard that one. I looked back couldn’t find any after he was traded.
I listen to them and don’t recall it unless a year or 2 ago and forgot.

Last edited:

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation
At the time of the deal I was skeptical he would sign here long term. However after listening to this interview(s) on Spitting Chicklets and Wally and Methot, I think there is a real chance he signs an extension. Assuming they pay him what he is worth; he wont be giving a discount nor should he. He loves hockey and wants to win that was apparent so if the sens have success he likely sees a core around his age locked up long term. He is used to the cold he grew up in Michigan. He doesnt drink so nightlife likely isn't very important. They have a young child and sounds like they plan for more he seems to be a family man. Ottawa is a great place to raise a family and his mom is from Toronto so he has some Canadian blood in him.
Which episode of Spitting Chicklets was he on recently?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
As well, both DeBrincat and Norris are Canadian citizens, just like Tkachuk and Sanderson.

Assen na yo!
Neat. I didn't realize that

Man this is going to be an interesting year

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I wonder what his ask will be if he scores 40+ this year.
If team makes playoffs and things are looking like they'll only get better (we unload Zaitsev, JBD/Thomson/Brannstrom/Sanderson break out) he may feel more inclined to take a minor 10% pay cut to stay on a team promising to contend for the next 3-4 years.

If we flop he may prefer to sign and trade for a legitimate playoff team.

If Stutzle takes a big chonking contract, he may just be the odd man out because as stated above, a 40G scorer with team control is still worth a decent return a la Tkachuk once signed

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
When was the chiclets one, I haven’t heard that one. I looked back couldn’t find any after he was traded.
I listen to them and don’t recall it unless a year or 2 ago and forgot.
It's a few years old. He's a pretty boring guy haha. One of the worst interviews they've done honestly. But for Ottawa boring is good.

Psycroptic86

Oct 5, 2019
Well he won’t have Patrick Kane on his line.

Hopefully Stutzle and/or Giroux or Norris can create chemistry with him.
I'm fairly confident that Stutzle can bring some of that Kane magic on a line with Debrincat. I don't expect 40 goals, but 30 should be no problem with a stacked top-6.

Reactions: NB613 and NyQuil

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Well he won’t have Patrick Kane on his line.

Hopefully Stutzle and/or Giroux or Norris can create chemistry with him.
I think stutzle and giroux is an easy improvement in quality of linemates over Kane and strome.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
A "down" year of 30G may make resigning him under 9M more possible so may not be the worst that he needs to build some chemistry

Reactions: Psycroptic86

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
At the end of the day, re-signing DeBrincat is going to be about his personal fit with the team.

How does he feel about living in Canada? In Ottawa? His mother being from TO is probably a tick in our corner. How does his wife like the city?

Does he gel? Like the room and his fit in the room?

All those questions need to be positive before we get to money and term. But I think if they are positive we can find a way

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think stutzle and giroux is an easy improvement in quality of linemates over Kane and strome.
Idk, Kane scored about 30 more pts than Giroux and Strome produced at a similar rate to Stu. I mean, Kane is pretty clearly the best player of the bunch as of today, whether the difference between Strome and Giroux/Stu can make up the gap is certainly debatable. If Stü comes out like he finished we're in the same ball park, if he continues to improve we can probably look at it being an upgrade, but we've yet to see a full season of Stü being an elite center.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
DeBrincat has scored everywhere he has played. Yes Kane is an elite linemate and would have made his life easier but I am not worried about a big drop off from him at all.

If anything, being more insulated by having a deeper team overall could elevate his numbers.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
ya this isnt a Cheechoo situation

Debrincat has shown a lot throughout his hockey days

• Haha
Reactions: NB613

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Idk, Kane scored about 30 more pts than Giroux and Strome produced at a similar rate to Stu. I mean, Kane is pretty clearly the best player of the bunch as of today, whether the difference between Strome and Giroux/Stu can make up the gap is certainly debatable. If Stü comes out like he finished we're in the same ball park, if he continues to improve we can probably look at it being an upgrade, but we've yet to see a full season of Stü being an elite center.
I expect Stutzle to get more points than Kane this year. I'd take 22 year old Stu over 35 year old Kane.

I'd say Kane is best player as of yesterday but no longer going forward.

Regardless he doesn't need to beat Kane outright as giroux is an improvement over Strome in my mind.

I'll add the caveat that if Kane gets an early trade to a contender he may be able to hold off Stu for one more year.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
DeBrincat can actually skate, he will be fine
To be fair, Cheechoo was a pretty good player before the injuries hit, he scored 28 goals in his second year before Thornton even played for the sharks. A Cheechoo situation would be suffering a double sports hernia the year after breaking out.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad