A Bridge Too Far

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
Amazing that people really wanted to blow it up with not only a playoff spot at the time but home ice and first seed with 3 weeks left

I've never seen a team do it but it could have been done

Out of curiosity I'd have loved to see the local and national reaction if the Bruins in a secure playoff spot not even first had traded Loui Eriksson for a first round pick.

I think it would have been an absolute nightmare and Bergeron and Krejci and company would have lost it and the there would be no trust between management and players

Had they been 5 points out I can see it

Bingo!

Missing the playoffs by a point wasn't on Sweeney. He believed in them and he gave them every chance. It was the players that blew it and you have to believe they know that.

Trading Loui at the deadline would have been like cutting off their legs. Instead, Sweeney chose to invest in them. It didn't pay dividends last spring, I still believe it was the right move and the trust he built with them will pay dividends moving forward.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Bingo!

Missing the playoffs by a point wasn't on Sweeney. He believed in them and he gave them every chance. It was the players that blew it and you have to believe they know that.

Trading Loui at the deadline would have been like cutting off their legs. Instead, Sweeney chose to invest in them. It didn't pay dividends last spring, I still believe it was the right move and the trust he built with them will pay dividends moving forward.

Open question

If you were the GM of the Boston Bruins and are a at the trade deadline in a playoff spot - top 5 seed.

Would you deal a UFA to be Brad Marchand for a first round pick.

Assume Marchand is what he is and you are still talking

My answer is I wouldn't

I also believe 30 GMs and 30 assistant GMs voting would go 60-0 they wouldn't do it.

Imagine bailing at the deadline and telling Bergeron and company we are going to take out score player to get a draft pick - and you have to assume it's a playoff pick

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Amazing that people really wanted to blow it up with not only a playoff spot at the time but home ice and first seed with 3 weeks left

Out of curiosity I'd have loved to see the local and national reaction if the Bruins in a secure playoff spot not even first had traded Loui Eriksson for a first round pick.

I think it would have been an absolute nightmare and Bergeron and Krejci and company would have lost it and the there would be no trust between management and players

Agree with you here. As the deadline approached, the team was on solid footing. No GM in their right mind is going to dump in that position.

Really hope Sweeney has something up his sleeve. Judging from Neelys comments this week, doesn't sound like it. With this current blue line, it looks to me like another playoff DNQ. Another 14th-16th pick in the draft. ****** spot to be in. Hopefully a dman can be acquired. Not necessarily a young dman, even a Jeff Petry type (with less term). A stable 2nd pairing presence on the right side for the time being. Wait to see if Collin Miller can overtake the position.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Agree with you here. As the deadline approached, the team was on solid footing. No GM in their right mind is going to dump in that position.

Really hope Sweeney has something up his sleeve. Judging from Neelys comments this week, doesn't sound like it. With this current blue line, it looks to me like another playoff DNQ. Another 14th-16th pick in the draft. ****** spot to be in. Hopefully a dman can be acquired. Not necessarily a young dman, even a Jeff Petry type (with less term). A stable 2nd pairing presence on the right side for the time being. Wait to see if Collin Miller can overtake the position.

As a season ticket holder that spends thousands I would have lost it had they traded Eriksson the trade deadline for a first or two seconds and no replacement

Had they been out of contention trade away

Imagine facing Chaea Bergeron Marchand Krejci and the rest telling them 'we got the Blues first' and added nothing similar

I'm not sure it would have gone over well

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
As a season ticket holder that spends thousands I would have lost it had they traded Eriksson the trade deadline for a first or two seconds and no replacement

Had they been out of contention trade away

Imagine facing Chaea Bergeron Marchand Krejci and the rest telling them 'we got the Blues first' and added nothing similar

I'm not sure it would have gone over well

What is he telling them now as we are getting close to the season and the defense is still looking like one of the worst in the league?, 3rd year going with no improvements, is he going to say "just wait for maybe 5 years and we may have a defense"?

The issues were easy to see with this team and have been for 2 years, even when they were at the 1st place, they were nowhere near being contenders.
This team hasn't been able to play with consistency for the last 2 years, you have no idea what level of defense is going to show up any given night, lack of speed/puck moving in the playoffs would have made the Bruins easy team to play against, bottom6 was lacking.

You sell Lou as he was one of the best UFAs out there and use lesser assets to bring back Step and Liles if you want to please Bergeron and the guys.
Not selling Lou made fixing this team more difficult.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
What is he telling them now as we are getting close to the season and the defense is still looking like one of the worst in the league?, 3rd year going with no improvements, is he going to say "just wait for maybe 5 years and we may have a defense"?

The issues were easy to see with this team and have been for 2 years, even when they were at the 1st place, they were nowhere near being contenders.
This team hasn't been able to play with consistency for the last 2 years, you have no idea what level of defense is going to show up any given night, lack of speed/puck moving in the playoffs would have made the Bruins easy team to play against.

You sell Lou as he was one of the best UFAs out there and use lesser assets to bring back Step and Liles if you want to please Bergeron and the guys.

What are you talking about :laugh:

I thought I read here Seidenberg was the cause of wars and economic collapses

Krug healthy.

Millers more experienced

Liles replaced Irwin

The CHL guys are a year closer

They signed O'Gara & Grzelcyk

Yah no improvements

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
What are you talking about :laugh:

I thought I read here Seidenberg was the cause of wars and economic collapses

Krug healthy.

Millers more experienced

Liles replaced Irwin

The CHL guys are a year closer

They signed O'Gara & Grzelcyk

Yah no improvements

Yeah that's really not an improvement on the ice. Easily bottom10 defense in the league, only on paper you can argue few teams have a worse group.
Detroit, Rangers, Toronto, Bruins are fighting for worst group in the league, where's the improvement?

So your selling point is the "hey wait for maybe 5 years and we may have some impact defenseman on the team?

How do you think they react to that?

edit, and Irwin played 2 games last year at the start of season, really no point of bringing him up and how Liles will be an upgrade on him.

Last edited:

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Dan I'm not speaking for everyone on last year, but I think many of us were hopeful that Loui would be parlayed into a young d-man or a guy like Shattenkirk, whom I think would have been better for them even last year, let alone going forward. I didn't kill Sweeney for not getting a 1st rounder for Loui, I killed him for overestimating his team, changing his strategy midstream on Loui when all of a sudden the playoffs were in reach, AND not targeting a dman for Loui. I'd have done that Shattenkirk deal every day of the week.

Also I don't think last year's team was bad by any stretch. But the defense was. And that remains my big issue. And while you can point to some small reasons why they should be better this year (Krug's health, Miller older, no Seids, etc.), I think they add up to something but it's likely not much. And I think it could all easily be dwarfed by one more season of tread on the tires for Chara.

All in all, I like the forwards, goalie (though I'm worried with this D), and coach. But if you don't have at least a decent defense, you don't contend. And IMO this isn't close to a decent defense. Everything could fall into place as you suggest and I still don't see this as even an average NHL defense. I think every d-man but Chara and Krug would be third pairing d-men on every quality NHL team, and some would be scratches. Julien may be able to make do with those guys, but you're playing with fire over time. I think last year showed that.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya

Depends on the trade. If the Bruins traded Eriksson for picks, then you have a point. However, if it was the rumoured Eriksson for Shattenkirk deal, it should've got done.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Depends on the trade. If the Bruins traded Eriksson for picks, then you have a point. However, if it was the rumoured Eriksson for Shattenkirk deal, it should've got done.

The rumor was take Lehtera contract.

Deal killer

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Dan I'm not speaking for everyone on last year, but I think many of us were hopeful that Loui would be parlayed into a young d-man or a guy like Shattenkirk, whom I think would have been better for them even last year, let alone going forward. I didn't kill Sweeney for not getting a 1st rounder for Loui, I killed him for overestimating his team, changing his strategy midstream on Loui when all of a sudden the playoffs were in reach, AND not targeting a dman for Loui. I'd have done that Shattenkirk deal every day of the week.

Also I don't think last year's team was bad by any stretch. But the defense was. And that remains my big issue. And while you can point to some small reasons why they should be better this year (Krug's health, Miller older, no Seids, etc.), I think they add up to something but it's likely not much. And I think it could all easily be dwarfed by one more season of tread on the tires for Chara.

All in all, I like the forwards, goalie (though I'm worried with this D), and coach. But if you don't have at least a decent defense, you don't contend. And IMO this isn't close to a decent defense. Everything could fall into place as you suggest and I still don't see this as even an average NHL defense. I think every d-man but Chara and Krug would be third pairing d-men on every quality NHL team, and some would be scratches. Julien may be able to make do with those guys, but you're playing with fire over time. I think last year showed that.

Agree I would have jumped at Loui & Miller & Koko for Shatt. Picks would've worked if they were Carolinaish

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
Top-4 defensemen are in short supply. It is almost impossible to acquire one without creating a major hole elsewhere. In the Bruins case, Pastrnak at minimum has to be on the table, and where does that leave the Bruins at RW? Jimmy Hayes?

Seems the Jets are rumored to be in a similar position with Trouba that Don Sweeney was with Hamilton. If true, wise of Chevy to wait it out, take advantage of the restricted tag Trouba carries. I don't see Trouba being moved for a 1st and (2) 2nd's. I'd argue that Hamilton at the time of the trade was a better player than Trouba is now. I really hate the return on that trade. Needed a young body coming back. Flames burned Sweeney. And I don't care that Dougie sucked for a good chunk of last season. At the time of the trade, he was a young premier RH shot dman. Boychuk & Dougie move for (1) 1st and (4) 2nds. Those 2nds were then used to acquire Connolly, Liles & Stempniak. Ouch.

That's. Not good.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
That's. Not good.

I thought Boychuk went for two seconds that were used on
CARLO
LINDGREN

also I love Boy Toy but didn't the analytics see he was poor this past year

He was playing third pairing in the playoffs

That contract is going to be an interesting follow

Ouch- but it belongs to the Islanders

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Ehhh I know it is a bad contract, but the Bruins won't have cap/money issues for the foreseeable future. I might have made the deal.

Spooner's deal is up. If Pasta, Vatrano and Colin Miller do well then there is more money as well, plus the want for a big ticket defenseman. After this year, Shattenkirk could have flew the coop so you'd be stuck only w Lehtera. Would have been a desperate move and I'm glad they passed.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
"Forget it he's rolling"

Yes the 4 seconds in question were used on Carlo, Lindgren, Lauzon, and JFK

but why let that get in the way of a good rant

The point still stands. If the organization is hitting home runs in round 2, they gave up the equivalent of Carlo Lindgren JFK & Lauzon for Connolly Liles & Stempniak? Either way I see asset mismanagement.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
The point still stands. If the organization is hitting home runs in round 2, they gave up the equivalent of Carlo Lindgren JFK & Lauzon for Connolly Liles & Stempniak? Either way I see asset mismanagement.

They also are crushing 4 & 5

As ISS said deep prospect pool in evert position

Allows Sweeney to try and parlay their playoff spot and take a shot

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Option A: Keep Hamilton & Boychuk
Option B: Trade Hamilton & Boychuk & draft Lauzon Lindgren Carlo & JFK (or equivalent)
Option C: Trade Hamilton & Boychuk, use assets to acquire Liles (resigned as UFA) Connolly (gone) & Stempniak (gone)

Which is the worst option?

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Option B: Trade Hamilton & Boychuk & draft Lauzon Lindgren Carlo & JFK (or equivalent)
Option C: Trade Hamilton & Boychuk, use assets to acquire Liles (resigned as UFA) Connolly (gone) & Stempniak (gone)

When darkness comes //
And pain is all around //
Like a bridge over troubled water //
I will lay me down

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
It would have been a easier transition if Dougie was the franchise defenseman just about everyone thought he would be. Too bad it became clear the his defensive game would never be even "good enough."

So they had to cut bait. It became easier when Dougie didn't want to stay here and play for a coach that wouldn't just be happy to have Dougie's offensive game and live with the rest.

And thank God. The Bruins were tempted to keep him, play him in a top pair spot, and pay a tun to do it.

But anyway, if Dougie was the at least sorta well-rounded 1-2 D guy we'd be in a lot better shape. I'm sure the Bruins would have all out paid him and kissed his butt at that point. Maybe he'd still wanna play in Canada? But that would have really messed with the Bruins plan.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

I like the package they got for Hamilton

I like the guys they drafted with picks for Boychuk

Add Senyshyn to Option B

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Getting really annoyed and fed up with comments like this. I live in MTL. I hate this city and team more than people care to know. I am a Bruins fan through and through. I work for a Junior team, scout, and also work as an educator. I understand the intricacies and different POV that are out there as well as the tough decisions that you encounter when evaluating a team, players, etc, much less a franchise worth close to a billion dollars.
However, I think it's wrong to constantly play Monday morning QB and go back in time in order to make your opinion fit the narrative you are addressing.
Don Sweeney has been on the job for 16 months. He's building the team through the draft. Cap problems have been alleviated. Prospect cupboard is full on every level. Team has missed playoffs the last 2 years with 96 and 93 pts respectively. Team was good enough to make it but the players failed. Last year at the deadline team was 4th in the NHL. No GM in history would have sold pieces at that time. DS is trying to rebuild through the draft and build around the core which just added another Top C in Backes. I repeat, how can GM do a full rebuild when core and team was playing very well and close to 100 pts?? Trade Loui at the deadline. move him at the draft, go get Shattenkirk. WTF man. DS tried to re-sign Loui and just staying in talks till the end was so smart. It gave him the chance to communicate with Backes as backup if Loui went elsewhere. He obviously wanted 6 years and to go play with Sedins so what did you want our GM to do?? Oops, i forgot. He traded Velveeta cheese Dougie Hamilton and everyone lost it on him. Anyone in their right mind with a touch of hockey IQ knows Hamilton did not have TOP Pairing D in his DNA. Soft, not intense, and definitely lost when it comes to the D part of his game. You know DEFEND, what a DEFENCEMAN is there to do. Didn't have Z cleaning up his mess in CALGARY did he? So, ya trade for Shattenkirk. Umm, Bruins just drafted a better, younger, more complete version this past June. Anyone notice how BAD he was in the playoffs!?? Exposed every night, time and time again. Brutal. So Sweeney trading for him and having to pay HIM 7M$ and take on another Blues contract was what everyone wanted our GM to do!?? Like seriously. Enough.
Everyone knows Bruins need a D on the top pairing. Even my grandma who is from the mountains of Friuli, Italy knows this. The season hasn't started yet people. Rookie camp is starting tomorrow. Btw, DS STILL HAS ALL HIS ASSETS. I think the players need to take responsibility here and make it happen. Miller, Morrow, Carlo, O' Gara,...etc..they want to be a part of the solution. Go out there and make it happen. The G depth is better now. Should push Rask and Subban. F depth is there. Moore, Nash, Mueller, are moves that are being made for next April. That's a good things. Stability and trust can be built early on and give one of the BEST coaches in the League options and versatility and experience to help with the peaks and valleys that will come into play with the younger players.
This team is on the right track. I know that 1D eludes our team still but maybe just maybe patience will serve well at this time.
Over and Out.
D
. I was at State Street pavilion tonight at Sox game beforehand and was talking about the World Cup and the Bruins guys and a friend said this was the best damn post ever written here :laugh:

I concur

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad