Player Discussion Adam Fox

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The playoff picture may play a role.

San Jose has 13 wins..... 13.
WPG is having a strong season and Buffalo will fall short once again.

There is no complete defender to the level of Adam Fox. It's not even close.

If EK continues his pace I don't think the playoff race really matters.

A defenseman hasn't broken 100 points in 30 years. Fox either needs to close that gap considerably or EK needs to tail off. Plus theres a chance that he isn't even a Shark after the deadline as there is some trade interest in him.

Reactions: CasusBelli

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

A defenseman hasn't broken 100 points in 30 years. Fox either needs to close that gap considerably or EK needs to tail off. Plus theres a chance that he isn't even a Shark after the deadline as there is some trade interest in him.
he's going to slow down or get hurt imo

when was the last time he played this much hockey? 5 years? He'd need 82 games, or close to it to get to 100pts.

but yeah, if he continues this ridiculous pace, it's probably going to him.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

when was the last time he played this much hockey? 5 years? He'd need 82 games, or close to it to get to 100pts.

At this rate it’s not impossible that fox finishes with around 100 either. He’s been fire for a while

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

I hope so, at the start of the year i took a proline out on Karlsson winning the Norris, can't remember what it pays but the odds were great...also took Shesty to win the Conn Smythe, its possible.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Its hard to compare Makar and Fox.

Makar's skillset, skating and shot are superior to almost all defenders in the game, including Fox (and many forwards). He a pure player, similar to how McDavid is compared to forwards.

What sets Fox apart from everyone is his uniqueness. He isnt the biggest, nor fastest, best skater or shooter. Its not about that with him. Its all intelligence, deception, stickhandling skills and an awareness level that is off the charts.

He has all of the similarities of a transcendent, generational talent like Gretzky (and Orr) in that he changes what a hockey player is thought to be and no one can adjust to it. Although im not sure the game will ever seen someone who emulates Fox's game or compares to him in the same style when all is said and done.

Does that make him "better"? Maybe. It depends on how you define what excellence is at his position. For me, in life in general, there are artists and influential people throughout history that leave their mark and the ones that are remembered the most are the ones that have a true individuality that is unlike anything this earth has seen.

To me thats Fox, and its why he is the best.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017

Makar's skillset, skating and shot are superior to almost all defenders in the game, including Fox (and many forwards). He a pure player, similar to how McDavid is compared to forwards.

What sets Fox apart from everyone is his uniqueness. He isnt the biggest, nor fastest, best skater or shooter. Its not about that with him. Its all intelligence, deception, stickhandling skills and an awareness level that is off the charts.

He has all of the similarities of a transcendent, generational talent like Gretzky (and Orr) in that he changes what a hockey player is thought to be and no one can adjust to it. Although im not sure the game will ever seen someone who emulates Fox's game or compares to him in the same style when all is said and done.

Does that make him "better"? Maybe. It depends on how you define what excellence is at his position. For me, in life in general, there are artists and influential people throughout history that leave their mark and the ones that are remembered the most are the ones that have a true individuality that is unlike anything this earth has seen.

Fox's status is also hurt by the fact that we live in a highlight reel, low attention span world. People watch Makar use his skating ability to score a highlight reel goal and now, he's the greatest. It's far less exciting watching Fox use patience, deception and vision to outsmart everyone on the ice, including his own team mates.
I've always said that Fox should have 20-30 more points/year if his team mates could finish the dimes he drops on them.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Fox's status is also hurt by the fact that we live in a highlight reel, low attention span world. People watch Makar use his skating ability to score a highlight reel goal and now, he's the greatest. It's far less exciting watching Fox use patience, deception and vision to outsmart everyone on the ice, including his own team mates.
I've always said that Fox should have 20-30 more points/year if his team mates could finish the dimes he drops on them.
It's way more satisfying to watch Fox night after night though because of how subtle his style is.

Not taking anything away from Makar. If Fox is Gretzky on defense, then Makar is McDavid on defense.

They're both superb and both teams are lucky to have their guy.

He keeps this level of play up and when its all said and done,he might end up the greatest defenseman this franchise has ever had.Yeah,I said it...
As great as Leetch was, I think you're right.

I hope he doesn't end up like Lundqvist though - the best in franchise history at his position but no cup.

Reactions: mrmovies779

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Agree. And its all the other little things he does, consistently on a nightly basis. Like batting pucks out of mid air and recovering on plays where he is seemingly beat, that most players would only do here and there.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Fox excels in the mental side of the game (anticipation especially). Makar excels in the physical side of them game. We’ve seen even unimpressive skaters (which Fox isn’t) still succeed because of their intelligence; we’ve seen fast and physical players dominate as well. Very different playing styles. It’s like comparing OV and Crosby — which, for some reason, people still continue to do.

Reactions: Holocene

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
It's actually amazing to me that I never, or rarely ever have posted here in Fox's thread. Probably because no words can really express how amazing this man is and how I feel about him.

Anyone that knows me, knows that I'm usually not at a loss for words. So here I am, just wanted to throw in...... how blessed we are to have this man on our team. Thanks to God that he grew up a Rangers fan, I mean can you even imagine, if he had been inclined to sign with Carolina, and to a lesser extent Calgary?
Had he signed with Carolina we would have to be dealing with him on an already good team in Carolina within our division. Imagine him setting up Aho, Svechnikov, Teravainen, Staal and a few others that I really can't think of right now. Just think about that, let alone US not having him.
In finishing, I am not one to buy a lot of jerseys because of affordability factors, (not that I don't want to) but let's just say I went out and bought a Fox jersey, and there is no way in God's country that I will ever regret it.
We need to enjoy and appreciate every single moment, because careers seemingly end in the blink of an eye. I know, because that's the way I have felt many times over......last time being Hank.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

FWIW Orr was the best skater in the NHL until a series of knee injuries pretty much ended his career. Gretzky's game is similar to Fox's in that it depended a lot on guile, stick skills and instinct and being able to see plays developing faster than pretty much anyone then to now. His skating was good but his IQ was off the charts. It also helped though that in Edmonton he was surrounded by all kinds of HOF talent. There were great players for him to play with in LA with STL and the Rangers but not quite the same as with Edmonton. Orr was very smart too but his skills particularly his skating were elite. He would blow by the opposition like McDavid now. It was a meaner league back then.....coaches would send out guys deliberately to f*** with him and FWIW Orr would drop the gloves and despite being average size he was a very good fighter. His team was pretty nasty too. Still the way opposing teams looked at it then the best way to stop him was to get him out of the game.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Today on Overdrive:

"What's down for Connor McDavid are his assists at 5 on 5. The conversion rate on his passes is way below the league average. So if he had Kane healthy or a good/average finisher on his line, at this point of the year he'd have at least 10 more points." - Mike Johnson

hackeyman

Jun 26, 2018

Can EK win the Norris if he ends up with a negative plus minus. Has a defenceman ever done that ?

Vinh

Mar 19, 2010
Montreal
virtualhockeyscout.substack.com
Fox is one of my favorite players to watch right now. His decision-making with the puck is ridiculously good. I'm not sure there's a smarter defenseman in the league.

If anyone's interested, I wrote an article about his performance so far. It contains footage from seven random games (not just goal highlights) and some underlying stats that illustrate how effective he's been. It can be tricky to explain Fox's hockey sense, so hopefully these clips get the point across.

As a Leafs fan who has to endure Morgan Rielly's presence, I'm incredibly jealous.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Fox will not have enough points to win the Norris thanks to the team as a whole being impotent offensively, even if he is a better player than the guys with more points.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
download (2).png

download (3).png
download (4).png
download (5).png
download (6).png
download (7).png
download (8).png

download (9).png

I have cards of Fox and several other top defensemen.

He's the best defenseman in the league.

Imagine being as mid as Miro Heiskanen. That's so sad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad