Player Discussion Adam Fox

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
You were on Hockeybird's board right? Sad day when that forum shut down (Same with Rodent's). I also miss Rocha's sometimes inane report cards.

...and to keep it on topic. Adam Fox is like, you know....good.

Yeah, hockeybird was pretty great for awhile, then I think just kinda started losing people (including me). I even met a few people off of there once to get together and play some music
years and years and years ago...

Reactions: JCProdigy

Deleted member 23124

I will say that Fox is far better defensively than he projected to be coming up through the ranks. He's definitely put in a lot of work there.
Was that the message board on the MSG site?

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
did click...don't understand what any of that means. so still appreciate the TL/DR summary
What are you looking for exactly, his values relative to the rest of the team? In short: he's been absolutely incredible from a play-driving and defensive perspective:
He has the 9th best 5v5 CF%rel of any skater (50 min cutoff) in the entire league and is 3rd among dmen.

His xGF%rel is 8th in the entire league among skaters and 3rd among dmen. If you want to look at simply prevent xG against, he's the 2nd best relative skater in the entire league (Fast is first). Even if you want to look specifically at his results against elite competition (can be done on puckiq.com) he's still driving possession and goals for our team.

I knew he would be good in a year or so, but I definitely did not think he'd step in and have this sort of impact right away. These numbers will obviously stabilize and regress a bit, but his impacts have definitely been very, very impressive.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
What are you looking for exactly, his values relative to the rest of the team? In short: he's been absolutely incredible from a play-driving and defensive perspective:
He has the 9th best 5v5 CF%rel of any skater (50 min cutoff) in the entire league and is 3rd among dmen.

His xGF%rel is 8th in the entire league among skaters and 3rd among dmen. If you want to look at simply prevent xG against, he's the 2nd best relative skater in the entire league (Fast is first). Even if you want to look specifically at his results against elite competition (can be done on puckiq.com) he's still driving possession and goals for our team.

I knew he would be good in a year or so, but I definitely did not think he'd step in and have this sort of impact right away. These numbers will obviously stabilize and regress a bit, but his impacts have definitely been very, very impressive.

i'm not necessarily looking for anything specific I just legit have no clue what any of the fancy stats or pretty graphs mean lol

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
i'm not necessarily looking for anything specific I just legit have no clue what any of the fancy stats or pretty graphs mean lol
Here's a general glossary for what NST uses on their site: Natural Stat Trick - Glossary

Most of the stuff like "Scoring Chances" and the High/Medium/Low Danger variety of it (as well as goals) are pretty straight forward

The only one that trips people up most of the times when new to advanced stats are:
Corsi is a measurement any shot attempt (goals, shots on net, misses, and blocked shots) outside of the shootout.
Fenwick is Corsi, but not counting blocked shots.

They generally come out to be similar though.

PDO is another one, which is what some people use to calculate "luck" though I don't totally buy PDO completely as the be-all-end-all because it's different from player to player, team to team. But it's a nice general look at seeing if a team/player is on a SH% bender, or being backed up by massively good goaltending.

And then you have rates/percentages/relative to team measurements/etc. of most of these stats too. Relative stats are good for comparing within the team, as much as Machinehead might tell you otherwise.

The only thing that I don't think is in the glossary, and it's new to their website, is Expected Goals (xG), which is inherently calculated differently depending on who you're looking at (EvolvingHockey, MoneyPuck, etc.). And all that tells you is what the expected goals would be for a player/team within a rate/relative/percentage/etc. by combining a lot of stats in a big formula.

It's a lot, but once you sit down and think about it for a few minutes, it'll "click" ;)

People say Corsi and Fenwick are advanced stats, but you can easily do it on your couch at home with a notepad and pencil if you really wanted to, to get the most basic form of Corsi/Fenwick.

Reactions: Leetch3

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Here's a general glossary for what NST uses on their site: Natural Stat Trick - Glossary

Most of the stuff like "Scoring Chances" and the High/Medium/Low Danger variety of it (as well as goals) are pretty straight forward

The only one that trips people up most of the times when new to advanced stats are:
Corsi is a measurement any shot attempt (goals, shots on net, misses, and blocked shots) outside of the shootout.
Fenwick is Corsi, but not counting blocked shots.

They generally come out to be similar though.

PDO is another one, which is what some people use to calculate "luck" though I don't totally buy PDO completely as the be-all-end-all because it's different from player to player, team to team. But it's a nice general look at seeing if a team/player is on a SH% bender, or being backed up by massively good goaltending.

And then you have rates/percentages/relative to team measurements/etc. of most of these stats too. Relative stats are good for comparing within the team, as much as Machinehead might tell you otherwise.

The only thing that I don't think is in the glossary, and it's new to their website, is Expected Goals (xG), which is inherently calculated differently depending on who you're looking at (EvolvingHockey, MoneyPuck, etc.). And all that tells you is what the expected goals would be for a player/team within a rate/relative/percentage/etc. by combining a lot of stats in a big formula.

It's a lot, but once you sit down and think about it for a few minutes, it'll "click" ;)

People say Corsi and Fenwick are advanced stats, but you can easily do it on your couch at home with a notepad and pencil if you really wanted to, to get the most basic form of Corsi/Fenwick.

BRB becoming a stat nerd so I can feud with @Machinehead by telling him that all of our players suck but not for the reason he thinks they all suck

giphy.gif

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I wish I understood these heat maps better...but i'm pretty sure this is good

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
I'm sure all your fancy numbers and weather maps and transmogrifiers are really useful, but for those of us born before the Clinton administration, Adam Fox now has 5 points in his last 7 games. The scary thing about him? I think he could keep that pace up. If not now, then very, very soon.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Fox is really fantastic. I've been so impressed with his defensive play. I figured the ability to transport the puck and the offense would be fine, but the play in his own zone has been so good. Tremendous acquisition. Well worth giving up the picks to get him here this season.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Fox is really fantastic. I've been so impressed with his defensive play. I figured the ability to transport the puck and the offense would be fine, but the play in his own zone has been so good. Tremendous acquisition. Well worth giving up the picks to get him here this season.

Exactly this. Two 2nd round picks to acquire a player like Adam Fox is a bargain!

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Exactly this. Two 2nd round picks to acquire a player like Adam Fox is a bargain!
Yeah acquiring his rights was huge. I don't doubt we would have been able to sign him at the end of what would have been his college season, but the extra bit of certainty this provided plus the added year of NHL experience is huge. If we didn't grab him he'd likely be plowing his way through a college season where he wasn't really challenged instead of quickly acclimating to the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad