Prospect Info: 9OA: Nate Danielson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I believe there were players with higher ceilings and floors available than Danielson. I'm not super thrilled, but we shall see.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007

He was the only decent player in his team

Wonder if the Wings could convince him to go play in the SHL for a season. He's turning 19 in September so he is only locked out of the AHL for one more year.

I suspect that is also part of the impetus for drafting him. They get control of him in one year.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Can't say I know anything about this guy outside of noticing him a lot in mocks/big boards etc. as a name that appeared but not really a guy that intrigued me. Quick! Someone give me a breakdown and links so I can come to entirely uninformed and rushed conclusion about him!

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I had Michkov at #2 so yeah if trading in the NHL in the top 10 outside of for established players was a thing by all means.

I think Danielson's ability to impact the game regularly was the reason I had him in the top 10. Not saying it is the sexiest way, but all you see when you turn on a game with him is him around the puck and play constantly. Playing with pace, physicality and making plays. Just routinely over and over. No matter if his team is getting caved, but just over and over. A relentlessness is what I saw when I watched Danielson. A guy with pace, north south hockey sense that had one of if not the best motor in this draft in my opinion.

People can talk about low skill, I disagree. My biggest thing and I have said it a lot this season is we need more pace and to be harder play against. He transports the puck well, gets controlled entries while playing with defensive bite. That is important to winning, might sound like a small thing but you need guys like this to go places in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
The more highlights I watch the more excited I get. This kid looks kind of nasty

Edit: holy shit he’s so fast
The one thing I noticed with him is his skating. I don't see a lot of offensive flashes but his edgework, acceleration, speed, and agility are all top notch. Probably has the best skating of anyone in our system.

Balance and ability to stay on his feet under pressure didn't look super great. Blew a few tires in his videos.

The Wings need to have him work on his wrist shot because he could be a nightmare for opposing goalies off the rush. If he gets a wrist shot he could score 20 in the NHL just on his skating.

I think it would do wonders for him to get out of the WHL and play in a men's league. Send him to Rogle or Frolunda.

Last edited:

Al48

Apr 23, 2020
I had Michkov at #2 so yeah if trading in the NHL in the top 10 outside of for established players was a thing by all means.

I think Danielson's ability to impact the game regularly was the reason I had him in the top 10. Not saying it is the sexiest way, but all you see when you turn on a game with him is him around the puck and play constantly. Playing with pace, physicality and making plays. Just routinely over and over. No matter if his team is getting caved, but just over and over. A relentlessness is what I saw when I watched Danielson. A guy with pace, north south hockey sense that had one of if not the best motor in this draft in my opinion.

People can talk about low skill, I disagree. My biggest thing and I have said it a lot this season is we need more pace and to be harder play against. He transports the puck well, gets controlled entries while playing with defensive bite. That is important to winning, might sound like a small thing but you need guys like this to go places in my opinion.
I keep hearing things like this “you need guys like this”. Where are the other guys coming from? You know, the ones that put the actual puck in the actual net?

Reactions: rangersblues

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If his name was Matthew Michaels more people would.

Last edited by a moderator:

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
It feels like we're building what Carolina has. I don't see that as a cup contender as of yet (I don't view Carolina as a real contender either and never have with their current core) unless one of these centers becomes an elite top 10 in the league C (could happen, alot of things change year to year), but I have no doubt this is at least on track to becoming a regular second round and possibly 3rd round team.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Some information:

Danielson was named co-captain of his WHL team during his draft season and has played a big all-situations role for Brandon. He was one of the top play-drivers in the WHL this season and was named a second team All-Star in the eastern division of the WHL. Danielson was over a point per game the prior season. He was invited to Canada's U20 camp in the summer and their U18 camp the summer prior. He was the No. 5 pick in his WHL Bantam Draft.

Danielson is a well-rounded center who has a lot of NHL traits. He's a big body who skates and competes well, which when combined with his offensive touch, allows him to be effective in a lot of situations. He has an excellent stick, and is able to beat defenders with skill at NHL speeds often. He makes a lot of plays with pace but also shows the vision and shot threat to run a power play off the edge. Danielson is a competitive two-way center who wins a good share of puck battles and can kill penalties. He looks like a potential high-in-the-lineup all-situations center in the NHL.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
It feels like we're building what Carolina has. I don't see that as a cup contender as of yet (I don't view Carolina as a real contender either and never have with their current core) unless one of these centers becomes an elite top 10 in the league C (could happen, alot of things change year to year), but I have no doubt this is at least on track to becoming a regular second round and possibly 3rd round team.
No way. They always take the best offensive ranked talent when available in the draft. We seem to specifically target “bigger” guys. Someone like Johnny Hockey could have fallen to us in the draft and we’d still pass.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
No way. They always take the best offensive ranked talent when available in the draft. We seem to specifically target “bigger” guys. Someone like Johnny Hockey could have fallen to us in the draft and we’d still pass.

Johnny Hockey did fall to everyone in the draft and they all passed, most of them several times.

Reactions: Ezekial

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad