Player Discussion Adam Fox

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It would require more than a second Norris

A Cup (or three) and a Conn Smythe.
I don't know if you can compare careers based on one Conn Smythe run but if it's close, you give the guy that has one the nod.

I can't see anybody beating out Leetch and it's not very close.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Really hate that Karlsson is going to win purely based on offensive output. He's not even average defensively, he's god awful
True but a more accurate representation of what he's doing offensively would be like 125 instead of 99.

He's going to have 100 points on a lottery team. I have no problem giving out a Norris for the best offensive season the position has ever seen.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
He will very likely surpass Howell, Park, Greschner, Patrick.

But not Leetch unless he wins several more big trophies.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
True but a more accurate representation of what he's doing offensively would be like 125 instead of 99.

He's going to have 100 points on a lottery team. I have no problem giving out a Norris for the best offensive season the position has ever seen.

Yeah, I guess can let it fly. Didn't realize he's up to 95 already - jeez

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Really goes to show how much Lindholm struggled in Eakins system. Cannot wait till he is gone. That team is a mess on defense.
It's crazy. They were in such great shape and then totally screwed the pooch. Imagine them with Theodore and Lindholm still on their team. +Fowler +Drysdale + Zellweger next year +Mintyukov down the road.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's crazy. They were in such great shape and then totally screwed the pooch. Imagine them with Theodore and Lindholm still on their team. +Fowler +Drysdale + Zellweger next year +Mintyukov down the road.

Don’t want to go too off topic in the Fox thread. But yeah too many D went to move on to have their careers blossom. Also, look at Montour in Florida. Ducks are excellent at drafting D, they have one the deepest prospects D pools in the league now.

1-2 years Ducks D will be stacked, so they have another chance to set things right for their blue lines. Plus add a Top 3/5 potential pick in this draft, and things are looking up. It’s been a very brutal season. The Ducks fans have been very positive despite how bad things have been and I think the future is one of the reasons for that. Need to also shoot Eakins to the moon first. Lol.

Priorae

Apr 21, 2017
New Jersey
He will very likely surpass Howell, Park, Greschner, Patrick.

But not Leetch unless he wins several more big trophies.
I think he's going to retire as a top 3 Ranger period barring injury. That's how good he is already and his game is perfect to age well.

hackeyman

Jun 26, 2018

Machinehead......I'm GOBSMACKED ! The best offensive season the position has ever seen ?????
Let me tell you a story about a man named Jed.......oops wrong story.

It all begin in the small Ontario town of Parry Sound on Mar. 20,1948 when Doug and Arva Orr welcomed Robert Gordon into the world. Known as Bobby he was a sick baby at birth and his survival was tenuous. He displayed his hockey talent at an early age playing his first organised hockey at the age of 5.

Oh wait this could take too long. Lets jump ahead a bit.

In 1969-70 he bacame the first and to this day over 50 years later the only defenceman to win the Art Ross Trophy as the NHL's leading scorer with Defenceman SHATTERING RECORDS for GOALS, ASSISTS,and POINTS with 33G 87A. 120 pts. Phil Esposito(who benefited being Orr's teammate) was 2nd with 99 . THE 2ND PLACE DEFENCEMAN HAD 44 POINTS . ORR HAD ALMOST 3 TIMES THE POINTS AS THE 2ND PLACE DEFENCEMAN !!! :eek3:

In 1970-71 with 37G 102 A 139 points he would break his own records for a defenceman . The assists and points records still stand today over 50 years later even despite there being an over decade long era of substanially higher points scoring.

In 1974-75 he again won the Art Ross trophy and broke his goal scoring record with 46.

HE REVOLUTIONIZED THE GAME OF HOCKEY !

Prior to ORR the Bruins had sat in the basement of the league for several years.

Last edited:

maris

Oct 20, 2005
Machinehead......I'm GOBSMACKED ! The best offensive season the postition has ever seen ?????
Let me tell you a story about a man named Jed.......oops wrong story.

It all begin in the small Ontario town of Parry Sound on Mar. 20,1948 when Doug and Arva Orr welcomed Robert Gordon into the world. Known as Bobby he was a sick baby at birth and his survival was tenuous. He displayed his hockey talent at an early age playing his first organised hockey at the age of 5.

Oh wait this could take too long. Lets jump ahead a bit.

In 1969-70 he bacame the first and to this day over 50 years later the only defenceman to win the Art Ross Trophy as the NHL's leading scorer with Defenceman SHATTERING RECORDS for GOALS, ASSISTS,and POINTS with 33G 87A. 120 pts. Phil Esposito(who benefited being Orr's teammate) was 2nd with 99 . THE 2ND PLACE DEFENCEMAN HAD 44 POINTS . ORR HAD ALMOST 3 TIMES THE POINTS AS THE 2ND PLACE DEFENCEMAN !!! :eek3:

In 1970-71 with 37G 102 A 139 points he would break his own records for a defenceman . The assists and points records still stand today over 50 years later even despite there being an over decade long era of substanially higher points scoring.

In 1974-75 he again won the Art Ross trophy and broke his goal scoring record with 46.

HE REVOLUTIONIZED THE GAME OF HOCKEY !

Prior to ORR the Bruins had sat in the basement of the league for several years.
Paul Coffey had some big offensive years

Reactions: Boris Zubov

hackeyman

Jun 26, 2018
Paul Coffey had some big offensive years
When average scoring in an NHL game was 8 pts. compared to 6 for Orr.
Coffey never came close to winning the scoring race . He never decimated the 2nd highest scoring defenceman the way Orr did.
Coffey was to Gretzky as Esposito was to Orr.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
As long as he stays healthy and continues his high level of play, Adam Fox will go down as the best Rangers defenseman when all is said and done.
Last year Roman Josi scored the most points in a season for a defenseman since I believe Housley in the early 90's.

Fox is good. But let's not go overboard here. Leetch scored over 1000 career points playing through the dead-puck era. Over 900 of those as a Ranger. He scored over 100 points in a season. Fox will never beat Leetch. Leetch flat out dominated games with his skating, skills, and vision. Fox is nowhere near the skater Leetch was. Leetch scored 34 points in the 1994 playoffs, 3 shy of the NHL record. That was in 23 games. Fox played 20 playoff games last year and scored 23 points. 11 more points in only 3 extra games by Leetch. 89 career playoff points. That's while being held back by garbage Rangers teams that missed the playoffs for 7 seasons.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
If Makar is the best defenseman since Orr, does that make Fox the best player since Gretzky?
I'm not sure I've ever seen a player more overrated than this guy by hockey media.

Roman Josi had a historic season last year, he put up more points than any defenseman in a season since Housley 92-93. The last defenseman to break 100 points in a season was Leetch 91-92.

Karlsson will most likely break 100 points this season for the first time since Leetch in 91-92.

Makar had one good season. Not anywhere near the truly great seasons and he isn't anywhere near replicating that one season.

If anyone is the best defenseman since Orr it was Leetch, Coffey, or Bourque.

Leetch is the best American born defenseman of all time and didn't have generational players surrounding him his entire career like the other two and he's not Canadian so he has that working against him in the eyes of hockey media.

Dougie freaking Hamilton has more points than Makar this season. Games played, understood but if he was better than all the other guys mentioned above then he'd still have more points than Hamilton at least regardless of games played. Point is that he had one very good, not great, not historic, season. Even being a far better skater than Fox (which isn't hard to do, he's a terrible skater) Fox is still right there with his production. Makar isn't even the best of this generation let alone since Orr. As of now Brent Burns is closer to Orr than Makar.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I would be shocked if he doesn't win at least another Norris.

At this point another Norris isn't the bar he has to cross. The Cup is the bar. That said I don't see the Rangers winning the Cup without Fox being a (or the) major catalyst and being at the top of his game. Then it becomes arguable between him and Leetch. Not that interested in 100 point seasons. They're even rarer now for defensemen than they were in Leetch's time. Just more goals being scored back then and the Rangers (no salary cap) were stacked back then. That said Brian Leetch was easily our best player in the Stanley Cup run on a game to game basis. He just took over one game after another. Fox's game is a bit more low key than Brian's.

Another thing it's important for Fox to be the offensive catalyst but he's also got to play great D. Fortunately unlike a lot of other small puck moving defensemen he's very good defensively. Leetch was usually at least very good defensively.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Coun
Last year Roman Josi scored the most points in a season for a defenseman since I believe Housley in the early 90's.

Fox is good. But let's not go overboard here. Leetch scored over 1000 career points playing through the dead-puck era. Over 900 of those as a Ranger. He scored over 100 points in a season. Fox will never beat Leetch. Leetch flat out dominated games with his skating, skills, and vision. Fox is nowhere near the skater Leetch was. Leetch scored 34 points in the 1994 playoffs, 3 shy of the NHL record. That was in 23 games. Fox played 20 playoff games last year and scored 23 points. 11 more points in only 3 extra games by Leetch. 89 career playoff points. That's while being held back by garbage Rangers teams that missed the playoffs for 7 seasons.
Counter argument is that Leetch wasn't nearly as good a defender as Fox.
Not making a case for either since both were/will be RAnger legends.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad