Post-Game Talk: A successful season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Telling stat, in an elimination game that went to OT, Nurse was the only blueliner to break 20min; and only by 18 seconds.

With him hurt this team really lacked a difference maker on the backend.

The bare minimum they need is another top 4 with size and skating that can eat defensive minutes, but I hope Holland at least takes a look at getting 2nd horse so they're not overly dependant on Nurse.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Back guys. Decided to leave the boards until the Playoffs were over.

I hate Mike Smith. He cost us this game. He did not make any big saves in either of the last 2 games.

But a successful season yes. If we can play this good with a subpar goalie in net, one legged Draisaitl and Nurse and some more injuries, I'll take our chances with a better roster

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The defense wasn't even that bad tonight. Smith let in 4 terrible goals that any starting goaltender makes in their sleep.

Ceci deflection is on Drai for not getting over to the point. Mackinnon one oir D got caught high. Keith and Bouchard weren't good on the OT goal.

This team just doesn't defend nearly well enough. If they want to actually get a Cup finals you're never gonna do it playing this fire wagon 5-4, 6-5 style.

Reactions: Faelko and Patch101

TypeSly

Jan 29, 2010
Wayne Gretzky Drive
How stubborn was Woodcroft for not starting Mikko desprite Smith shitting the bed in game one was something.
Stubborn to get 4 game of that, Not sure I want him back tbh.

Agreed. Especially since Smith didn't once (this series) show us anything that would inspire confidence to ride or die with him.. and when he did get pulled, Koskinen played great. I thought at least when the Oilers went down 3-0 in games, Koskinen wouold have gotten the start.

Reactions: harpoon

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Probably wouldn’t have changed much but it looked like a high stick to me. Looked like his stick was head level or higher. Amazing that they couldn’t find an angle that showed both the stick and cross bar at the same time.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in this case the crossbar isn't the necessary point of reference (because he doesn't score directly on the play). Instead it's the players shoulder. At least that's my understanding of the rule.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Since the dawn of time, goaltending and defense was argued by people on this board as the likely downfall of this season. Sure enough, it was goaltending and defense.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if ever there were an argument for Holland going all in on either goaltending or defense, it's this series.

This team will go nowhere with mere 'tweaks' up front.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Good experience but it's never a successful season unless you are hoisting the cup in the end. It's unfortunate that we could've have gotten Skinner, Holloway (I missed the 1st and swear that I didn't even see him out there) and Broberg some experience in the fire.

Holland is on the clock, he needs to improve this team and get us some goaltending and upgrades on D and the 3rd line. We are in win now mode and nothing short of the Cup will do over these next 2-3 seasons.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
I'm pretty proud of that run, and the better team won, absolutely.
Just happy to be watching Hockey in June :)

UFA / Draft is already around the corner !! can't wait.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I really feel good about this team. The best days are ahead.

Yes the best players will be a year older but they are well within their primes

Woodcroft will have a full season. He is the right man for the job.

Injuries held us back.

Most of all, we have some obvious holes to fill. It will be challenging but I believe it is a simpler project that having to make core changes

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Better tell the Lightning that their back-to-back Cup wins with Kucherov, Stamkos and Hedman were a fluke!
They have an elite goaltender as part of their core. The best goalie in our org is a shitty 41 year old and the best prospect has barely played as a backup.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
This was always going to be a series the avs had to lose themselves. On paper they were favorites. I'm not disappointed we lost, I'm disappointed we got this far and maybe we could've gotten farther had Holland been more active. We have the longest serving goalie tandem in the NHL in Smith and Koskinen, how can you possibly defend having those 2 as the longest serving tandem.

We got really far. Conference finals. Hopefully we just keep building.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Well, the National broadcaster, CBC, your tax dollars at work got the "Killshot" they were hoping for all game. Imagine a National broadcaster cheering against the only Canadian team left and multiple times talking about an Av's "Killshot". Uncanny. Really a disgrace. Cancel the CBC.

Helm and Lehkonen, two TDL adds, combine on the OT winning goal. Think about that. We added Brassard as a forward and he's not even deemed good enough to be in the lineup. AV's added two heros. Of note we have Malone taking the faceoff on 2nd shift of OT and the illustrious pairing of Nurse-Bouchard. What are we trying to lose?

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
I'm sorry to be negative but I can't feel good about this. Yes we beat Calgary and made it to round 3. Yes the experience is good for the group. But even a Hurculean effort by our top guys (even RNH was phenomenal) couldn't mask the gaping holes on the back end and it net. Everyone knew this coming into the season, and it was exposed this round. A competent GM with that much cap space surely could have done so much better than what we've been trotting out back there.

Reactions: SnooPac and TypeSly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad