Post-Game Talk: A successful season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Condolences from Blues nation. Was pulling for you guys. My heart broke for y'all tonight. Hope you can get a tendy and some defense next season. Oilers sure are fun to watch.

Thank you. I was rooting for the Blues last series, I think Blues would have won if not for the Binnington injury. Need a goalie and one more top 4D. Nurse was rough this series but he was playing injured.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
I'm sorry to be negative but I can't feel good about this. Yes we beat Calgary and made it to round 3. Yes the experience is good for the group. But even a Hurculean effort by our top guys (even RNH was phenomenal) couldn't mask the gaping holes on the back end and it net. Everyone knew this coming into the season, and it was exposed this round. A competent GM with that much cap space surely could have done so much better than what we've been trotting out back there.
Yeah, the scary part is what is this team going to look like when McDavid and Draisaitl aren't scoring at two points per game? Because this for sure was an outlier. The team got massively outscored and massively outchanced when McDavid wasn't on the ice in these playoffs. Holland found wingers that compliment him, but that's about as much as a success he had.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
They went further than expected but it's still galling to go out in a sweep, especially when the players fell flat on their faces to start all three series and never learned from it. That clownshow GM felt this tandem was the best he could do and that they were good enough..

I'm going to hold off on criticizing any more or it might not stop. Get rid of the dead weight in the roster, get players who know their roles and are willing to play them, and find some f***ing goaltending that provides consistent, steady reliability. Even with that mediocre standard as a baseline, I think this team might have had enough to take it to 7 against a frankly much more determined and deep avs lineup.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
All the fans attending this game should get their money back. The NHL officiating robbed you of the outcome. I'll play that. AV's get a goal with the official stopping up the puck in our zone, leads to goal. One of the worst phantom calls you'll ever see, on Ryan, leads to goal. Then of course no highstick on the winning goal. I mean did anybody expect a call on that? Nah, I didn't either. This just a shortlist of the one sided calls of the game and the AV's being allowed to constantly interfere, hold, to prevent our forecheck.
I would be angrier if it was Game 6 or 7 in a tight series.

But this outcome was inevitable imo. So while I’m annoyed by the officiating, the anger is less palpable lmao

Reactions: Patch101

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Ceci deflection is on Drai for not getting over to the point. Mackinnon one oir D got caught high. Keith and Bouchard weren't good on the OT goal.

This team just doesn't defend nearly well enough. If they want to actually get a Cup finals you're never gonna do it playing this fire wagon 5-4, 6-5 style.
Draisaitl was playing with a dead man’s body so I don’t fault him at all. He could barely even skate by the end.

MacKinnon should’ve never scored from that angle. Smith should’ve had that one. It was a 1v1 and MacK was driving wide. Challenge the shooter FFS.

OT goal was highsticking IMO, but that’s the way she goes.

I don’t disagree that we need to improve our defense. I just don’t think we were particularly bad defensively tonight. The goals were mostly on Smith, bad breaks, or poor officiating.

Reactions: AlbOilFAN

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Mike Smith should take the million dollar he is due, go LTIR,
And reimburse every single one of those fan who he robbed.

Reactions: TypeSly

PULSATING

Sep 20, 2018
What a ride this season was guys! Thanks for putting up with my shitposting.

Remember 6 months ago when Dave Tippet was our coach? Who would've thought we'd make it to the WCF? Not me lol, I was prepping for the lottery.

Hope Kenny has some tricks up his sleave to improve the D and G, not sure I trust the guy. I don't think this falls all on Smith but he could have been better. I think it's obvious that the D is just not good enough also. Probably need another #2 to bolster Nurse.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Frustrating result obviously tonight, but was great to have the ride. I'll be interested to see what injuries Nurse and Drai were nursing. Great season from McDavid and Drai.

Hoping Skinner can take the reigns next year and run with it. We are a piece or two away from being a legit cup threat.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Happy we made it to round 3 and beating Calgary was amazing. But it shows we need major upgrades on defence and in goaltending. No way we can win with a similar d core next year.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I really think you guys are a piece away from greatness

This. I knew that Hyman was a terrific pickup, but man is he an amazing fit for that squad. Kane (though prone to bonehead play) is still an offensive dynamo.

I’m not sure Smith is the answer in goal, but getting into the WCF finals shows that you’re pretty close already. Not to mention you have some solid prospects on the backend coming up no?

TypeSly

Jan 29, 2010
Wayne Gretzky Drive
I wish that the Oilers could have just won ONE game this series. It's so hard to feel good about the season because of being swept to end it, and in the fashion of how they got swept (One BS non-offside goal gifted to the Avs and then choking late in games multiple times).

It's so hard not to be bitter at Smith right now, the way he just sh*t the bed all series, and it only kept getting worse until finally putting us out of our misery in OT of the final game. Seriously, how many gaffs can one goalie have to cost his team games? And of course they happen, only at the most absolutely crucial times. Can any Oiler fan honestly say they would want to see him in net for the playoffs ever again? I bet there's not one player in that locker room that would say that they do.

Last edited:
Reactions: harpoon

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Avs got to the Cup finals 6-5 style?

Avs beat us both ways. When we wanted to play wide open stupid hockey they took advantage. They also in the middle chunk of the series shut our offense down for large stretches.

This team honestly was bad defensively for much of the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad