A Bridge Too Far

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I have no beef with Sweeney. No GM will bat 1000. He's gone out and added tons of youth. Like you, I hope they pan out. But I do think most recent transactions show that Sweeney took less than he should have in exchange for Dougie (who while I was never a big fan, is young and has potential to improve significantly).

Sweeney has drafted well. Skilled character guys. And he hasn't been afraid to skip over consensus top players to choose his guys.

Imo it's ok to criticize Sweeney for a botched move or two, while still being content with his overall performance. I'm a fan of Sweeney, just not a fan of his Hamilton return.

Back on subject, will Sweeney make a move to acquire a top-4 veteran to help the current roster compete now?

Bouwmeester
Burns
Bogosian
Girardi

I don't think he will or should

What he needs to do is make sure Claude give guys an opportunity and the easiest way is to stay away from adding another Matt Irwin.

The price of acquiring a top 4 is outrageous

This D is a few rungs better than the one they stated with last year- Liles upgrade over Irwin; Seidenberg gone, Krug healthy without a bad shoulder - the Millers older & more experienced and two college all Americans signed; the 2015 CHL guys a year older and more experienced

By my estimation they have 12 guys 25 and under who project as top 6

I'm counting Krug here who is only 24

The life blood of successful teams is draft & development

Look at the Red Sox & Patriots- the 2008-2015 Bruins relied on many players developed here

I want home grown guys and by my view they got them

Last edited:

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I don't think anyone can say that Dougie doesn't have great talent,but I think he makes some mind boggling blunders and is in no way physical enough. It also appears he was less then happy here and somewhat of a loner,don't know if that affects the locker room at all for a third defenseman.

Can't say I disagree with any of that.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
You keep referencing zone starts in your comparisons, but you are leaving out who Dougie was playing against for a good chunk of the year...third line players. So, Dougie had ONLY 12% more offensive zone starts and didn't need to be sheltered...against inferior competition.

I don't think there is a snowball's chance in hell that Chia would have traded Hall for Dougie.

2 things.

1) You are wrong about his QOC. He was 3rd on the team http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67

2) Lots of research out there now suggest that quality of competition is overrated for MOST players, as it tends to even out over time, especially as 1/2 the time teams are playing on the road.

Also, as I said Dougie was 3rd on CGY in QOC. Krug was 5th on Boston. Hamilton started 50% zone starts on O, Krug 55%. Yet I don't recall you talking about Krug being sheltered and protected by Claude.

Why is that?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
2 things.

1) You are wrong about his QOC. He was 3rd on the team http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67

2) Lots of research out there now suggest that quality of competition is overrated for MOST players, as it tends to even out over time, especially as 1/2 the time teams are playing on the road.

Also, as I said Dougie was 3rd on CGY in QOC. Krug was 5th on Boston. Hamilton started 50% zone starts on O, Krug 55%. Yet I don't recall you talking about Krug being sheltered and protected by Claude.

Why is that?

As far as I can recall, I never got on Clode for "sheltering" Dougie when he was here either? As far as Krug goes, I like him a helluva lot better than Dougie, so you will probably never catch me saying a bad thing about him :laugh:

I have not been shy about my dislike for Dougie's game the last couple of seasons, with Boston and after he left. I just don't like the way he plays the game and how butter soft he is. Krug is 5'8-9" and Dougie is 6'6", but they play like those numbers are reversed. I literally watched him get pushed around in front of his own net by Nathan Gerbe (all 5'6" of him). In addition, Krug's work ethic is off the charts and he's supposedly a great leader. He's still young and I expect him to be wearing a letter when the kids the B's drafted are playing well in the NHL.

You will have to forgive me if I'm doing this wrong, but I looked at the charts you linked, Dougie's Corsi Relative QOC is .065, while Krug's is .307. I'm assuming that the higher the number, the better the score? So, while math is not my strong suit, it would appear that Krug (despite being 5th on the B's) still has a better rating than Dougie, whether he was 3rd on Calgary or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad