Player Discussion Adam Clendening

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Despite his hiccups I think he has been a net positive. I hope he keeps playing once Staal comes back. I think this could be a very important decision for AV.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Again, if the top 4 had two legitimate RHDs to pair with McDonagh and Holden respectively, a lot of people would be thrilled developing a young pairing like Skjei and Clendening on the 3rd pairing.

This is similar to the stuff about how "if only the Rangers had a legitimate #1 center."

...if only the Rangers had 2 legitimate RHD's?

You're talking about arguably the 2 most difficult positions to fill on a roster.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
This is similar to the stuff about how "if only the Rangers had a legitimate #1 center."

...if only the Rangers had 2 legitimate RHD's?

You're talking about arguably the 2 most difficult positions to fill on a roster.
I'm still waiting on that papal decree declaring Stepan's legitimacy.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
his biggest problem is his decision making in the defensive zone, he really loves the pass from the wall to the center in his own zone

i dont think hes terrible in the d zone but he has some learning to do there

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
It's a risk but he's successful w it.

it always comes across risky to me, last night he tried to make that play and it went horribly wrong. does it look great when you do it? absolutely. But it seems he also does it when his head is down and hes blindly throwing it to center ice. Its a smart play if it works but it is asking for it to be a turnover

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
already know it's going to happen but it'll really suck when he's taken our for Staal.

Kovy274Hart

Jul 9, 2004
Shaolin
www.battleofny.com
I think what you see from Clendening is what he is. If they played him more, he'd be exposed against better match-ups. Keep his zone starts to mostly the offensive zone. Use him on the power play and in situations where you need a goal with a strong line like we saw on the game-tying goal. He's never been through it before.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I think what you see from Clendening is what he is. If they played him more, he'd be exposed against better match-ups. Keep his zone starts to mostly the offensive zone. Use him on the power play and in situations where you need a goal with a strong line like we saw on the game-tying goal. He's never been through it before.

Or, if you play Clendening more in steady situations and allow him to get in a good rhythm, he can play a more composed and fluid game and even develop a little more

He's still 24.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Did you guys miss the two plays last night where he completely blew coverage? One led to a breakaway chance.

I like Clendo and have argued for his use all year, but I feel like there is some motivates reasoning going on when some fans watch his game. He is worse than Yandle in the defensive zone.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Did you guys miss the two plays last night where he completely blew coverage? One led to a breakaway chance.

I like Clendo and have argued for his use all year, but I feel like there is some motivates reasoning going on when some fans watch his game. He is worse than Yandle in the defensive zone.

I don't think anyone missed those plays, but during a game every dman on the ice makes a few bad reads or plays that results in good chances or extended D zone time. Some look worse then others, some bad but innocent bad plays result in goals against and those are never talked about. Let's not forget Skjei gave him a terrible pass and he was either caught flatfooted or made desperation poke check he missed. The bigger question is how much are bad plays by him a result of mostly sitting then getting thrown into action? At the end of the day he's rarely on the ice for a goal against, he also has two huge late game tying goals/ plays in limited action. He's 24, barely played 20 games, I would think consistent playing time would let him iron out timing issues and only reduce bad reads. I also believe talk that he's terrible defensively are hugely overstated, he's not bad defensively and all stats support that. He should be playing in the top 6 more regularly, Klein has been way worse defensively all season.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York

He's also almost 6 years younger than Yandle and makes 10x less (same with G and Staal.) His age and contract are why a lot of people are willing to stay positive regarding him rather than dwell on a couple of bad mistakes. With Girardi and Staal and their bloated contracts, the good will is gone. So it goes in a salary cap league.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
He's also almost 6 years younger than Yandle and makes 10x less (same with G and Staal.) His age and contract are why a lot of people are willing to stay positive regarding him rather than dwell on a couple of bad mistakes. With Girardi and Staal and their bloated contracts, the good will is gone. So it goes in a salary cap league.

Girardi and Staal are also more of a hazard on the ice and do none of the positive things Clendo can.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I'm more than willing to live with the "bad defensively" that Clendening is. Because while he's not Scott Stevens in his own zone, way more often than not, he's in the offensive zone.

Besides the fact that whatever bad defensively Clendening is is completely overshadowed by the garbage that play above him with no threat of repercussions.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Hey, remember last season when the Rangers had a D pairing playing well, only to break them up because 'it was the right thing to do'. I'm going to wager AV doesn't.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
5 on 5 last two nights, 41:16 Corsi, AV is probably confused seeing a d-man be in the offensive zone that much.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Hey, remember last season when the Rangers had a D pairing playing well, only to break them up because 'it was the right thing to do'. I'm going to wager AV doesn't.

This is worse. This is two players that are young and are tailor made for "AV's system". At least the thing where McI's skating isn't very good wasn't unfounded. And it was basically the end of Yandle's NYR career.

5 on 5 last two nights, 41:16 Corsi, AV is probably confused seeing a d-man be in the offensive zone that much.

AV probably thinks he's bad defensively cause he isn't playing D much. Only thing I can take from his god awful evaluation of d-men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad