Player Discussion Adam Clendening

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
And he's not playing and will stop playing once Staal comes back lmao

Yeah he has no shot at staying in this lineup, none.

Which sucks. For as "meh" as he looks sometimes I actually don't think its possible for him to be any worse than whatever the hell we are trotting out there right now. At least he can move the puck with some kind of efficiency.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Not for nothing he made a ton of bad defensive plays last night. A ton.

Like his offense and his ability to move the puck though. He should be playing over one of Girardi or Klein but he has been far from great in his own zone
I agree, he had some less than efficient touches last night.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
We've graduated from

"Clendening should get a few games"

to

"Clendening may be the best right handed D on the team"

Which is both funny and horrifying.
"He is a borderline NHL calibre defenseman."

"He is the best right-handed defenseman on the Rangers."

Which is the higher compliment?

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
A ton huh?

He was shot on less than any NYR D last night.

I like Clendening, but he was out of position a lot last night.

That said, so are most if not all of our defensemen in this ridiculous system. These guys don't have the skillset to play AV's system and to make it worse, our forwards aren't aware enough without the puck to pick up the coverage either.

I was taught to play a zone defense and it's so much easier. Man to man requires a lot of awareness and communication.

In our system, guys end up in no man's land chasing guys, but not really covering anyone. We often have two guys chasing a player and leaving another one wide open, often right in front of the crease. The forwards don't pick up their assignment. They're always a step or ten from going to the open player. It's sickening.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
You know there is more a defenseman can do wrong than let up a lot of shot attempts, right?

Everything is not about shot attempts.

Obviously

I'm just wondering why a million defensive mistakes translated to relatively less shots.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I like Clendening, but he was out of position a lot last night.

That said, so are most if not all of our defensemen in this ridiculous system. These guys don't have the skillset to play AV's system and to make it worse, our forwards aren't aware enough without the puck to pick up the coverage either.

I was taught to play a zone defense and it's so much easier. Man to man requires a lot of awareness and communication.

In our system, guys end up in no man's land chasing guys, but not really covering anyone. We often have two guys chasing a player and leaving another one wide open, often right in front of the crease. The forwards don't pick up their assignment. They're always a step or ten from going to the open player. It's sickening.
They are out of position on most nights. Your view of what is going on is spot on. And sickening is the right way to phrase it. Either AV cannot recognize what is going on the ice or his arrogance is getting in the way. Maybe both.

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
4 points in 5 games since Staal went down. He doesn't look like he should come out soon.

I wish him and Girardi could both come out like yesterday. Clendening is exhibiting his exact NHL career-long issue: he has a nice offensive toolbox, but he has absolutely no idea how to play D.... like he has zero idea whatsoever in his own end. In my 4 plus decades of watching the NHL, he is one of the fundamentally weakest and most lost NHL defenseman I've ever seen.

Girardi should be put down and Clendening should be in the AHL learning the position, because he has no idea what he's doing in his own end.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
If Clendening is bad in his own zone, than all of Girardi, Staal, Klein, and Holden wouldn't even make a high school team.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Clendening had a good game, sucks to see him make such a bad turnover because otherwise he was very good. Skjei had a good bounce back game from his rough Dallas performance. I even thought Girardi was okay tonight too.

Skjei-Clendenning should be the 3rd pair.
The in-game color and post-game analysis was borderline embarrassing at times. He's the ugly duckling on this defense.

If Girardi made that play on the 3rd Rangers goal Joe would have published a novel about it.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The in-game color and post-game analysis was borderline embarrassing at times. He's the ugly duckling on this defense.

If Girardi made that play on the 3rd Rangers goal Joe would have published a novel about it.

"I Think This Hits a Stick on the Way In" by Joe Micheletti

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Yeah he's done. They were ashamed to even say his name in the post-game even though McDonagh did the same ****ing thing a few minutes prior.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Complete double standards indeed. Clendening deserves to be in this lineup. F***** AV and his mind boggling decisions.
Two things:

1) I'd love to be wrong (usually I am).
2) I don't think Clendening is even that great, I'm just so tired of defenders who hate the puck.
3) Clendening at the moment is one tree in AV's forest of ********. Remember Glass/Stempniak?

If we signed Stralman post-AV, I have doubts that his career would have reached the heights it did.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
If we signed Stralman post-AV, I have doubts that his career would have reached the heights it did.

LOL, ironic thing is that I had been thinking about Stralman lately, and wondered that if he was here post-AV, he probably wouldn't be the Stralman we know.

And I'm not saying Clendo is the next Stralman, but he's looked okay in the time he's been in the lineup, and put up points.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
LOL, ironic thing is that I had been thinking about Stralman lately, and wondered that if he was here post-AV, he probably wouldn't be the Stralman we know.

And I'm not saying Clendo is the next Stralman, but he's looked okay in the time he's been in the lineup, and put up points.
It just irks me. I would love to be wrong about it. Am I biased towards this player? Absolutely. 1000%. My issue isn't just Clendening, it's how AV's player usage consistently contradicts what his hockey teams are supposed to be about.

Nonetheless, Adam Clendening has higher offensive IQ/skill than most of our defensemen. I don't think anyone would really dispute that. He should be in the lineup just for that.

NoQuitInNewMexico

it's okay cause it's all just the way it should be
Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I saw they put a puff piece about him on the team Twitter the other day.

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/clendening-finding-rhythm-with-rangers/c-285954776

I'm not seeing a conspiracy with AV, the org etc. - I think they're overly loyal to Girardi for a number of reasons: "the room," supposed chemistry with McD, letting the guy down gently so they might be able to get out of the contract. That loyalty and that need to find a place for him effects absolutely everybody. Maybe we have a nice coaching farm for him somewhere.

AV's had weird things going on with all of our puckmovers, though - MDZ was jettisoned out, Yandle and Boyle always seemed like weird misplaced parts here. I think Clendo's Rangers tenure as a 6-7 reclamation project D has made a lot more "sense" than Keith Yandle's.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
Clendening has never been given a shot in his career. He has played on what 4 or 5 teams and never played more than 20 something games in a full season? How could he even be expected to adapt to the NHL level like that?

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Clendenning is a turnstile on defense. He is inarguably the Rangers worst defensive defenseman. Yes, he has some good offensive qualities, but in a playoff scenario, I don't see him as any more than a trustworthy 7th.

The best career case for him is to go to a team (i.e. Chicago) where the top 4 eat up 50 minutes a game, he gets some power play time and sheltered offensive zone starts.

Last edited:

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Clendenning is a turnstile on defense. He is inarguably the Rangers worst defensive defenseman. Yes, he has some good offensive qualities, but in a playoff scenario, I don't trust him as any more than a trustworthy 7th.

The best career case for him is to go to a team (i.e. Chicago) where the top 4 eat up 50 minutes a game, he gets some power play time and sheltered offensive zone starts.

Girardi is our worst defenseman in all three zones. He ranks 201 out of 211 NHL defensemen to play at least 200 even strength minutes in shot attempts yielded per 60 minutes. That is horrific. He is constantly pinned in his own zone. Clendening sometimes makes a bad mistake (Girardi does too btw), but he is excellent at driving the play to the other end of the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad