Player Discussion Adam Fox

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Disappointing? 600+ NHL games and a Cup

That’s a really general way to put it. He didn’t contribute anything to that Cup team.

As a person MDZ did fine for himself. He stayed in the league, made money, was part of a Cup team.

He wasn’t a total bust (he had a career) but obviously the Rangers were hoping for a top 4 defenseman who could be a PO QB for 10+ years when selecting in the first round. His rookie year inspired confidence and a brief period with pre injury Staal was terrific. Outside of that the guy was a total liability and extremely frustrating.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Carlson and Del Zotto were ranked around the same. In retrospect yeah I wish we’d taken Carlsonbut whatever. Can’t fret over every draft

e: Fox will be fascinating to watch and see where he ends up. I feel like people think his size will hold him back from being a #1 but his smarts might make up for that and more. Not very #1 is big and dominating in the corners physically. The ability to control the game with the puck on his stick or to break up plays by the other team before they ca. Even start attacking could make him a legit top guy before too long

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
If none of Fox DeAngelo or Trouba can play their off side in the off-season one of them should work at trying to play as a LHS instead. You see plenty of switch hitters in baseball and a lot of players who shoot one side in hockey in reality have their other hand as dominant.
or obviously, just move them to forward. Maybe see how they are on faceoffs

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
If none of Fox DeAngelo or Trouba can play their off side in the off-season one of them should work at trying to play as a LHS instead. You see plenty of switch hitters in baseball and a lot of players who shoot one side in hockey in reality have their other hand as dominant.
ADA writes with his left hand so..

LOL.

Reactions: will1066

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Not a bad comparison. MDZ was a top 4 NHL D at 19 and then just kinda died.

Big difference though: MDZ never skated well enough to play the style he wanted. Fox can fly.
Fox can’t and doesn’t fly. He’s an average skater. What Fox has is absolutely off the charts Hockey IQ and eyes in the back of his head. I’ve tried to compare him to another NHL player and keep coming up short. Ryan Ellis is the best I can do.

I wish I knew what happened with MDZ. His skating was always suspect. Other teams clearly developed a book on him and he was unable to adjust. Based on what I’ve seen in the succeeding years, hockey IQ is definitely An issue and his confidence seemed to waver. At some point, he also lost the confidence of the coaches.

Last edited:

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Chicken or the egg... does Fox make Lindgren better or the other way around???

maris

Oct 20, 2005
Could on say that Fox has eyes in the back of his head and a 6th sense like the Great one had??? Or is that going way too far??

motopanekeku

abnormally high
Aug 23, 2009
Fox can’t and doesn’t fly. He’s an average skater. What Fox has is absolutely off the charts Hockey IQ and eyes in the back of his head. I’ve tried to compare him to another NHL player and keep coming up short. Ryan Ellis is the best I can do.

I wish I knew what happened with MDZ. His skating was always suspect. Other teams clearly developed a book on him and he was unable to adjust. Based on what I’ve seen in the succeeding years, hockey IQ is definitely An issue and his confidence seemed to waver. At some point, he also lost the confidence of the coaches.
He couldn't hit the net with his shot and couldn't defend when his shots flew back around the boards lol

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
He couldn't hit the net with his shot and couldn't defend when his shots flew back around the boards lol

I'll never forget his first game, I believe it was Sids first Cup banner night in Pitt. DZ looked like he was going to puke all night.

And that horrible shot, it's as though he never practiced it.

Reactions: Musto

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Could on say that Fox has eyes in the back of his head and a 6th sense like the Great one had??? Or is that going way too far??

No, I think you're going way too far. Fox clearly has great awareness of what's happening on the ice and where his teammates are and will be, but there's a reason why Gretzky=TGO. He's not really up there with Leetch (perhaps yet? It will take a lot) either--who had 14 points in 17 games when he joined the Rangers in 1988 and 71 points in 68 games (winning the Calder).

Let Fox be Fox for now. He's doing just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad