Prospect Info: 9OA: Nate Danielson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
No way. They always take the best offensive ranked talent when available in the draft. We seem to specifically target “bigger” guys. Someone like Johnny Hockey could have fallen to us in the draft and we’d still pass.
And yet Carolina are still offensively challenged.

Carolina is build around an elite D core and two-way centers.

Player size and who plays on the wing aside, that's what Carolina is built around and theyre designed to win low scoring hockey games. That's where it seems we're headed.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Between him and Kasper, the Wings are legitimately going to be a nightmare team to play against soon, I have no doubt.

People will bemoan the lack of flash but when spring hits and the playoffs tighten up the game, these are the players you want.
You have to make the playoffs first, man. This was our chance to get elite skill that we lack and we didn’t do it.

Reactions: Konnan511

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
And yet Carolina are still offensively challenged.

Carolina is build around an elite D core and two-way centers.

Player size and who plays on the wing aside, that's what Carolina is built around and theyre designed to win low scoring hockey games. That's where it seems we're headed.

What has Carolina won lately ?

Still 0 wins at Conference finals. Funny how they'll reach the Top4 of NHL every year, beating the easier opponents with superior fancy stats and then bust hard.

It has to be somekind of overachieving, and then not being the real contender.

I've started thinking that Rod BrindAmour is a too good coach for them. The player material is not anywhere at Top4 level, but they achieve it. Players will get overpaid, thanks to system, not as individuals. And then they'll always lose for teams with better player material, and as well coached teams as BrindAmour's.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
What has Carolina won lately ?

Still 0 wins at Conference finals. They'll reach the Top4 of NHL, and then bust hard. It has to be somekind of overachieving, and then not being the real contender.
Yeah its almost like I acknowledged that when I said exactly that?

"Not a cup contender but a team that will frequent the 2nd round and sometimes the 3rd round"

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Danielson has some real potential as a creator of rush offense, which we lack. His skating is great and he has a hard shot. More of an adaptive puck handler than creative one, but he's got good puck protection skills. His playmaking is a work in progress but there have been flashes. He's hard to play against in his own zone and good in transition. Overall a pretty raw prospect with a ton of potential and a projectable profile.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
This is a grown up pick. You build from the blueline and middle out and you need to pick guys who actually profile as centers. I am totally happy with this pick.

Danielson had a faceoff win percentage of 52.6 and had the 8th most attempts in the WHL. With his skating and faceoff experience he's pretty much a surefire C.

At that point in the draft, it was probably a choice between Danielson and Dvorsky as far as addressing a need at C. Danielson is a much better skater.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I do not understand the concerns about his ceiling if I’m being honest.

Nate D gives me serious Nate M vibes. Obviously he is not on Mackinnon’s level but his puck handling at speed combined with a powerful frame is eerily similar. He has got a long way to go before we can even call him “Mackinnon-lite” but I think there is a very high potential package here.

I love the pick.

Last edited:

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I can't seem to find the post but someone had said "read his scouting report and it's basically the Center version of Seider's report"...and I kind of get that.

Seider's original "huh?! who?" reaction (myself included) kind of ended up with a frantic search around looking for info and the overwhelming consensus opinion from the "experts" was - low profile, unimpressive, second tier league/team with middling results and not a lot of coverage. A solid, low maintenance, steady defenseman. Liked his size, maybe that could be something, but really not any offense to speak of. Seems like a good, low risk, middle pair Defense with some size. Really like his defensive presence and maturity, that was easy to project into the NHL but limited upside - end report.

Except with him there was all this kind of "huh, that's interesting" things like - he was so young in a men's league. Played a lot of minutes in key situations for a professional men's team despite his low point totals. Teammates and coaches raved about him, etc. Showed off and well in international play against his peer group, etc. etc. Like there was hints that this was more situational and he was doing the things that we asked of him without complaint, to help his team win and just didn't have the flash and the offensive dazzle that would draw any real attention to him. He was quiet, unassuming, and just took care of business.

Fast forward to Danielson, and you kind of get the exact same feel. This guy is a "meat and potatoes" player, not a lot of flash but is good at everything but doesn't have that "wow" factor. He's unassuming in his play and his numbers don't jump out at you (not exactly a slouch either), it's really the anecdotes in the same way it was with Seider. Bedard says he was the hardest to play against, Benson saying it was a real battle for Manitoba against Danielson. He was a captain as a 17 year old with his team, also not normal and has the respect of his team mates and when he talks, they listen. When playing on a super junior teams of Canada, he held his own international comp with talented teammates. Professional scouts have him ranked super high (within the Top 10) while the magazines and pundits have him in the 20's+. Like all this little stuff about him that kind of adds up to something more being there then just this 50pt ceiling, offensively limited defensive prospect.

Again it all feels like it's more situational, and there is something there, like there was with Seider.

At the very least we know we have a 6'2" 190+ Center - which is comparable to Carlsson and Fantilli in size for C's, and that's about it in the 1st Rd. So, a solid frame. We also know this kid is fast. We know he plays defense and he's good at it. So literally at the very bare minimum, we have a big, strong, fast, and defensibly responsible center.

The open ended question is...just how high is his ceiling offensively? Is he Rasmussen? Or is he Seider? ...that's a really interesting question and not one I'm prepared to answer but I like all those other things

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The open ended question is...just how high is his ceiling offensively? Is he Rasmussen? Or is he Seider? ...that's a really interesting question and not one I'm prepared to answer but I like all those other things

X - Larkin - X
X - Kasper - X
X - Danielson - X
X - Copp - X
X - Rasmussen - X

Think we are gonna have pretty good defensive center core.

Someone is gonna move to wing.... nobody will need Veleno...

Murmansk16A

Apr 29, 2022
X - Larkin - X
X - Kasper - X
X - Danielson - X
X - Copp - X
X - Rasmussen - X

Rasmussen has already moved to wing.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
X - Larkin - X
X - Kasper - X
X - Danielson - X
X - Copp - X
X - Rasmussen - X

Copp is probably off the team around the same time Danielson is ready for 2c/3c at this level.

Air Budd Dwyer

Feb 11, 2012
Detroit
I don't follow hockey outside of the Red Wings or the NHL really. So I'll just do what I usually do which is to blindly trust that Yzerman and the Red Wings front office know more about hockey than I do. This logic applies to Brad Holmes and the Lions as well (now that WCF is dead).

Based on the surface level information I know about this kid, I'm happy with the pick. Fills a need, looks like a good skater with offensive talent who could be hard to play against. Sounds like an Yzerman kind of player.

Reactions: cole von cole

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
X - Larkin - X
X - Kasper - X
X - Danielson - X
X - Copp - X
X - Rasmussen - X

I've already move Veleno off with Zadina as inevitable trade chips for something else at this point. I can honestly say if Danielson is as good and committed defensively as they say he is...

This will be an unbelievably good defensive group and I would trust them all to not only be on the PK, but own it

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Honestly, it's really a pick that's like a middling tuna salad sandwich. It's not bad, but it's also just kinda 'meh' and nothing to write home about.

But for a second, think about picking a guy who is described widely as topping out as a #2 center in the top 10 when you don't even have a real #1 center. It's like they're preparing for a future as a playoff bubble team.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Honestly, it's really a pick that's like a middling tuna salad sandwich. It's not bad, but it's also just kinda 'meh' and nothing to write home about.

But for a second, think about picking a guy who is described widely as topping out as a #2 center in the top 10 when you don't even have a real #1 center. It's like they're preparing for a future as a playoff bubble team.
Seider was widely described as a second pairing defensive defenseman...

Zadina was widely described as a first line sniper...

Lafreniere was widely described as a franchise winger...

There are countless similar examples. No one knows what these guys will look like in a few years.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
When watching the draft I believe Sam Constantino said “they got a player they didn’t think they would”

I’m a little surprised by that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad