Prospect Info: 9OA: Nate Danielson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Watching the tape, he seems to have all the tools to be highly successful. Good head for the game, great wheels, good size and plays a premium position. Did not have much support on his team so his stats don't jump out but after not knowing much about him. I am pleased we got him where we did. People can argue upside but we are building the back end and through the middle pretty well since Steve arrived, the complimentary players can come later.

Heard one scout mention you can always draft pure offense players but not often you get a guy that really does it all. You can't coach that into most guys.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Massive failure imo. He's a late birthday so a year older than most of the players drafted. He's barely a point a game player in a league that hasn't won a Memorial Cup in 10 years. Lucky if he's a 3rd line centre.
Reminds me of Nolan Patrick. :( I hope I'm wrong! Who am I doubt infallible Yzerman?!

raymond23

lgrw
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Honestly, it's really a pick that's like a middling tuna salad sandwich. It's not bad, but it's also just kinda 'meh' and nothing to write home about.

But for a second, think about picking a guy who is described widely as topping out as a #2 center in the top 10 when you don't even have a real #1 center. It's like they're preparing for a future as a playoff bubble team.
Seider was widely described as a second pairing defensive defenseman...

Zadina was widely described as a first line sniper...

Lafreniere was widely described as a franchise winger...

There are countless similar examples. No one knows what these guys will look like in a few years.

Can we pin this?

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
The highlight video is underwhelming for the first 2/3 and then he turns into a beast.
One thing that really pops to me in that video is that the rest of the team can't keep up with him.

He blows through the defense to gain the zone and has no support.

He passes to a teammate who bobbles the puck.

He throws the puck into the slot and no one is there.

If the guy had someone like Benson on his wing he probably has more points than Savoie.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland

You can see a lot of the rush offense I was talking about in the second video.

New that is f***ing impressive. I mean really. Never watched his highlights but it seems he can do it all.

I mean that relentless forecheck coupled with understanding of where the play develops and good Puck control. Now I understand why Bedard said he was the most difficult to play against. Slightly reminds me Zetterberg in his young years.

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013
Excited about Kasper and Danielson down the middle, but unless they are able to get higher end talent it may be a team in the future that goes to the Final one year if things go their way but not more than that

Last edited:
Reactions: DamonDRW

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

You can see a lot of the rush offense I was talking about in the second video.

Yeah kid looks legit, especially if you consider that part of the appeal is a strong defensive game which isn’t going to show up on highlight reels.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Instinctually. I like it when Yzerman immediately stands after going on the clock to make his pick. This was definitely his pick. Nate was the guy he wanted and no reason to delay.

Young for the draft, but many writers think he is one of the closest players in the draft to being NHL ready.

Toughest opponent Bedard played against. Maybe there will be Selke conversations latter in life.

Sounds like a pretty good foundational hockey player.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Instinctually. I like it when Yzerman immediately stands after going on the clock to make his pick. This was definitely his pick. Nate was the guy he wanted and no reason to delay.

Young for the draft, but many writers think he is one of the closest players in the draft to being NHL ready.

Toughest opponent Bedard played against. Maybe there will be Selke conversations latter in life.

Sounds like a pretty good foundational hockey player.
I agree with this but he is old for the draft not young

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Who's the 2nd best prospect at WHL after Bedard ?

Executive 2: “Danielson. He has so much going for him. He’s a great skater, the size down the middle, he has skill, hockey sense, he plays both ways. He could be a better skating version of Anton Lundell."

Scout 2: “Danielson has an easy path to being a top two-line NHL center. He skates very well, he’s smart, he competes, he has NHL size. People are sleeping on him.”

Executive 3: “Danielson has a lot of NHL in him, a ton of upside between his size, skating and skill. He didn’t have as much around him as the other top guys, but he would have put up a lot of points on a different team.”

Scout 4: “I lean Danielson. He looks like a no-doubt NHL center, a guy who is going to play for a long time and be very good for you. I can’t sit here and promise you big point totals, maybe they come, maybe they don’t, but you can pick him and sleep easy.”

Executive 5: “It’s between Danielson and Honzek for me. I lean Danielson because of the position. Both have NHL bodies and skating ability, produce offense and are two-way guys.”

These were some pre-draft comments from unknown hockey professionals.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Chicago drafts Bedard. Detroit drafts the Bedard 'nuetralizer'...

"This shit is chess. It isn't checkers" - Alonzo Harris
I think we had a Bedard neutralizer in Kasper. I don’t get why so many people here seem to slap Kasper as our 3C like that’s his upside.

In my post-Benson world moving forward, Danielson on Kasper’s wing or vice versa would make for a good line.

Reactions: Air Budd Dwyer

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
I think we had a Bedard neutralizer in Kasper. I don’t get why so many people here seem to slap Kasper as our 3C like that’s his upside.

In my post-Benson world moving forward, Danielson on Kasper’s wing or vice versa would make for a good line.

We keep getting screwed in the lottery, and Yzerman knows we can't get the home run pick, so he's planning on rolling 4 solid lines. It makes sense. When life gives you demons, you make demonade.

RedHawkDown

Aug 26, 2011
Canada
We keep getting screwed in the lottery, and Yzerman knows we can't get the home run pick, so he's planning on rolling 4 solid lines. It makes sense. When life gives you demons, you make demonade.
I think we had the home run pick in Benson right there. Last year I was very happy with Kasper because I don’t think a similar upside guy was available otherwise. This year, there was.

Time will tell. But I think we will regret this.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
I think we had the home run pick in Benson right there. Last year I was very happy with Kasper because I don’t think a similar upside guy was available otherwise. This year, there was.

Time will tell. But I think we will regret this.

I was hoping for Benson as well. On the other hand, we should match up well against Buffalo's lack of size up front in the future.

Hot Wings

Mar 1, 2023
I was hoping for Benson as well. On the other hand, we should match up well against Buffalo's lack of size up front in the future.
Thompson, Cozens, Tuch, Greenway, Mittelstadt and Quinn aren’t exactly midgets. In fact, I think they have more size moving forward upfront than we do.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Wise team building isn't putting all your eggs in one basket. Most cup teams have a #3C that really is a top 6 center. This allows for those guys to develop and compete against each other for ice time and bigger roles. Given what we know about both players that is a very good thing.

Reactions: SoupNazi

RedHawkDown

Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Wise team building isn't putting all your eggs in one basket. Most cup teams have a #3C that really is a top 6 center. This allows for those guys to develop and compete against each other for ice time and bigger roles. Given what we know about both players that is a very good thing.
Can you show your work?

Chicagos cup teams did not have a top 6 C as 3C. Neither did LA. not Colorado last year. You could argue Vegas did this year. Tampa definitely didn’t.

Reactions: Henkka

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
Thompson, Cozens, Tuch, Greenway, Mittelstadt and Quinn aren’t exactly midgets. In fact, I think they have more size moving forward upfront than we do.

Good point. My mistake. I guess what I should have said was '2-way'. To me, Kasper was a much better pick than Savoie because K is a better 2-way prospect. The same for Danielson/Benson.

Reactions: Hot Wings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad