Player Discussion Adam Clendening

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Even if this was true, so?

It was just an observation. Thing is, he had a mediocre game overall and took a penalty at a bad time. When you throw in having a miserable shift at an important moment, there's no reason to keep him in the lineup another game.

Nothing I'm saying absolves anyone else on the team. They were all bad last night. But no one else is in a precarious situation, so this is just about him.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
It was just an observation. Thing is, he had a mediocre game overall and took a penalty at a bad time. When you throw in having a miserable shift at an important moment, there's no reason to keep him in the lineup another game.

Nothing I'm saying absolves anyone else on the team. They were all bad last night. But no one else is in a precarious situation, so this is just about him.

His game was "meh" I agree, but he was never going to look above average when he hasn't played since early November. It's not fair to let him in one game, he doesn't dominate, and then use that as rationale to scratch him again. it's ridiculous. Keeping that in mind, and the entire team looking like absolute garbage last game, I find it hard to make any judgment other than "try it again" re: Clendening. I know it's never going to happen and this was just punishment for Klein not playing well, but I can dream I guess.

Penalty call was absolute BS and shouldn't even be a factor.

The team had one big miserable shift the entire game, I know you're saying he's in such a situation so it has to be taken into account, but it just reeks of having no interest in properly utilizing Clendo. Which, clearly this team doesn't want to do.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Certain posters have a really, really hard time understanding this.

You'd think that concept would be obvious and universal.

It's not.

I'm shocked as well that it's such a hard concept to grasp.

Another thing that factors is in that Clendening hadn't played for what, almost a month? It's not too easy to come in like that and play really well, especially when your team is mostly playing like garbage.

Again, not saying he was good, he was mediocre, but just a thought in that regard.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The not playing in a while excuse only works when a player is hurt. Otherwise, it's pure BS.

He practices every day with the team. If anything, the adrenaline of getting into the lineup should make him better than his norm, not worse.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
The not playing in a while excuse only works when a player is hurt. Otherwise, it's pure BS.

He practices every day with the team. If anything, the adrenaline of getting into the lineup should make him better than his norm, not worse.

How you can equate practicing with the team to an NHL game is truly beyond me.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
You literally just said the "not playing in a while" excuse is BS and then proceeded to say "he practices with the team".

The reason players have a curve when coming back from injury is because they haven't played at all, even in practice. Practice should be enough to keep the rust off.

Clendenings problem was that he played a disengaged and soft game. (The opposite of soft in this context is hard, not tough. Unphysical players can still play a hard game.). This has nothing to do with sitting for a long stretch.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
The reason players have a curve when coming back from injury is because they haven't played at all, even in practice. Practice should be enough to keep the rust off.

Clendenings problem was that he played a disengaged and soft game. (The opposite of soft in this context is hard, not tough. Unphysical players can still play a hard game.). This has nothing to do with sitting for a long stretch.

It looked more like he was nervous about making a mistake that would get him benched for the rest of the season. I would say that has everything to do with him sitting for a long stretch.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Clendening looked to me like a guy who's been sitting for a month. He was nervous, somewhat tentative and on top of everything else, he got tagged with a make up penalty.

The solution is to play him another game and then another game. And after 3-5 games if the situation is not improving, waive him out of the league and get another reliable defenseman. One game is not an appropriate audition.

And it probably didn't help that Skeji played a real middling game too. Perhaps he was trying to overcompensate for his partner. He's a rookie too. Might want to pair Clendening with Staal for a game.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Clendening looked to me like a guy who's been sitting for a month. He was nervous, somewhat tentative and on top of everything else, he got tagged with a make up penalty.

The solution is to play him another game and then another game. And after 3-5 games if the situation is not improving, waive him out of the league and get another reliable defenseman. One game is not an appropriate audition.

And it probably didn't help that Skeji played a real middling game too. Perhaps he was trying to overcompensate for his partner. He's a rookie too. Might want to pair Clendening with Staal for a game.

Yeah. I would have to agree with this.

The idea that practicing keeps your "legs" ready to play has some merit when it comes to conditioning. But it ignores the mental aspect of the game which tends to be as big of an issue as the physical aspect in regards to returning from the press box.

And those usual issues of catching up to the speed of the game and finding a rhythm with your teammates are, at least in this case, compounded by the very real threat of not playing again if a mistake gets made.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

We have a bantam player playing the same position. That might be a reason.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Clendening's grandmother is better than Girardi at this point

Waiting on that bounce-back season like...

KdP8J71.png

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
What's the harm in giving Clendening more than ONE GAME a month. Give him a ****ing shot, we know exactly what we're going to get with Girardi and Klein: ****. Hopefully if given a chance he could become a #4 (hell he doesn't even need to be that to be better than what we have), no one is asking/expecting him to be a Norris finalist. If for no other reason than to put Holden back with McDonagh and while giving Staal a partner who can pass decently, which is what he's needed for 3+ seasons.

Clendening has not been better than Holden. People like Clendening, because of his style of play. He is a guy who moves the puck well, but aside from that he is a huge liability in the D-zone. I was never a fan of Holden and did not understand why we traded for him, but he has had a pretty good season so far
A defensively deficient puck-mover is STILL better than the options we currently have. Anton Stralman went from a defenseman even garbage teams didn't want to a top-20 defenseman in the NHL. Clendening does not have to be anything close to that.

Clendening has looked good on the PP. He's looked like a decent partner for Staal. Very very small sample size but our right side is so atrocious why not try it. If he can handle that, it allows Holden to go back to McDonagh's side, which is sadly a big improvement. Also puts Girardi in a reduced role, which again, is a big improvement.

Last edited:

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
What's the harm in giving Clendening more than ONE GAME a month. Give him a ****ing shot, we know exactly what we're going to get with Girardi and Klein: ****. Hopefully if given a chance he could become a #4 (hell he doesn't even need to be that to be better than what we have), no one is asking/expecting him to be a Norris finalist. If for no other reason than to put Holden back with McDonagh and while giving Staal a partner who can pass decently, which is what he's needed for 3+ seasons.

A defensively deficient puck-mover is STILL better than the options we currently have.

The unfortunate reality is that he has to play like a Norris winner in order to even contend for a spot more than once a month. His presence is merely a temporary "threat" if the vets don't play up to snuff (plot twist: it's not actually a threat at all). I honestly don't see the point in carrying extra defensemen when AV just flat out refuses to use them like he says he will (ie. to rest vets), and will use injured vets over healthy, less experienced players.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
A defensively deficient puck-mover is STILL better than the options we currently have. Anton Stralman went from a defenseman even garbage teams didn't want to a top-20 defenseman in the NHL. Clendening does not have to be anything close to that.

I will agree that he has been better than Klein and Girardi, but to say he is better than Holden so far this season is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad