Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXXIV -- The Doggiest Days (Woof!) 2017

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don't expect us to become as bad as the current Canucks but you would be surprised at how easy it is to be a mediocre team in the NHL. Some teams have been stuck in mediocrity for a long time. Look at the Bruins since 2014. They weren't good enough to make the playoffs but they didn't suck enough to tank. Finishing 9th is the worst thing that can happen in the NHL.

I would not be surprised. I've been watching the NHL for several decades. I've seen teams rise and fall many times over. I don't think Ted is going to settle for a team that at least isn't in the playoffs. Other franchises might sell a different bill of goods but at least Ted sells tickets with a chance of winning. I think he's learned that lesson and is more conscientious about having at least a competent front office that can keep fans interested while icing a competitive team. Whether or not they can win a Cup is a different story...

I doubt if you asked Bondra and Kolzig if their careers were wasted they would agree. Bondra practically begged to not be traded. Kuzy is the star that should take them into the next era. They'll certainly take some steps back after 19 and 8 are gone, but my concerns about their drafting is pretty low. I could see a few years of missing the playoffs to reap a few high draft picks.

I think there's a one-year window for this, if any. Maybe if there's another massively hyped generational talent you'll see the Caps covertly tank again for a season and then reload. But that's only as a last resort.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I doubt if you asked Bondra and Kolzig if their careers were wasted they would agree. Bondra practically begged to not be traded. Kuzy is the star that should take them into the next era. They'll certainly take some steps back after 19 and 8 are gone, but my concerns about their drafting is pretty low. I could see a few years of missing the playoffs to reap a few high draft picks.

Wasted? No. Not close. Disappointed that they didn't win a cup as most players that don't win do, but they had a better chance than most and got as far as the finals. Bondra LOVED living in Annapolis and sure as hell didn't want to be traded. I believe that he still lives in that Annapolis home.

I think the only thing Kolzig was disappointed by was that his game ran out of steam when it did. I bet he thinks they would have won the cup his last season in DC if he had been able to bring is career typical game.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think there's a one-year window for this, if any. Maybe if there's another massively hyped generational talent you'll see the Caps covertly tank again for a season and then reload. But that's only as a last resort.

I think it largely depends on Kuzy, Bura, etc....to stave off that drop off. If Kuzy doesn't take the next step and become a 70+ point guy with regularity, they may be in trouble unless they get a few gems in the draft between now and 4 years.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
I think it largely depends on Kuzy, Bura, etc....to stave off that drop off. If Kuzy doesn't take the next step and become a 70+ point guy with regularity, they may be in trouble unless they get a few gems in the draft between now and 4 years.

That group already failed ounce. All the team needed was for any of Kuzy, Bura, Holtby, Wilson ,Mojo or Carlzner. To really step up and out play there cheap contracts while Nick and OV were in there prime. And it never happened. Most of them turned out to be good players. And some may be great but its to late now.

Just like Nick with no second gear for the playoffs these guys did not get it done.

And save the states we all know what they are. We all also know that these guys were not there when it mattered.

The one the blow it the worst was Kuza. He was at a over a point per game pace. And then just nothing the last month of the season and playoffs.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I'm probably in the minority of old-ish Caps fans... I'm not an original but I've got 25 years in going back to games with my dad as a season ticket holder at age 6-7...I still care about the regular season, I still love to see my team win no matter how big or small the game is. Ultimately of course we all want a cup, we might not see one in the near future until the next full on rebuild. Then again, who knows? Maybe a mixture of some young talent in the lineup is just what we need to jumpstart things. Maybe Bura turns into a 30+ goal scorer, Vrana might be somewhere in the 20s. Bowey might be able to step right in and be good. He's got the games under his belt that Alzner and Carlson had when they made the jump. Maybe Orlov takes another huge step and becomes a legit top pairing guy. WHO KNOWS...and that's why it's all fun and I enjoy it all. I want to cheer for my team and I want to see them grow and build.

It takes just that right mix and the right amount of luck(hot goalie, puck luck, calls to go your way, etc) to win a cup and we never really know how it unfolds until it's done.

That said, go Caps! Looking forward to another fruitful regular season and hopefully a good playoff run! :handclap:

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014

hunter had never served as head coach in the ahl, let alone the nhl. Which is fine, if you like your commercial airline pilots to have heard the word “plane†before but have only a vague familiarity with the principles of flight. Why, if not for pure, high-octane fan service, did the capitals choose such an obviously ill-qualified candidate to take over a team that was, by any logical estimation, a mere hop, skip, and a jump away from hoisting the stanley cup?

The answer, like all things comedic, is timing.

See, as my fearless leader over on sb nation’s japers’ rink notes, the middle of the season is rarely the most opportune time to go looking for a new head coach.

Had the capitals had the chutzpah to pull the plug on the boudreau era during the offseason, before limping like a drunken giraffe through a full quarter of the schedule, they had several nhl coaching options that, you know, had ever done it before even one single solitary time.

The coaches available during the 2011-2012 offseason included: Ken hitchcock (currently head coach of the dallas stars), marc crawford (currently associate coach of the ottawa senators), bob hartley (who signed on as head coach of the calgary flames that season instead), and craig mactavish (currently v.p. Of hockey operations for the resurgent edmonton oilers).

Instead of choosing one of these known, proven values during the offseason, the capitals waited until everyone else had a dance partner, then fired their prom date. With no better options left, washington hired guy-with-lots-of-fan-patience-built-in dale hunter, one of just four players who have had their number retired by the capitals.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Wait, is he arguing that one of those coaches would've gotten the Caps farther than Hunter? Has he looked at their records since then?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Those four options were, uh, terrible. No Hunter & Oates and McPhee is probably still employed, too.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
HFBoards is famous on the web for its stupid trade proposal and their passive-aggressive members. Everything is too serious here, I'm sure the Carlson for Hamilton thing was a joke. At least I hope it was.

As with just about everything else only the extreme examples stand out and get attention. There are plenty of good posts and posters on HF but they're largely ignored because it's more fun for some to freak out or pick on each other.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
As with just about everything else only the extreme examples stand out and get attention. There are plenty of good posts and posters on HF but they're largely ignored because it's more fun for some to freak out or pick on each other.

Unfortunately, the bad posters tend to start more threads than the good ones. Some of these threads are even intended to become ****storms. If you've been in the hockey sub-Reddit, you'll notice how everybody gets along, even rival fans have courteous conversations. I don't know why we can't recreate this atmosphere on HF.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Unfortunately, the bad posters tend to start more threads than the good ones. Some of these threads are even intended to become ****storms. If you've been in the hockey sub-Reddit, you'll notice how everybody gets along, even rival fans have courteous conversations. I don't know why we can't recreate this atmosphere on HF.

I don't reddit. Doesn't that site have a downvote system that hides ****posts? That's probably one reason. We ban the **** out of disruptive people here and they keep coming back. Downvoting bad posts will sanitize threads in one way but might also hide legit opinions that are unpopular, so it's a trade off that might just make things seem unified.

We also have thousands of members and guests at any given time, especially during big events, and we have a ton of forums. Not sure if a reddit subforum is that big or active since I haven't been there.

We have a site migration upcoming. Not sure what new features will be included, tho. Stay tuned. Or don't. I don't get paid for this and we're not holding anybody here against their will. If anyone wants to go to reddit instead of staying here

pb1.gif

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Reddit is host to some of the worst scum on the internet. Certain subreddits are probably legit but in general I'd stay far away from them given their history.

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014
I don't reddit. Doesn't that site have a downvote system that hides ****posts? That's probably one reason. We ban the **** out of disruptive people here and they keep coming back. Downvoting bad posts will sanitize threads in one way but might also hide legit opinions that are unpopular, so it's a trade off that might just make things seem unified.

We also have thousands of members and guests at any given time, especially during big events, and we have a ton of forums. Not sure if a reddit subforum is that big or active since I haven't been there.

We have a site migration upcoming. Not sure what new features will be included, tho. Stay tuned. Or don't. I don't get paid for this and we're not holding anybody here against their will. If anyone wants to go to reddit instead of staying here

pb1.gif

giphy.gif

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

pb1.gif

Yes, the worst posts get buried when enough people down vote, but unpopular legit opinions don't get down voted as long as they're accompanied by a compelling argument. One feature I like is down voting entire threads. If you make a stupid thread or a thread to provoke other people, it will get buried before a moderator could shut it down. In a way, Reddit moderates itself to an extent, it's a different concept.

This is by no means a criticism of HF or its moderators, you guys do a great job, and I have no intention of leaving this forum. I just wish people were a bit more courteous.

You're the best g00n, keep up the good work :)

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014
Yes, the worst posts get buried when enough people down vote, but unpopular legit opinions don't get down voted as long as they're accompanied by a compelling argument. One feature I like is down voting entire threads. If you make a stupid thread or a thread to provoke other people, it will get buried before a moderator could shut it down. In a way, Reddit moderates itself to an extent, it's a different concept.

This is by no means a criticism of HF or its moderators, you guys do a great job, and I have no intention of leaving this forum. I just wish people were a bit more courteous.

giphy.gif

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

aw shucks :sarcasm:

But seriously on the downvote topic, I wonder what would happen here. We have some big fanbases up north (which I will not name) that would probably start ballot-stuffing and pruning content. It may be more equally distributed across teams on reddit.

edit: yes, I realize we're OT again but summmmeerrrrtiiiiimeeeee

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
aw shucks :sarcasm:

But seriously on the downvote topic, I wonder what would happen here. We have some big fanbases up north (which I will not name) that would probably start ballot-stuffing and pruning content. It may be more equally distributed across teams on reddit.

edit: yes, I realize we're OT again but summmmeerrrrtiiiiimeeeee

Who gives a crap about OT, there's nothing else to discuss at the moment ;)

Yes, there is a fair distribution of members on Reddit. For example, there are 11 000 people subscribed to the Caps sub-reddit, 13 000 to the Habs sub-reddit and 28 000 to the Leafs sub-reddit. I realize there are far less active members than that, but it represents the distribution accurately.

Here on HF, Leafs and Habs fans alone outnumber us 50 to 1. If there was a down vote and upvote system, our voice would never be heard. We're not a very vocal fanbase anyway :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad