Player Discussion Adam Fox

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Every young defenseman on here is the next McDonagh/Sauer/Stralman/Leetch. Idk if Fox has the potential to be a 1D, maybe, but he plays nothing like McDonagh. There honestly aren't many players in the entire NHL I can think of has comparable.

so maybe not Leetch or McD... a true #1D... but maybe a Zubov is a better slot for him? Not exactly in terms of skillset, but in the sense that he is a ++ weapon to have behind a big-gun #1.

Fox playing the #2A behind a Trouba-Miller pair would be just sick. He would be able to feast on the competition.

Having Zubov on the second pair behind Leetch-Buke was a great asset to have.

edit: holy crap. in 1994, Zubov was 4th in Norris voting, playing on the second pair.

Reactions: Cag29

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I don’t think he’s the defensive presence that McD was. But I think his offensive upside might be a little higher, or at least a little more consistent.
McD never thought the game (in the O zone but even in the D zone) like Fox does so while McD has the tools he never seemed to have that offensive awareness that Fox possess. There was a brief 6-12 month period where it seemed McD put it together offensively and would become that dynamic weapon in the O zone, but injuries hampered that and he regressed a bit in that regard.

TLDR: Fox is less skilled but has the greater ability to maximize what he's got offensively. If he continues to work on his skating the rest will fall into place for him and the sky is the limit I feel. Or rather, 'the roof is the ceiling' lol

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Fox is getting the coaches' confidence. Fox always had confidence in himself, once he realized he could play with the pros in international play. But you could see the coaches now use him in important minutes of the game. Along with Lindgren, which I might add, does not seem as impressive. Just my take. Lindgren might be sound defensively, but is not nearly as noticeable as Fox is on the ice when they have the puck. That's not a knock on Lindgren, just that he seems to get more praise from the coaches, than Fox does.
Your bar for Lindgren is WAYYYYY too high because your comparing him to Fox. Lingdren is a rookie has not looked out of place, solid in the D zone and starting to get confidence to make plays in the O zone.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
McD never thought the game (in the O zone but even in the D zone) like Fox does so while McD has the tools he never seemed to have that offensive awareness that Fox possess. There was a brief 6-12 month period where it seemed McD put it together offensively and would become that dynamic weapon in the O zone, but injuries hampered that and he regressed a bit in that regard.

TLDR: Fox is less skilled but has the greater ability to maximize what he's got offensively. If he continues to work on his skating the rest will fall into place for him and the sky is the limit I feel. Or rather, 'the roof is the ceiling' lol

Your TLDR is almost as long as the paragraph you're summarizing.

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
so maybe not Leetch or McD... a true #1D... but maybe a Zubov is a better slot for him? Not exactly in terms of skillset, but in the sense that he is a ++ weapon to have behind a big-gun #1.

Fox playing the #2A behind a Trouba-Miller pair would be just sick. He would be able to feast on the competition.

edit: holy crap. in 1994, Zubov was 4th in Norris voting, playing on the second pair.
God that was awesome! And that got us a cup!!!! LGR!!!!

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014

Fox has innate passing ability (to just sling passes on the tape) McDonagh never had and has vision and patience to see plays develop that most defensemen do not have. McDonagh's offensive game was all about his elite skating ability and quick transition to offense from defense.

Similarly, peak McDonagh was one of the best defensive players in the league, some of the tightest gaps and some of the best 1on1 defense in-zone, breaking up cycles and separating guys from the puck singlehandedly. Fox will most likely never be the defensive horse McD was.

But he could be a really special offensive player, someone like Zubov or Rafalski on the upper-end. Way too early to say he'll be as good as those guys but he's shown the flashes of being able to slow the game down like them and see it like those guys did.

Reactions: belford22 and romba

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
two thirds of that is basically already happening.

it’s not that far away.
A Trouba Miller top pairing? If Miller stays in college another year (and I think he will) such move is at least 3 years away. And that is providing that Miller takes the necessary steps forward. I guess it depends on your definition of what is near, middle or long term is.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Right now, I'd say Miller is returning for his junior year.

I'd also caution that even after college, he might be a guy you think of as more of a long-term investment.

I do worry that on some level, there's an expectation that Miller comes out and performs on a high level pretty quickly.

I think there's going to need to be some significant adjustments along the way, and his success is likely to come a bit more gradually.

Expectations and patience might be my two biggest concerns when it comes to Miller.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Right now, I'd say Miller is returning for his junior year.

I'd also caution that even after college, he might be a guy you think of as more of a long-term investment.

I do worry that on some level, there's an expectation that Miller comes out and performs on a high level pretty quickly.

I think there's going to need to be some significant adjustments along the way, and his success is likely to come a bit more gradually.

Expectations and patience might be my two biggest concerns when it comes to Miller.

if there is one thing this place is known for its having patience :naughty:

Reactions: White Death 24

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
if there is one thing this place is known for its having patience :naughty:

And Miller might be a player that causes some fits because he's a kid who has an incredible combination of size, raw skill and athleticism.

When people see those type of players, it's very easy to put the cart before the horse.

Miller is a kid who might have the eyes of the NHL upon one day, but it might not be until he's 26. And while people tend to respond that they know that, and are willing to accept that, waiting for 5 or even 7 years for the payoff is a lot easier said than done.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
And Miller might be a player that causes some fits because he's a kid who has an incredible combination of size, raw skill and athleticism.

When people see those type of players, it's very easy to put the cart before the horse.

Miller is a kid who might have the eyes of the NHL upon one day, but it might not be until he's 26. And while people tend to respond that they know that, and are willing to accept that, waiting for 5 or even 7 years for the payoff is a lot easier said than done.

Wait, are you saying Miller might not make his debut until he's 26? That would be 7 years from now...

Or are you saying he won't his potential prime until then? That'd be different.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Wait, are you saying Miller might not make his debut until he's 26? That would be 7 years from now...

Oh no, definitely the latter.

I think he could be a guy for whom all the pieces don't really come together until he's 26ish. That's not to say he won't play until then. It's just that he might not be viewed as the Rangers first, second or even third best defenseman until a bit later in his development curve.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

I believe the latter.

People need to remember that he has not been a defenseman for very long. Marinating in college and learning the position would be good for him. THEN it is another steep learning curve when he turns pro. Chances are, you are probably not seeing him with the big team for another 3 years.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

I think it's a matter of the mental game with Miller. He has all of the tools to dominate a hockey game, but if he picks his spots, and doesn't try to do too much, then he will be fine. Where he gets himself into a jam is when he plays like a rover. That doesn't translate well into the NHL. He's had a rough go of it this year. I think the WJCs will do him well as a coming out party and resetting those expectations.

We have to remember, he was playing 3rd pair minutes with a dysfunctional USNDP team his D-1 year, as a recently converted defenseman.

Last year was the first year where he got some prime minutes.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Man Fox and Tony are gonna make us regret that Trouba contract, aren’t they?
No? As has been argued before, Trouba’s presence allows them to slot into their natural positions. He plays a much stiffer defensive game, eats the most dangerous minutes, and is oh by the way on pace for 40 points himself (despite being bumped from the top PP unit).

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2002
NYC

Zubov lead the team in scoring last year.

Everyone take a deep breath, calm down and just enjoy the way the kid is playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad