Post-Game Talk: A successful season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Special shout out to Kane, and Kassian, two players that understood what the Oilers needed more of in this series and at least tried to get some bad blood flowing. The Oilers, after the Flames series were having trouble dialing up motivating hate for this series and opponent. Both Kane and Kass were feeding that, but alas too late. I do feel the AV's responded dirty in this game in response to Kane on Kadri, and I think it got the AV's off their mental focus in this one. We should won, and there should have been more calls on the AV's infractions and undisciplined play.

So much learning experiences, we missed opportunities to get dialed in in this series. Felt the team really approached most of the series the wrong way.

Only problem is refs squarely in Avs corner.

How that Landeskog hit from behind is 2 minutes for holding I'll never know.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Nurse confirmed he tore his hip flexor
Jesus. It's a miracle that he was even out there.
Just wait until we hear the details of Drai's injury. I bet he had several ailments.

It's a shame that two guys who have been iron men pretty much their entire career free of significant injury suffered significant injuries just in time for this playoff run.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Special shout out to Kane, and Kassian, two players that understood what the Oilers needed more of in this series and at least tried to get some bad blood flowing. The Oilers, after the Flames series were having trouble dialing up motivating hate for this series and opponent. Both Kane and Kass were feeding that, but alas too late. I do feel the AV's responded dirty in this game in response to Kane on Kadri, and I think it got the AV's off their mental focus in this one. We should won, and there should have been more calls on the AV's infractions and undisciplined play.

So much learning experiences, we missed opportunities to get dialed in in this series. Felt the team really approached most of the series the wrong way.
Special shout out to Kassian for the 3 games he showed up?

Reactions: TypeSly

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Retire please Smith. This ridiculous org will still pencil you in as the starter next year. Save us from ourselves.

Black Gold Extractor

May 4, 2010
I'm sad that it feels like a premature end to a promising season, but at the end of the day, I've had a lot of fun this season. Going through the ups and downs of a team with a forum of fans makes it that much better.

McDavid and Draisaitl are something else. They put up the first 2+ points/game playoff performances since Mario Lemieux in 1992, and Draisaitl did it though serious pain. This is something that everyone here will remember. Seeing them play in Oiler silks is truly a privilege.

As for the Oilers themselves, they ultimately won 2 series to 1. They were probably a bit lucky to beat Calgary in 5 and a bit unlucky to lose to Colorado in 4. It is what it is. Is it a successful season? Depends on how much one values a Cup. Is it a memorable (and mostly fun) one? IMHO, absolutely,

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Truly, the flat effort in game 2 was what killed the series for the team. 2-0 was too big of a hole to climb out of. Glad it was close in games 3 and 4, and would've been nice to see them get a few games at least, but I can't say I'm overall disappointed given where the team was 4 months ago.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Nurse discloses he played 3 series with a torn hip flexor. Such a shame this warrior was not at 100% to help this team. I hope some of the intense negativity for this player will be mitigated with a hard truth of a significant injury he played through.
Could see it in his skating. Hopefully he can recover fully

Reactions: russ99

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The Avs played bad in game 1 and game 4 and still found a way to win. That’s literally my point. The Avs are good enough that they can mostly play a shit game and just decide to win.
If Smith wasn't ass they lose at least 1 of those games. They are the better team but not by lightyears like you are trying to portray. Draisaitl being clearly injured and Nurse being badly injured really screwed us along with poor goaltending. I wonder if we consider buying out Smith? You can't be serious about winning the cup with a Smith/Skinner tandem next season IMO unless you really believe in Skinner.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The Oilers played 16 playoff games.

The oilers had games where they gave up: 4,4,5,9,4,8,4,4,6 goals. A full 9 of 16 games they gave up 4 or more.

Anyone that defends our tending or Holland for doing nothing about our tending should have his head examined.

The Top players on this team played well enough to try and force us to get to the cup but the 100% obvious weakest part of the team has not been addressed for years.

Successful year? No, it was there for us this year imo.

Can't wait till next year when people will be okay with a skinner smith tandem as long as smith is a 'good backup'....laughable.

Travis093

Travis
May 5, 2012
Saskatoon
Asking my gf who is a sports trainer on nurses injury and how bad it is/to play through

"I mean if it's actually fully torn then he will need surgery. But if it's just a grade one or two strain then he should be ready for next season no problem"

"Oh it wouldn't be like thaaaaat bad for hockey. You don't use your hip flexor as much as your hamstrings, gluten and groin"

"I mean if it's a grade two hip flexor strain then like yeah that'll hurt but it'll probably be mostly noticeable when like hitting and stuff. Not for skating. If it's a First degree then he's a straight up p***y"

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Offseason its time to reasess our bottomsix again. Look at the stuff AV's are getting from players like Compher, Lehkonen, and Helm, just to mention a few. The last two were imminently available. How did a Canadian club not spot the value in Lehkonen, a playoff warrior and just great 200ft player. Or a veteran Helm. How did you not be interested in that one Holland.

That we went for Brassard is real strange. A lot of the player usage in this series and playoffs was real strange too. The only bottomsix players that did anything were Kass and Mcleod.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Yes, it's successful season.
GG avs.

I gotta vent a bit here.
But I just don't understand why we went with Mike Smith throughout the entire series?

The guy was clearly Still shaky from Lucic hit and that was literally clear to every Oiler fan. He needed a break.
I'm sorry, but you can't let in 4 goals in a period when you are leading.
Avs clearly had the book on Smith and took every advantage of it.

He's a good goaltender when he is on...BUT he wasn't on this series?

Was Holland watching?
Woodcroft, was Smith really the only option left?

It's a tough way to go out, and I think the series was alot closer.

But in the end.

Thank you, Oilers for giving your all. I believe you deserve better and I believe you are ready to compete for the Stanley.

Thank you for this season and for these amazing playoffs.

My only consolation, is my hope, that reaching 3rd round.
Holland finally understands why...why the fans...keep asking for upgrade in goaltending.

It's so frustrating watching new staff and management learn lessons that Oiler fans already lived over and over for decades.

What is wrong in listening to pulse of the fans? Have they even tried it? Have they even considered that we may be on to something?

Have a great off-season everyone. God bless you all.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Not sure how Smith can come to and face media after this shit

Hell say "we're all disappointed" and a bunch of other platitudes without taking responsibility. You saw the guy throw his stick. Flayling his hands when he was scored on from 132 feet. He is always ready to blame someone else.

How does it make a guy like a Draisaitl playing on one leg feel to see this guy constantly f*** up?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Nurse played through a torn hip flexor. Holy **** what a warrior, still threw that huge hit that lead to a goal the other way.

Listening to McDavid, Draisaitl, and Nurse talking post game gave me tons of optimism about those men. That’s what they are now, they are grown ass men who have figured things out in this run.

This team will come back strong next year. Need to upgrade goaltending and internal growth with Skinner

Anemia

aka lack of Iron Man
Apr 24, 2007
Great White North
Imagine if Holland actually earned his ridiculous salary and got us a competent goalie? Wish that wasn't a f***ing pipe dream. Dude should be fired tonight, do not wait until tomorrow.

Reactions: foshizzle

oil4life97

Aug 10, 2005
Great run for a team that was floundering mid season and many wondered if we’d even make the dance. Some passengers exposed. Goaltending was cringe worthy at best. Ball is in Hollands court to improve this roster where needed and remove the passengers.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I'd take Makar. That kid is going to be an all-time great.

Yeah, never seen someone with the head snapback to draw penalties quite like that.

Idk, he's a good player, but legitimately several times through the series he initiated contact then dove to sell contact.

No wonder PPs 2:1 for Colorado.

Reactions: oilers'72 and TB12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad