Player Discussion Alain Vigneault: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
This team has a metric ton of problems all over the ice. But it never ceases to amaze me how such a large portion of the fanbase can channel the ire to one man behind the bench. Quite frankly, it's lazy.

i rarely fingerpoint. I am stupidly loyal and optimisitic about all our guys

But AV hasn't adapted a bit this season, no matter what he saw, or NYR did.

and his refusal to use McIlrath, to sit Boyle or Girardi (and I am not a G hater) occasionally, was just silly

he's gotten out of step with the current NHL

young unproven guys are helping their teams all over
SJ got first career NHL playoff goals from 3 different guys last night
Isles OT winner - from a guy with 2 career reg season games
Playing a regular shift on D for Panthers - a kid with 3 career NHL reg season games

he doesn't owe the veterans ice time, he owes them the best chance to win

anyway, as i wrote earlier,
AV was brought in to seal the deal during the Hank and Nash era,
in 3 seasons he (probably) hasn't.

I would welcome a change to different experienced, successful (at some significant level) coach

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Let me vent this point so I can feel better. What coach with half a brain changes the lineup after winning a game like we did in game two? I would have even told McD to take it easy and take more time off, we're fine for now. I for sure would have kept McI/Yandle together. This coach is frustrating me this year; tinkering when and where he doesn't need to, as if he's throwing games and this series. I just don't get it.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City

SkjeiPls

May 21, 2013
I think AV is a great coach. I think his two big weaknesses is the ability to not adapt, and not holding players accountable.

I honestly wonder how he would do with new assistant coaches though.

Captain Lindy

Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I haven't been on AV too much in his time here but this is unacceptable. Why weren't these things attempted in the regular season? It's not like any of the problems we're dealing with now are new - they've been there all season. Now AV decides to start tweaking the roster on the brink of elimination? Panic moves.

He tweaks what he doesn't need to and leaves alone what he should tweak.

Captain Lindy

Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Maybe I'm crazy but if I was on the brink of elimination, I'd go with the same players I had in the ONE GAME we played really well in. :huh: Is coaching REALLY that hard????

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Is he still doing that thing where he tries to defend a one goal lead for 2+ periods?

Are you seeing a consistent and alarming lack of urgency?

Thats what I remember the most during his Vancouver tenure... it was frustrating, but... I still miss him sometimes. Part of that is probably because we really suck now.

Yup.

I won't miss him. He doesn't adapt and the ideas he clings rigidly to have failed us. We need someone new.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
I asked this before, and it wasn't answered: is he the worst neutral-zone coach in the league behind Roy and Hartley?

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
It's common sense!

No, it's not. You make it sound like we have a fool proof way to the Finals yet the coach is holding them back, no reason, just to spite his naysayers. Makes for a dramatic storyline Though, huh?

Just like the two coaches before him, this teams depth is horrible, add injuries and downgraded efforts and what choice is easy? Playing Mcilrath, a rookie who has looked shaky?? Yeah, that's the ticket....

Captain Lindy

Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
No, it's not. You make it sound like we have a fool proof way to the Finals yet the coach is holding them back, no reason, just to spite his naysayers. Makes for a dramatic storyline Though, huh?

Just like the two coaches before him, this teams depth is horrible, add injuries and downgraded efforts and what choice is easy? Playing Mcilrath, a rookie who has looked shaky?? Yeah, that's the ticket....

I never said that. You have to go with what works and know when to tweak and when not to. Leave success alone. Game two showed you have to pound the Penguins and it takes their game away. It's not rocket science.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I never said that. You have to go with what works and know when to tweak and when not to. Leave success alone. Game two showed you have to pound the Penguins and it takes their game away. It's not rocket science.

What are the huge tweaks he's making ?

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Play Diaz,an oft injured guy in the AHL this season who hasn't played an NHL game in over a year instead?

Talk about flinging stuff at the walls and hoping something sticks.

The overall larger point of Diaz is not AV, its that whoever the coach is has crap depth on this Ranger team. Vets are slower and banged up, the youth is too raw and obviously not ready for big minutes. Management has failed to supply the pipeline with any viable options.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
... crap depth on this Ranger team. Vets are slower and banged up, the youth is too raw and obviously not ready for big minutes. Management has failed to supply the pipeline with any viable options.

there's some truth here, but thee are young hungry guys who have earned it

you really want to help the PP, put in Bodie for Boyle
if its only gonna be 10-12 minutes on ice, as promising as anyone else

no reason not to try Hrivik over Glass

these guys have worked their whole lives for this
but NYR have an arbitrarily high bar for playing upcoming kids over marginal vets

i noted earlier, last night
SJ had 3 guys score their first career playoff game as they eliminated LAK,
a guy with 2 or 3 reg season games won the Isles OT game,
Fla has regular on D with only 3 regular season games

risk averse = not on top

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
The overall larger point of Diaz is not AV, its that whoever the coach is has crap depth on this Ranger team. Vets are slower and banged up, the youth is too raw and obviously not ready for big minutes. Management has failed to supply the pipeline with any viable options.

One could argue Mcilrath is raw and not ready because he spent most of the year in the press box watching a guy who's 3 feet in the grave and a guy who was injured all year block his way. Had AV rested those guys at times this year, he would've got the minutes and exposure he needs.

I know this is getting beat to death but no one is arguing that the depth on this roster is great or acceptable. Everyone is arguing that the coach hasn't done a great job with what he has. I mean honestly do all the "roster sucks" people really think AV has been good this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad