Player Discussion Adam Fox

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
His backhander is insane. He's clearly really worked on it, he's got the hands and agility to find soft spots in the slot after sliding along the boards, and using a backhander from there can be deadly as teams (understandably) overplay the forehand hard. He's hit the goalie mask (kind of equivalent to hitting the post in my book- 2-3 inches adjustment either way and it's in) plus a post or two a few times with it.

His wrist shot accuracy is also solid with a nice release, but like the rest of the team he's been trying to be too pinpoint with it often shooting wide.

Reactions: CLW and Rongomania

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
It’s redundant and tired to say how good he is but it’s true..

As a severely jaded and skeptic of a fan, he’s the only Ranger that can still Wow me, game in game out. Hes so good makes watching Rangers refreshing, and some hope another cup might be brought back some day

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I think a lot of people forgot how good he really is because he played through injury for basically the entire second half of last season. He was easily our best skater in the playoffs once he finally looked healthy again.
Just keeps getting better and better.

Such a force this season and making a strong case for team MVP.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Fox wont have the hardware long term because his competition is flashier, but he's been Lidstrom like since day 1 in the NHL. In all 3 zones.
The more I think about it, the more this is an excellent comp for him.

Steady in all zones, not physical but extremely smart positionally with a great stick. Clean player, almost never takes penalties but will stand up for himself and teammates. Very hard to tee up for a huge hit or knock off the puck. Accurate, hard, but not overpowering slapshot. Excellent playmaking abilities and similar goal/assist ratios. Fox probably joins the rush more but that's as much a product of today's game requiring D activation compared to Lidstrom's era...and I say that to mean Lidstrom would be below the goal line more in today's era, not that Fox would be any less effective than he is now in Lidstrom's era.

It's a treat to watch him play. I hope he plays here for life.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
I don't remember ever watching a ranger player where I felt so safe or assured when he is around the puck. When he got the puck with space near the half boards before that 3rd goal, I had full confidence that he was about to make a high-quality play for a high-danger opportunity.

Reactions: bl02

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I can’t imagine where this team would be without Adam Fox, and i don’t want to imagine it.

Reactions: tlk

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I don't remember ever watching a ranger player where I felt so safe or assured when he is around the puck. When he got the puck with space near the half boards before that 3rd goal, I had full confidence that he was about to make a high-quality play for a high-danger opportunity.
or when he has 2-3 guys surrounding him behind his own net and just calmly makes a move to free himself and get the puck out safely.

Reactions: Row I Goon

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
As impressive as his all around game is, I also want to add that one of the most impressive aspects of his game is his ability to read the play and the angles to keep the puck in the offensive zone.

Seriously. He might be the best in the league at it. Can't even count how many time I've watched the other team get the puck at the half wall or low circle and lift a forehand clearing attempt going out of the zone somewhere I have no inkling that Adam Fox will be (like the center point when the puck is on the right side), and then it hits him in the chest protector and he makes a play on what looked to be a certain zone clear.

Reactions: tlk

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He was our best player two years ago. Last year it was Igor and he was second. This year Fox is our best player again. More than anyone he got us the tying goal last night after Igor let a bad one in. Pretty much Fox willed that goal in.

K'Andre is also becoming a really good contributor and a great player at both ends. Rangers D is maybe the most active on offense in the entire league. That's with Trouba having an off season so far.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
He is so good at keeping the puck in the zone. he creates so much offense. Its honestly surprising he isn't on pace for 100+ points.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I think what is most impressive is that, while yes, Fox is an NHL athlete, he really isn't as physically flashy as other young stars in the league like Makar or Jack Hughes. They use their elite vision and skating to score.

Fox does it all by simply being cunning, reading his plays, and putting the puck in perfect spots for his teammates without elite explosive foot speed. But I think he's as good as anyone in the NHL.

And when those things don't work, he can still keep opposing defenses guessing with a head fake and suddenly walk right into the crease with the puck as we saw last night.

He's so dangerous out there. I'm just glad he didn't peak in his Norris year and continues to play at that level this season.

And I don't think his skating is bad - it's exactly where it needs to be - but he's not going to win straight line foot races against the fastest guys in the league like those other dudes will. So the positioning and angles become that much more important for Fox.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I just dont get how he isnt being discussed as a frontrunner for the Norris this year. Like he isnt mentioned in the top 3.

Its a travesty

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
I've never loved a player and their development in my fandom as much as Fox

Grows up a huge Rangers fan, bleeding blue and getting all of the bad times and good times we got in the 2000s. Somehow forces his way here through TWO organizations that both really could've used him (jesus christ imagine Fox on Carolina.....), and we make an on the surface really weird trade for him to get him out of college early.

He steps on the ice head and shoulders above his peers. I remember the traverse city coverage going off about how Fox was laughing at everyone on the ice, he was a puppet master and nobody had an answer for him. That's the moment Jack Han admitted he really screwed up on his analysis of Fox. I remember it well.

He steps onto NHL ice, again, head and shoulders above the others. He quite literally stepped onto the ice a top 10 defenseman in the world. Out of the box. No AHL time, no soft minutes, he was elite from the moment we laid eyes on him. He claws his way up the depth chart through TDA's amazing career year and shiny new "all situations leader" Trouba to be the Rangers top pair D in January 2020. He had a slow start offensively, think he only had 2 points in his first month, but goes on to make our PP2 almost as good as PP1 through his efforts alone.

He had a game against Montreal at the end of Feb 2020 where he was playing like shit and caused one of the goals against. He went apeshit that 3rd period and willed the team to win by himself (believe it was 1g 1a and a third goal where he was not given a point but started the whole thing) and we all remarked on that's what a kid taking over games looks like.

Then he becomes the best PP defenseman in the world, overnight, and wins a norris at age 23, the career youngest winner since Bobby Orr, on a year where the Rangers didnt even make the playoffs.

He had a tough season in 21-22 but had a conn smythe esque run through the playoffs where he, Zibanejad, and Shesty dragged this team kicking and screaming to a conference final where every opponent they faced was a better team.

Now we are here with him being the most valuable D in the league. This was a superstar since day 1. No "well he contributed this much to our offense" or "the points will come" with him. It was smooth as butter and a sugary treat since day 1 for him.

Can't wait to watch the rest of his career at his home where he belongs. love u Foxxxy

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
He is a top 5 player in the entire league. If he keeps up this play and doesnt win a Norris it will be a travesty. Our window is always open with Adam Fox

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
He is a top 5 player in the entire league. If he keeps up this play and doesnt win a Norris it will be a travesty. Our window is always open with Adam Fox
He should win it for his overall impact but he's probably 4th right now due to Karlsson, Dahlin and Morissey scoring at 90+ pt paces (well 100+ for Karlsson)

I just dont get how he isnt being discussed as a frontrunner for the Norris this year. Like he isnt mentioned in the top 3.

Its a travesty
Its all about points

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad