Affiliates IX: Cleveland Monsters and more (All Affiliate Talk Here)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

puckgoalnet

Feb 23, 2003
Columbus, OH
Visit site
After barely seeing him in the 2nd, surprisingly Mateychuk is getting more shifts in the 3rd.

Doesn't look bad. At first it looks like he roams a bit, but I think it's just the style of D he's been playing (rather than Clevelands) ... He tracks his man really well until he gets to the dot's, then hustles back to cover the crease or an open man.

When he gets control of the puck in the D-Zone he seems to play a style similar to what Michigan implemented this year (the Pep Guardiola inspired system) ... i.e. instead of making short passes in the zone get it to the neutral zone as quickly as possible (meant to get your forwards against their D quickly and eliminate their Center).

Reactions: PanniniClaus

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
How did Mateychuk, Jiricek, and Svozil look?

Jiricek was his typical self, creating chances at both ends. His backcheck play on the PK was nice, where he broke up a 2 on 1, but he also gave Hershey some of its best chances of the night.

Svozil is less noteworthy, he plays a more solid game next to Jiricek but I haven't noticed him creating much either.

I thought Mateychuk was good, he was QBing the PP and made some nice passes throughout. He was active offensively but chose his spots well. I didn't notice any defensive mishaps from him but can't be sure that there weren't any.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
How did Mateychuk, Jiricek, and Svozil look?
Hey, I am now 2-0 this season at Monsters games :)

I was excited to see Jiricek play and then mostly disappointed with what I saw. Granted it was just one game and his back check when he came flying into the play to break up the scoring opportunity was a time for him to flash. I saw a guy who has a booming shot but is a bit of a liability in his own end. The dude is heartburn for me. My concern is that he expects to be in Columbus next season but if he cannot hold up defensively in the AHL I have zero confidence he is ready for the NHL next season. I wish he would spend more time in Cleveland marinating next season but not sure he will take that assignment well...again. I blame this on Jarmo, had no logical plan for properly developing the excellent talent he accumulated.

Svozil was unnoticeable. He had one nice physical check in the corner of our own end but other than that...I got nothing. I mean not being noticeable is typically good for a defensemen...right?

I was so pumped to see Mateychuk play. BTW, what's his nickname? I so badly want to call him "Chucky". I saw nothing that disappointed me for a first pro game. Nothing like being thrown into the fire. I felt like he played responsible defense and made some nice passes and of course got some PP QB opportunity. I did feel like he had more defensive zone starts than offensive zone starts (that's just a guess) and would have rather see him protected a little more. I felt he seemed a little tentative to jump up into the play last night and suspected he was being a little cautious for his first game which was A-OK with me.

On a side note, the Monsters must have gotten crushed in the face off circle. Seemed like the Bears won every offensive zone face-off they had in the last ten minutes of the game. Just terrible then.

Had a fun time at the game last night. Southern Tier Brewery and Restaurant was a god place for dinner and drinks before the game, finally a place that knows how to execute on the concept of a "smash burger" and its like a three minute walk from the arena.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad