Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXVIII (It's Working! Let's Fix It.)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
They have been mediocre to bad all season long. It amazed me that people were still posting them above us in threads on the main board as recent as a week ago.

They made it to the Cup two years ago and G7 of the ECF last year with largely the same roster. Even though they've been mediocre/bad all year, it's not hard to see why people thought that. They're also getting killed with injuries so most people assumed they'd bounce back. I still think they'll make a run in the very mediocre Atlantic, but they're running out of time.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
They made it to the Cup two years ago and G7 of the ECF last year with largely the same roster. Even though they've been mediocre/bad all year, it's not hard to see why people thought that. They're also getting killed with injuries so most people assumed they'd bounce back. I still think they'll make a run in the very mediocre Atlantic, but they're running out of time.

I wouldn't them in a 1 v 8 matchup

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Yep. I feel like this has been the plan all along.

Which I don't think is such a bad thing... I think if he played 82 games he's probably a 15-20 goal scorer this year as a rookie. Nice thing to have waiting in the wings. Lot of cup teams/contenders bring in their own young home grown talent for a playoff run. Can't recall us doing it though unless my memory is failing me.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Lot of cup teams/contenders bring in their own young home grown talent for a playoff run. Can't recall us doing it though unless my memory is failing me.

Varly. Carlson. Wilson are three in recent years. Varly had 6 nhl games before playing 13 playoff games. Carlson scored a game tying playoff goal after only 22 NHL games. Wilson's first NHL game was a playoff game

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuz, Bura, Mojo, Eller, Wilson

Oshie and/or Williams signed after the draft.

Does Vrana have to be protected? Who am I missing. If yes that's Vrana instead of Eller

Jay freaking Beagle isn't getting poached a year from UFA.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Guys, what's the rules says about RFA's? Because we are always talking about, protecting Orlov if we can resign Alzner after the draft, but Orlov is also at the end of his contract.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Guys, what's the rules says about RFA's? Because we are always talking about, protecting Orlov if we can resign Alzner after the draft, but Orlov is also at the end of his contract.

the same as not protecting UFAs, the only difference is UFAs can leave 2 weeks later.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Pending RFAs count toward the exposure requirement while pending UFAs do not.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
100%

To me it doesn't matter what forwards we protect. Either Schmidt/Grubauer or Orlov (depending on the Alzner situation) will be taken from us.

theres still the protect 8 skaters option. it'll come down to Orlov vs. Johansson/Burakovsky. And who knows what will happen with Oshie and Alzner, the ultimate win scenario is they both sign after the draft and we lose Schmidt or Grubauer.

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Lost in Time and Space
Gave it a listen. Very interesting talk about Alzner and his contract. Pretty solid podcast

Summary RE: Alzner - Yeah I try to listen to that one as much as I can as he is great at discussing analytics based hockey that laymen folk can get.

Basically it would be foolish to sign Alzner to the figures that have been floating out there ($6 mil per year) and then have to protect him and expose Orlov.

IF we are going to sign Alzner it would be terrible to do so before the expansion draft.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Question about the 7 players that Vegas selects in the expansion draft that may not make the roster.

Regarding the expansion draft, so Vegas picks 30 players (one from each team). On top of that I'm sure they'll sign some UFAs. So the players that are picked up in the expansion draft and who don't make the 23 man roster, what's their status? I assume Vegas will trade them (but they can't be traded back to their old team until after January 1, 2018)? Otherwise these players would have to go through waivers before they could be sent to the Vegas's AHL affiliate?

Last edited:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Summary RE: Alzner - Yeah I try to listen to that one as much as I can as he is great at discussing analytics based hockey that laymen folk can get.

Basically it would be foolish to sign Alzner to the figures that have been floating out there ($6 mil per year) and then have to protect him and expose Orlov.

IF we are going to sign Alzner it would be terrible to do so before the expansion draft.

Sure but then you'd risk losing both Alzner and Schmidt/Grubauer.

Jun 15, 2007
The ideal scenario is paying Vegas to take Orpik with our first.

Short of that, handshake with Alzner to sign a 4x7 or something deal and protect Orlov and lose Schmidt to Vegas while trading Grubauer to a team without a goalie.

If Alzner wants 6m a year, see you later.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Lost in Time and Space
The ideal scenario is paying Vegas to take Orpik with our first.

Short of that, handshake with Alzner to sign a 4x7 or something deal and protect Orlov and lose Schmidt to Vegas while trading Grubauer to a team without a goalie.

If Alzner wants 6m a year, see you later.

No way Alzner signs a deal like that. He will definitely get around $6 mil per as there are a great many teams who have the cap space to bring in a top 4 young dman like him.

McPhee will take either Schmidt, Grubauer or Eller/Beagle (whichever one is left unprotected)

We will protect Holtby, Carlson, Niskanen, Orlov

Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuz, Bura, Wilson, MJ and either Eller or Beagle

You heard it here first

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
No way Alzner signs a deal like that. He will definitely get around $6 mil per as there are a great many teams who have the cap space to bring in a top 4 young dman like him.

McPhee will take either Schmidt, Grubauer or Eller/Beagle (whichever one is left unprotected)

We will protect Holtby, Carlson, Niskanen, Orlov

Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuz, Bura, Wilson, MJ and either Eller or Beagle

You heard it here first

Was gonna post the exact same list. Doesn't make sense to protect any UFAs. My guess is they protect Eller and leave Beags exposed. Hate to loose Wilson for "Nothing" but, given that list, that's who I want them to take. If they were a division foe, I'd probably hope for someone else :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad