Player Discussion Adam Clendening

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Good for Clendening, i'm in the crowd believing he should be playing more, hopefully a game like this lets AV see this kids upside.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary
Good for Clendening, i'm in the crowd believing he should be playing more, hopefully a game like this lets AV see this kids upside.

I've never really had a strong opinion on him. Never saw him enough in a long enough stretch to form one. I too think he should be getting more games and ice time. Do it now, this is the time in the season to do that.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
I think Clendening gets banished back to the press box upon the return from the bye week. AV wasn't too keen on talking about Adam's game last night in his post game presser. John Giannone asked AV if it felt good to see a kid like Adam, who works so hard, to get rewarded with a two goal night. AV pretty much side stepped it.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Wait what is the excuse for AV not playing this guy over Girardi and Klein?

At least Klein has fallen off in the last 3 months. Girardi fell off two years ago and is still playing. Girardi needs to sit and he needs to be bought out. Remember early in the season when he was benched and how well we started to play? Then he came back and was still terrible but our offense was rolling so it masked some of these fools to the naked eye. There is no reason why a young player like Clendening is not playing. Even if he is mediocre defensively that is still infinitely better than Girardi.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I think Clendening gets banished back to the press box upon the return from the bye week. AV wasn't too keen on talking about Adam's game last night in his post game presser. John Giannone asked AV if it felt good to see a kid like Adam, who works so hard, to get rewarded with a two goal night. AV pretty much side stepped it.

This is not true at all.

Jesus, every false report is truth on the internet these days......

Giannone: Do you have a soft spot in your heart when a guy like Adam Clendening with everything he does away from the scene scores 2 in a game like this?

AV: There's no doubt, happy for him but more happy for the team tonight. You know we got an outstanding performance from Grabs tonight who used his speed no just offensively but defensively....

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
This is not true at all.

Jesus, every false report is truth on the internet these days......

Giannone: Do you have a soft spot in your heart when a guy like Adam Clendening with everything he does away from the scene scores 2 in a game like this?

AV: There's no doubt, happy for him but more happy for the team tonight. You know we got an outstanding performance from Grabs tonight who used his speed no just offensively but defensively....

IMO, that's side-stepping. He could have congratulated Clendo and said a few good things about his play...but AV elected to follow up immediately with "BUT" I'm happier for the team...and then derailed into a compliment on Grabs. There were a multitude of ways AV could have handled the question. I think the way he ultimately handled it shows that he is not interested in Clendo as a player.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
IMO, that's side-stepping. He could have congratulated Clendo and said a few good things about his play...but AV elected to follow up immediately with "BUT" I'm happier for the team...and then derailed into a compliment on Grabs. There were a multitude of ways AV could have handled the question. I think the way he ultimately handled it shows that he is not interested in Clendo as a player.

Exactly.

People are arguing that he gave him credit, but look at "how" he gave him credit. He barely acknowledged him, then went straight into talking about the team and Grabs.

Some people have to learn to read between the lines. It's obvious that AV doesn't care for Clendo as a player. Why? Who knows (some of AV's decisions in his tenure here have just been mind boggling).

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Exactly.

People are arguing that he gave him credit, but look at "how" he gave him credit. He barely acknowledged him, then went straight into talking about the team and Grabs.

Some people have to learn to read between the lines. It's obvious that AV doesn't care for Clendo as a player. Why? Who knows (some of AV's decisions in his tenure here have just been mind boggling).

And some people read too much into the tea leaves.

With AV's MO during his tenure here, I'd have been more surprised to see him heap praise onto Clendening than the opposite. The guy is a young player and AV employs a lot of tough love in the media when it comes to young players. We don't know at all what he says to them in private.

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
I've never really had a strong opinion on him. Never saw him enough in a long enough stretch to form one. I too think he should be getting more games and ice time. Do it now, this is the time in the season to do that.

I don't have a strong opinion of Clendening because I have seen him play quite a bit prior to this season. But my opinion at the moment is that he is a better option than Girardi. I felt that way a lot about Klein, as well, at points this season.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
That's kind of a hilarious response to that question, IMO.

"Yes, the organization has generally positive feelings when he performs well, but it's about the team. How 'bout Grabner, though?"

Whatever, I don't think the issue is so much that he doesn't like Clendening enough, it's that he likes Girardi and Klein too much. There are certainly teams in the league where Clendening shouldn't be a regular in the lineup. AV doesn't happen to coach one of those teams, however.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

"Yes, the organization has generally positive feelings when he performs well, but it's about the team. How 'bout Grabner, though?"

Whatever, I don't think the issue is so much that he doesn't like Clendening enough, it's that he likes Girardi and Klein too much. There are certainly teams in the league where Clendening shouldn't be a regular in the lineup. AV doesn't happen to coach one of those teams, however.

precisely stated

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Your posts recently have been oddly devoid of sarcasm.

Are you okay?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I think one thing that does not get enough attention re: the Girardi issue is the politics around it.

Sather is still the president of this organization. He is still Gorton's boss and AV's boss' boss. He's the guy that gave Girardi that contract. The Rangers are invested in a lemon.

Here on a message board, we can scream until we are blue in the face around "icing the best lineup," but theres more to it in the real world, especially when theres a lot of cash invested in a player.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I think one thing that does not get enough attention re: the Girardi issue is the politics around it.

Sather is still the president of this organization. He is still Gorton's boss and AV's boss' boss. He's the guy that gave Girardi that contract. The Rangers are invested in a lemon.

Here on a message board, we can scream until we are blue in the face around "icing the best lineup," but theres more to it in the real world, especially when theres a lot of cash invested in a player.

Ah, he isn't. Gorton is GM, and he has final say.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

There's nothing about Sather's tenure with the Rangers that makes me think he doesn't grasp the concept of a sunk cost.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
There's nothing about Sather's tenure with the Rangers that makes me think he doesn't grasp the concept of a sunk cost.

Yet it always took a while to admit and even then they were other factors, like how are we going to sign this new UFA or re-sign this already on the team RFA/UFA under the cap unless we buyout or demote this guy.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
At today's presser, a reporter asked AV about Clendo and his performance last game. He did compliment him on a good 3rd period...but kept going back to saying that the Rangers played well as a group. His bias against Clendo wasn't as obvious this time, but by continuing to go back to "group" comments...I think it paints a picture of Clendo not being in any long term plans...unless of course injuries continue to happen. AV just isn't a Clendo guy...

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
At today's presser, a reporter asked AV about Clendo and his performance last game. He did compliment him on a good 3rd period...but kept going back to saying that the Rangers played well as a group. His bias against Clendo wasn't as obvious this time, but by continuing to go back to "group" comments...I think it paints a picture of Clendo not being in any long term plans...unless of course injuries continue to happen. AV just isn't a Clendo guy...

Clendening, who is on his 5th NHL team in 3 years, and was sent down by 3 of those 5, is not as good as people think.

AV also wasn't a McIlrath guy. I guess it's also AVs fault he is not playing in Florida.

He had a good game, nothing more. He will have a chance to show what he can do with Staal out (Concussion). He has to earn his spot in the line-up.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Clendening, who is on his 5th NHL team in 3 years, and was sent down by 3 of those 5, is not as good as people think.

AV also wasn't a McIlrath guy. I guess it's also AVs fault he is not playing in Florida.

He had a good game, nothing more. He will have a chance to show what he can do with Staal out (Concussion). He has to earn his spot in the line-up.

Please don't attempt to put words into my mouth (it seems like that's what you're trying to do?).

I don't think Clendo is a godsend. I think his role as a #7 that comes in when injuries occur is probably appropriate. I just feel a bit bad for the way the guy is treated.

Regarding MciLrath, I never thought he was anything to write home about, either. I was one of the few guys commenting on the poor pre-season he had.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Please don't attempt to put words into my mouth (it seems like that's what you're trying to do?).

I don't think Clendo is a godsend. I think his role as a #7 that comes in when injuries occur is probably appropriate. I just feel a bit bad for the way the guy is treated.

Regarding MciLrath, I never thought he was anything to write home about, either. I was one of the few guys commenting on the poor pre-season he had.

AV said he played a good game. What more should he say? This is just nitpicking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad