Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I expect Stutzle to get more points than Kane this year. I'd take 22 year old Stu over 35 year old Kane.

I'd say Kane is best player as of yesterday but no longer going forward.

Regardless he doesn't need to beat Kane outright as giroux is an improvement over Strome in my mind.

I'll add the caveat that if Kane gets an early trade to a contender he may be able to hold off Stu for one more year.
I mean, maybe he outscores him, Chicago is trading away their good players. But Kane today is still an absolutely elite player. Him playing for a bad Chicago team doesn't make him a worse linemate for DeBrincat, which is the overall point, it's tough to say DeBrincat clearly upgraded his linemates when Kane outscored every player on the sens by a wide margin, DeBrincat included.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
I mean, maybe he outscores him, Chicago is trading away their good players. But Kane today is still an absolutely elite player. Him playing for a bad Chicago team doesn't make him a worse linemate for DeBrincat, which is the overall point, it's tough to say DeBrincat clearly upgraded his linemates when Kane outscored every player on the sens by a wide margin, DeBrincat included.
Again I'm speaking to future not past. I'm firmly of belief that Debrincat has better line mates today.

I may be wrong but we'll see.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Kane has been elite for a while. But let's not forget that he'll be 34 for most of this year. He will start to decline sometime in the next few years.

Combine that with the fact that Stü was elite for the last two months of the year last year and I don't think it's completely impossible that Stü is the better player this year. I wouldn't bet on it, but it's certainly possible. If he plays with Stü and G I think Cat has more support than he had last year.

Gonna be an interesting year no matter what.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

Those who haven't watched Hawks games past... well at all.

Should be noted; last two seasons, Hawks best player, by far
was Alex DeBrincat, not Patrick Kane, outscored or not.

Patrick Kane hugely benefited from Alex DeBrincat
and not the other way around, yes, Alex did benefit
from playing with Kane, duh, but more did Kane
with the cat.

I expect Kane's stats drop significantly (if/when he stays in Chicago.)

And yes, now at Ottawa, he clearly upgrades his linemates
he will be able to fully play with his absolute best level.

Nothing away from Strome and Kane, which whom he
had crazy chemistry and both are very good hockey players,
It will be hard to beat that chemistry.

That said...

Brinksy is a type of player who finds chemistry whom
ever he plays with, he is also a player who makes players
around him play better hockey.

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613 and Korpse

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I think your crazy if you suggest that AD is going to struggle to score or make an impact on this team. The identical comments were made about him in junior after McDavid and Strome left - and he had even better production away from them due to the experience he got with them, and his natural progression of maturity as a player.

Hes not a product of anyone but himself, and a very elite offensive player in his own right.

I could see his goal totals come down in Ottawa - but the assist totals will likely get bumped up on the other hand. And it will be less about playing away from Kane than it will be about him evolving as a star player. He can command the puck more and be more of a distributor, or at least more than a just a pure goal scorer. Even if his overall totals come down because its not the "Kane and the kid" two-man show over in Chicago anymore - he plays the game the right way. He competes very hard. And

There are seriously not many other young elite wingers in the game that I would be less worried about coming to this team, with our coach and management group, than I am about DeBrincat.

Try and name for me more than 5 other wingers at his age or younger that are more proven, worry free, and fit better than DeBrincat does on the Ottawa Senators. All things considered.

It just cannot be stressed enough how lucky we were to get what should have been a known "untouchable" asset for all of the other teams. Hes just way too problem free of a star to be traded at this stage of his career. Not for the price that we paid for him anyways.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Kane is quietly one of the best wingers to ever play the game. Very few wingers in history can match his skill, play driving and playoff elevation. I think he is a top 5 winger all time and what he can still do at his age is incredible.

Having said that Debrincat can stand on his own as a player. I’m not worried about his production once he settles in.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Kane is quietly one of the best wingers to ever play the game. Very few wingers in history can match his skill, play driving and playoff elevation. I think he is a top 5 winger all time and what he can still do at his age is incredible.

Having said that Debrincat can stand on his own as a player. I’m not worried about his production once he settles in.
Never said otherwise, I'm just challenging the claim that DeBrincat got a clear improvement in linemates.

Reactions: Sensators

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Never said otherwise, I'm just challenging the claim that DeBrincat got a clear improvement in linemates.
Yeah, the only way you're improving on Kane is going to Edmonton and playing with McDavid. They said, Stützle is a clear upgrade on the C since it was Strome, and Giroux is no slouch and same age as Kane.

Doesn't really matter at the end of the day; chemistry is everything. They'll do great things together simply because of the crazy skill between the 3 of them, but it might not work overall.

Holy shit though, I'm still flabbergasted that Ottawa got this guy AND Claude Giroux. Like wtf?
2 of the top available players on the market coming here in one off season. Getting one of them would have been great and made everyone in Ottawa happy for 5 years without doing it again because we all know it never happens.

Reactions: OD99

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
His cap hit is 6.4 mil all we need to do is add another 2-2.6 mil and that's it.
Your focus is on Debrincat only, whereas I was talking about Debrincat at let's say at $9 m and how that would fit with all of the other things that need to and will happen regarding 2023-24. Those other things include a new contract for Zub, Stutzle, Pinto, etc. That's what I meant about seeing or posting a full roster with AAVs. Devil is in the details as they say.

Reactions: NHL Dude 120

ijif

Dec 20, 2018

Which one of Howe, Jagr, Lafleur, Ovechkin, or Hull is Kane better than?

Reactions: DDT

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Which one of Howe, Jagr, Lafleur, Ovechkin, or Hull is Kane better than?
I’ll leave Howe and Hull (assuming Bobby) out since it’s so long ago.

I’d rank them

Jagr
Kane
Ovechkin
Lafleur

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If you think Kane is better than one of those players, just say that.
I'm saying it's impossible to compare guys that played 20 years apart, had completely different training regimes, equipment, strategies/systems ect.

Anytime you try it becomes a pissing match and both sides end up looking foolish

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I'm saying it's impossible to compare guys that played 20 years apart, had completely different training regimes, equipment, strategies/systems ect.

Anytime you try it becomes a pissing match and both sides end up looking foolish
If you watch hockey from the 70s, the only thing it has in common with today's game is there are 5 guys and a goalie on each side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad