Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXVIII (It's Working! Let's Fix It.)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
That $500K would have made a huge difference, and would have allowed them to actually carry 13F. That cap number decreases if they, you know, carry a full compliment of forwards.

NOT carrying extra roster guys is how you accumulate the $4m we're projected to maybe have at the deadline.

A static 500K doesn't move the needle much.

Last edited:

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Cap Friendly currently projects the Capitals to have $4,343,733 in available cap space at the trade deadline. More than enough to fit a forward AND a #7D. Especially if that forward is cheap (like Vanek) and/or the other team retains a portion of the salary.

And again, that cap space will have directly come from NOT spending money on those two spots. You just said yesterday, in exasperated fashion, that carrying and playing more young guys is something you've been clamoring for all year. We couldn't have done that all year. Couldn't afford it.

NOW you're saying we'll have space at the deadline, which we'll have gotten from NOT doing what you've been complaining about.

It's one or the other, Hive. Can't be both. With the space we entered the season with, those two ideas are mutually exclusive without moving out a sizable chunk of salary -- basically losing costly roster guy for futures or something cheap.

So we could either have carried and played young guys all year as you've "been saying all season long," OR not do that and accumulate the space to make a real acquisition or two at the deadline. Not both.

Last edited:

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Am I the only one who's watched several of the past cup winners bring up young talent for the playoffs and succeed? I think Vrana can be that guy, he was not at all outmatched in the NHL when he was up. I know "playoff hockey" is different, but he's pretty feisty for a little scoring winger. I think he can hold his own and be called upon if needed.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
This isn't "having it both ways." I've been consistent with my line of thinking, that I want to test out what they have in Hershey. Having an additional $500K would go a long way towards being able to do that AND bank up cap space. Especially if you have that $500K from the beginning of the season onwards (it would be worth something near $2-$2.5M in trade deadline space).

I wasn't advocating that they need to keep players down to maximize cap space. I was simply pointing out that the assertion the Capitals ONLY have the space for a #7D is false if management continues to manage the way they have. I'm willing to acknowledge that management is unlikely to change their thinking and rotate in Hershey players, especially given their utilization of O'Brien and Stephenson recently.

And, FWIW, they could actually have MORE cap space if they had been rotating in other Hershey players rather than sticking with Zach Sanford for 19 games.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
You're assuming Wilson could have been had for $500K less. A 16th overall that's played full-time in the NHL since he was 19, coming off a season where he took huge steps forward on the forecheck and PK, and is already regarded as one of the league's toughest guys and savvy at drawing penalties? That guy gets paid, Hive.

You can claim all you want that he could have been had for 25% less, but you have no way of knowing that. Wilson's agent had Orlov as a recent comp with a lower draft position, less NHL experience, and less accomplished, getting $2m. It's not apples-to-apples, but it didn't have to be. Wilson played well last year. That he hadn't gelled offensively yet, at 21, wasn't that big a deal. Why? The comp and...

Simmonds was their best player in that game. Wilson knew he was busted right after the hit, yet kept his head enough to take their best player off with him for 5 of the 7 minutes left in a playoff game with a 1-goal lead.

He's no dummy, shows versatility, size, speed, extremely rare physicality, durability, defensive and fighting acumen... Just coming off his ELC, that guy gets paid. Period.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
You're assuming Wilson could have been had for $500K less. A 16th overall that's played full-time in the NHL since he was 19, coming off a season where he took huge steps forward on the forecheck and PK, and is already regarded as one of the league's toughest guys and savvy at drawing penalties? That guy gets paid, Hive.

You can claim all you want that he could have been had for 25% less, but you have no way of knowing that. Wilson's agent had Orlov as a recent comp with a lower draft position, less NHL experience, and less accomplished, getting $2m. It's not apples-to-apples, but it didn't have to be. Wilson played well last year. That he hadn't gelled offensively yet, at 21, wasn't that big a deal. Why? The comp and...

Simmonds was their best player in that game. Wilson knew he was busted right after the hit, yet kept his head enough to take their best player off with him for 5 of the 7 minutes left in a playoff game with a 1-goal lead.

He's no dummy, shows versatility, size, speed, extremely rare physicality, durability, defensive and fighting acumen... Just coming off his ELC, that guy gets paid. Period.

Couturier was a much better ELC player than Wilson playing a more important position and he got 1.75 as his bridge contract. Silfverberg took a 700k prove me one year after having shown as much as Burakovsky if not more. Plenty of other examples as well

There's ways to make it happen. We all know our management falls in love with role players and weren't playing hardball with Wilson's agent.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Couturier signed that deal when he was 18 months younger than Wilson was when he signed, and basically signed a year early. He could have played out his deal and gotten more. And he would have gotten more, given how big a role he took on and locked up during his ELC.

How many 20-year-old, 8th overall, impact starters sign a 1.75m deal with a full year remaining on their ELC? Couturier could easily have gotten $2m+.

Silfverberg signed a prove-it deal because he had to. He had a shaky year and missed 30 games spread throughout the last season of his ELC. Then he "proved it" and they signed him to 4-year, $15 million contract after a 13-goal season, largely because he'd just become a key PKer for them.

That deal has worked out for them since, fortunately. Not sure I see the comparison here, unless you're looking forward to maybe giving Wilson $3.75m per if he manages to eke out 13 goals sometime soon...

We all know our management falls in love with role players and weren't playing hardball with Wilson's agent.

No one here knows anything of the sort. Some of you think you know all kinds of things. There's a difference between fact and baseless conjecture.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Go back and read the thread about his contract. The comparables are laid out pretty clearly in there. Also, as pointed out in that thread, Wilson had essentially no leverage. He was an RFA with no arbitration rights, which means that the only way he could drive up his price was threatening to play in Europe or hoping another team would give him an offer sheet (which is exceptionally rare).

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Are we still going round and round about Wilson? He is overpaid. Fishman and MacLellan are in the tank for him. He sucks. Even still he had a direct hand in them winning the game last night as he often does. Even without points on the board.

But hell....They could leave him unprotected for the Ex draft and he wouldn't get taken. Bad contract and no value and all.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Go back and read the thread about his contract. The comparables are laid out pretty clearly in there. Also, as pointed out in that thread, Wilson had essentially no leverage. He was an RFA with no arbitration rights, which means that the only way he could drive up his price was threatening to play in Europe or hoping another team would give him an offer sheet (which is exceptionally rare).

As I recall we went back and forth for several days about the comparables, measurable, etc etc and there were good points made by all sides with some reasonable arguments against the comparables you offered and the hardball approach you advocated.

How much cap space did gmbm have last TDL that he didn't even use? More than $500K? Why are you assuming that this year, after more offseason moves that appear to be working out, gmbm is being hamstrung by $500K for a guy on a highly effective 4th line that, had it been clicking like this, may have put us past the Penguins in the 2nd round? Isn't Wilson a big part of that line and its success? Isn't that something to account for when evaluating the deal?

Seems like we're not seeing the forest for the trees.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
This team is carrying only 12 forwards in an effort to bank what meager cap space it has. The proof is in the pudding that GMBM would like to have more cap space to work with right now.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This team is carrying only 12 forwards in an effort to bank what meager cap space it has. The proof is in the pudding that GMBM would like to have more cap space to work with right now.

Where is the "evidence" beyond assumption?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Where is the "evidence" beyond assumption?
I think it's a very reasonable conclusion. How often have they not carried an extra forward OR defenseman? Typically there's at least one healthy scratch, if not two, and they're doing that on the road even.

Does that mean they regret certain contracts? Hardly. MacLellan is just doing what every GM of a competitive team should to maximize flexibility as much as possible heading into the deadline.

The team rewarded Wilson and they value him more than most teams probably. But even given their fondness toward him it's pretty questionable to protect him over Beagle or Eller at this point. They're both older Cs but Wilson has shown very little this season suggesting further offensive upside. Whereas those two Cs are more valuable in helping them win now.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Are we really arguing a GM would like more cap space? Doesn't every near cap team? Thanks Sherlock!

I'd bet GMBM isn't beating himself up over Wilson's salary. Here, it's become an obsession for some.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'm not going to pretend to be George McPhee but if Grubauer and Schmidt/Orlov are available and he says "give me Tom Wilson" I'll just go ahead and eat my hat. One is a third liner at best, the others are potentially a #1 goalie and top 4 two-way defensemen, respectively.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
George has always preferred protection in his lineup. Always.

Are there players very similar age style cap etc to Willy that are going to be available? Or, is he more of a unique player. I don't see many players hitting us like Willy does to opposition.

George is going to have his pick of the litter on all teams. Potential top 4s are going to available in droves IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad