Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXXIV -- The Doggiest Days (Woof!) 2017

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I dunno Kuznetsov seems to know he and Ovie have good chemistry while the head coach doesn't. Not that that is super insightful either but it's beyond cliche IMO.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
He specifically mentioned that they have instant chemistry when paired together. Which isn't so much of a platitude as it is a statistical fact.

The same can't be said for 8-19 or 8-20 (and definitely not 8-83).

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Show me you can maintain your game over a full season and playoffs. In 10 years, has any regular linemate struggled to produce with Ovy for and extended period of time?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The Greats have this and don't get by on talent alone.

Evgeni Malkin: Crosby is a workaholic who I guess thinks only about hockey from dusk till dawn.He’s one of the most hardworking players ever

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Show me you can maintain your game over a full season and playoffs. In 10 years, has any regular linemate struggled to produce with Ovy for and extended period of time?

Sure, he's had his issues with consistency. Pretty much every forward aside from Backstrom had some level of inconsistency last season.

But Backstrom and Ovechkin have been better apart than they have been together over the past two seasons while Kuznetsov and Ovechkin have been better together than apart. Seems natural to give 8-92 a more extended shot this season since 8-19 isn't really working any more at even strength.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I saw a lack of ES production many years ago. Trying to discuss it faced a lot of push back. Notably, but they have great chemistry together. . It's nice to not hear that as much now.

Since its a dog day, let's rumble. Is Ovi an elite passer? Elite meaning whatever you want. I say no. He can fire off an occasional great pass, but so could I back in my illustrious roller career.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Sure, he's had his issues with consistency. Pretty much every forward aside from Backstrom had some level of inconsistency last season.

But Backstrom and Ovechkin have been better apart than they have been together over the past two seasons while Kuznetsov and Ovechkin have been better together than apart. Seems natural to give 8-92 a more extended shot this season since 8-19 isn't really working any more at even strength.

Any of them make near $8 mil per? This is a no excuses season for 92...

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
OV, Kuznetsov and (player X). OV and Kuznetsov have chemistry so the right wing can be anyone, a young guy getting a chance like Kuzy mentions, preferably someone who will go into the corners to get the puck.

Burakovsky, Backstrom and Oshie on their own line. Oshie/Backstrom have chemistry. Oshie had his best year last year with Backstrom.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I saw a lack of ES production many years ago. Trying to discuss it faced a lot of push back. Notably, but they have great chemistry together. . It's nice to not hear that as much now.

Since its a dog day, let's rumble. Is Ovi an elite passer? Elite meaning whatever you want. I say no. He can fire off an occasional great pass, but so could I back in my illustrious roller career.

No he's not. He had a 21 assist season in 2016. He's an underrated passer in the sense that people think he never passes the puck, but he's not elite at all.

The one making $9.5M was excused for his inconsistencies and poor play at times. I don't see why the $7.8M guy wouldn't get the benefit of the doubt too.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

I agree with this. But I'd also argue that it's still up to the coach to put the team and its players in the best position to succeed and Kuznetsov and Ovechkin have both been better together than apart while Backstrom and Ovechkin are better apart than together:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=127599997&postcount=383

Just because Kuznetsov is making a lot of money now doesn't mean he shouldn't play with Ovechkin. I feel like Trotz has always looked for a reason to split the two, probably because neither is very good defensively, despite the fact that they have dominated the puck and goal-scoring when together. Why try to fit a square peg into a round hole (8 + 19) when there is a clear chemistry that Kuznetsov was referring to? Give Backstrom the tougher defensive matchups and let 8 and 92 try and run wild.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The one making 9.5mil is a generational talent. The one making 7.8 isn't.

Being a generational talent excuses someone from poor play and inconsistencies? Seems to me that it should be the other way around. Being a less talented player means you'll be more inconsistent and will have longer stretches of poor play.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Being a generational talent excuses someone from poor play and inconsistencies? Seems to me that it should be the other way around. Being a less talented player means you'll be more inconsistent and will have longer stretches of poor play.

Better get used to it.....one is in his prime, one is in his 30's. VERY good chance Ovy doesn't live up to his salary the next 4 years due to age.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Better get used to it.....one is in his prime, one is in his 30's. VERY good chance Ovy doesn't live up to his salary the next 4 years due to age.

He isn't living up to it right now. There's a very good chance that neither Ovi nor Kuzy live up to their salaries. The only player who is worth more than his salary is Backstrom.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I agree on Ovy, but he's only a season removed from leading the league in goals. Kuzy already sunk this team once in the playoffs. The pressure is on. Ovy has many seasons of exceeding expectations.....Kuzy has only disappointments.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I agree on Ovy, but he's only a season removed from leading the league in goals. Kuzy already sunk this team once in the playoffs. The pressure is on. Ovy has many seasons of exceeding expectations.....Kuzy has only disappointments.

???

Kuzy's line was the best line on the team this postseason and individually he had 7 points in 6 games against the Penguins in the second round. He had one disappointing postseason (influenced heavily by some poor puck luck), 2 very good postseasons, and a couple of solid to spectacular regular seasons all on a cheap salary.

Yes expectations should be higher now but characterizing Kuzy's career so far as nothing but disappointments is just false.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Kuzy has a lot to prove, there's no denying that. I fear people will point the finger at him when we lose again, despite the fact that our roster has no more than an outside shot at the Cup now. He's not all disappointment either. Had a great regular season in 2016 and he was great in the playoffs in 2017.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
???

Kuzy's line was the best line on the team this postseason and individually he had 7 points in 6 games against the Penguins in the second round. He had one disappointing postseason (influenced heavily by some poor puck luck), 2 very good postseasons, and a couple of solid to spectacular regular seasons all on a cheap salary.

Yes expectations should be higher now but characterizing Kuzy's career so far as nothing but disappointments is just false.

I take it back, 14-15 he was getting his feet wet. Everything since has been a disappointment in one way or another. Tanked 2/3 of the way through 15-16 and no-showed in the most critical part of the year. Carried that over into into 16-17 and again put up a decent 2/3 of a season with a solid playoffs.

I'm just waiting on the guy to put in a full seasons effort where he doesn't disappoint.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Kuzy has a lot to prove, there's no denying that. I fear people will point the finger at him when we lose again, despite the fact that our roster has no more than an outside shot at the Cup now. He's not all disappointment either. Had a great regular season in 2016 and he was great in the playoffs in 2017.

He's the 2nd highest paid player.,..he deserves the finger pointed at him until he proves otherwise. All he has to produce for a full year and it will be a first.

My expectations of him are highest of any player moving forward. I'd bet the a Caps just paid him what they did based upon similar expectations.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
He's the 2nd highest paid player.,..he deserves the finger pointed at him until he proves otherwise. All he has to produce for a full year and it will be a first.

My expectations of him are highest of any player moving forward. I'd bet the a Caps just paid him what they did based upon similar expectations.

Fair enough. I have faith in his abilities, and I'm sure he's going to give us at least one year in which he plays like a $8M center.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

The long cold streak is as much a part of Kuzy's game as the twister pass. Meanwhile Backstrom is the most consistant and reliable forward on the team. I don't mind seeing Ov with Kuznetsov but I don't think its a decision of a blind man coach to put him with Backstrom.

Its also true that Kuzy game uses up 2nd tier defensive players much better than 1st tier players. When he is playing with Ov he gets the opposing shutdown d pair who are good enough to take his game away from him. Most 2nd pairs are not good enough to do that.

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Its also true that Kuzy game uses up 2nd tier defensive players much better than 1st tier players. When he is playing with Ov he gets the opposing shutdown d pair who are good enough to take his game away from him. Most 2nd pairs are not good enough to do that.

Citation is needed for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad