Player Discussion Adam Clendening

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Girardi is our worst defenseman in all three zones. He ranks 201 out of 211 NHL defensemen to play at least 200 even strength minutes in shot attempts yielded per 60 minutes. That is horrific. He is constantly pinned in his own zone. Clendening sometimes makes a bad mistake (Girardi does too btw), but he is excellent at driving the play to the other end of the ice.
Clendo makes a lot low-key nice defensive plays. Got back to disrupt Marner's breakaway, picks up the rebound and moves the puck the other way, Hayes + Miller off the rush = goal.
Marner just misses on a partial breakaway, and Blueshirts use crisp transition game immediately after to take two-goal lead.

But, he'll almost certainly go back to being the #7 when Staal comes back, and will be remembered for that Hyman goal (even though Hyman did the same exact thing to McDonagh while the Leafs were killing about 5 minutes earlier).

He has good positioning and doesn't need to rely on shot-blocking like Girardi and Klein. Interferes a lot and gets called for it, but I think he gets away with it more often, and that could become a skill in itself if he is really invested in. Clever offensive player. Great passer. He's only what, 24? He's a couple years older than Skjei, and there is still potential there at 24. I know he looks like he's 36. Oh yeah he's also been notching a point in half his games; passed Staal, tied Girardi, and is 2-4 behind Klein....in like 25 less games.

I'd also at least like to see him be tried with McDonagh. I can't imagine anyone on this team being a worse partner for McDonagh than Girardi. G's defense is essentially letting the other team enter the zone, and then trying to block the shot. Shot-blocking should be a last-ditch effort, not something you shape your play around. What if you miss the shot? If the shot deflects off of you and still goes on goal? If you block the shot but the other team recovers possession (and you'd likely taken yourself out of the play by committing to a block)? If the shooter knows you're just going for the block and passes it? Even if nothing like that goes wrong, you're still going to be in a difficult position to move the puck after making the block, so the puck is often just shot back in the other direction; the other team retrieves it, and you're right back where you started.

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Would love to see McD-Clendo pairing. Said it over a month ago that he should be given a shot.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Clendening is *alright* defensively. Has more hiccups than not. That aspect of his game actually wasn't good yesterday.

What he does well more often than not is zone exits, which our team desperately needs.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
Clendenning is a turnstile on defense. He is inarguably the Rangers worst defensive defenseman. Yes, he has some good offensive qualities, but in a playoff scenario, I don't see him as any more than a trustworthy 7th.

The best career case for him is to go to a team (i.e. Chicago) where the top 4 eat up 50 minutes a game, he gets some power play time and sheltered offensive zone starts.

actually it's Girardi and that's 10000000000x more inarguable.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
The term "defensive defenseman" is so backwards to me.

You know who most people think "defensive defenseman" are? Guys who you can remember spending a lot of time in their own zone. You know what that means? They suck at defense.

Time to start thinking about defensemen less like "defensemen" and more like midfielders.

I'm sorry but a guy who, over the past three seasons, gives up 63.41 shot attempts which is 9.29 more than his teammates against while he's on the ice per 60 minutes is definitively not a "defensive defenseman".

Last edited:

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
No it's not girardi got his contract because he was a shutdown D. Is he worse now yep but he still blocks shots etc and us waaaaay better than Clendening on D

Girardi is the worst defenseman in the league. Inarguably top 10 (worst), at least. There's no argument otherwise. He can't make plays or skate.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
truthfully, how they handle Clendening when Staal comes back will be a huge indicator of how much Gorton is controlling AV. In the past we know how AV has treated these guys, and even in McIlrath's case I could understand it because the guy wasn't putting up points. Clendening on the other hand is not only putting up points, but he's doing in some games on his offside with a variety of partners (he's already been paired with just about every RHD on this team).

Long and short, I have a feeling that we'll see something different this time. Clendening has more than proven himself. He has a much larger skillset than any of our RHD, and though he has his faults (Its like some people expected that we signed a RHD McDonagh for $600k), he's a massive upgrade to THIS roster.

We haven't seen Glass for this same reason, and Klein's slowly building that trade value back up to a 2nd rounder. Recoup what you can, develop the young guys

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

You know who most people think "defensive defenseman" are? Guys who you can remember spending a lot of time in their own zone. You know what that means? They suck at defense.

Time to start thinking about defensemen less like "defensemen" and more like midfielders.

I'm sorry but a guy who, over the past three seasons, gives up 63.41 shot attempts which is 9.29 more than his teammates against while he's on the ice per 60 minutes is definitively not a "defensive defenseman".

Those are offensive defensemen. As in it's offensive that they are still playing.

I'm here all week.

Jan 8, 2012
NY

Yeah, there's a world of difference between "defensive defensemen" like Girardi, Scuderi, Staal, and an actual defensive defenseman like Tanev, who will get the puck up the ice and won't put up points.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Clendening has been filling in really well, glad AV put him back on the right with Skjei. He'll make the occasional bad play here and there, like any other D, but he's keeping it simple and not forcing plays like Yandle used to. He's more than fine in his own zone, with a partner like Skjei. I have no idea what the Clendening moaners are watching.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Would love to see McD-Clendo pairing. Said it over a month ago that he should be given a shot.
I would like to see it at least tried. I think the biggest issue is that AV would have to scratch one of Girardi/Klein on a consistent basis.

How many times has AV even scratched Girardi? Four, five times? Obviously there was a few in that last abominable series versus Pittsburgh, and a game at the end of the 2014 regular season that AV said was to keep him fresh for the playoffs.

Klein has been scratched once that I remember, and it was this season for Clendening. IIRC the decision was made to add a RH shot to the powerplay with Mika out, and motivate Klein.

Last edited:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I would like to see it at least tried. I think the biggest issue is that AV would have to scratch one of Girardi/Klein on a consistent basis.

How many times has AV even scratched Girardi? Four, five times? Obviously there was a few in that last abominable series versus Pittsburgh, and a game at the end of the 2014 regular season that AV said was to keep him fresh for the playoffs.

Klein has been scratched once that I remember, and it was this season for Clendening. IIRC the decision was made to add a RH shot to the powerplay with Mika out, and motivate Klein.
I don't think he was healthy scratched in the series against Pittsburgh, was he?

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Totally random but anyone else find it odd that Clendening is 24 and looks like he's 35 while Vesey is 23 and looks like he's 15?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Clendening is *alright* defensively. Has more hiccups than not. That aspect of his game actually wasn't good yesterday.

What he does well more often than not is zone exits, which our team desperately needs.

What I like about him lately is he is showing some edge to his game. On our very soft team that is very very very nice to see.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I really like that he plays very aggressive on the defensive blueline, he doesn't give upp free entries much. Sometimes it backfires and they fly past him, but i really like that he holds the blueline. Our D in general back off so much on the blueline that i could gain an entry there... and i have a busted up knee and haven't been on skates in 10 years.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
man maybe if we had one more decent RHD a MCD-competent RHD, Staal-holden , SKjei -CLendo wouldn't be horrible. Klein just has seemed to regress so much this year (slower and offensive abilities disappeared).

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Again, if the top 4 had two legitimate RHDs to pair with McDonagh and Holden respectively, a lot of people would be thrilled developing a young pairing like Skjei and Clendening on the 3rd pairing.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Sure, the problem is that Skjei looks more like John Moore than Ryan McDonagh, and Clendening is looking more like Thomas Pock than Keith Yandle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad