Prospect Info: 9OA: Nate Danielson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Kasper + Wallinder + Next available 1st Rounder

for

Pettersson w/out an extension.

I don't know why people wouldn't do this...I love kasper, I think Wallinder is going to be great, and that 1st would be almost useless with Pettersson's addition. With all that being said...

Rasmussen - Larkin - DBC
Berggren - Pettersson - Raymond
Soderblom - Danielson - Copp/Compher -->Mazur

To have this in 2 years or so? Are we seriously going to sit here and say that this is not a cup contending/deep playoff run top 9?? Then copp contract runs out and you put mazur there for Soderblom - Danielson - Mazur....come on guys, what in the world is truly wrong with this? They are all under 28!!!!! Larkin would literally be the oldest one lmao
How is Larkin 1C over Petterson???

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
1. I also like Peterson with red Wings .
2. Why would Vancouver trade away him
3. Why not talk about McDavid or Makar on this Danielson board
4. Just 2 month since we draft Danielson ,so far he exceeds my expectations.
5. I got impression from Yzerman that he likes his first round picks

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
was neutral on the pick, but Sy looks like genius here.
For sure, I didn't love it at the time, I thought his upside was a hard-working 3rd liner in this league, but I am pleasantly surprised with his offensive instincts and smarts. I know it's still extremely early, but I think we'll have an absolute 2-way stud on our hands here.

Reactions: lilidk

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Why are we talking about trading for Petterson?
44bb764df998f3cbcb2bd67ea4ae0d47.jpg

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
How is Larkin 1C over Petterson???
because Larkin can play well against top line centers in the league and pettersson would get much more easy matchups at line 2 while completing an all swedish second line. Obviously.

And Larkin's two way play is better than Pettersson, so I would much rather see Larkin play against mcdavid than pettersson.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I would argue that Kaspers first game, with a broken kneecap, I did very much notice him buzzing around the ice, finishing his checks, I think he both created a scoring chance and generated a shot, and started jawing after the whistle.

So to your point, Kasper did pop for me the one time we saw him. Mazur, haven’t seen yet.
I would agree that Kasper's energy level that first game reminded me of Larkin's rookie year. However, I am not sure that energy will result in production.

Danielson's game screams control while still playing an up tempo game. He could easily play 2C. I would rank him ahead of Kasper. Certainly the season is premature, but this kids has surprised with his game and maturity.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I would agree that Kasper's energy level that first game reminded me of Larkin's rookie year. However, I am not sure that energy will result in production.

Danielson's game screams control while still playing an up tempo game. He could easily play 2C. I would rank him ahead of Kasper. Certainly the season is premature, but this kids has surprised with his game and maturity.

There’s a big difference between Kasper and Danielson in play style despite both being similar in talent levels.

Kasper spent 3 years in Sweden which is VERY systems heavy. Kasper may not look as individually skilled but will be a terrific systems executor. I think that’s why he wasn’t a true standout in TC. He wasn’t selfish enough and it impacted potential production.

Nate Danielson played on a no system team and you notice his individual skill a lot more as a result. I think his game rounds off a bit the more he learns the system but like that he seems a bit more willing to be ‘the guy’ than Kasper does with the puck.

I think Kasper will eventually get this. Danielson very clearly has it now.

Reactions: Ulysses31

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
There’s a big difference between Kasper and Danielson in play style despite both being similar in talent levels.

Kasper spent 3 years in Sweden which is VERY systems heavy. Kasper may not look as individually skilled but will be a terrific systems executor. I think that’s why he wasn’t a true standout in TC. He wasn’t selfish enough and it impacted potential production.

Nate Danielson played on a no system team and you notice his individual skill a lot more as a result. I think his game rounds off a bit the more he learns the system but like that he seems a bit more willing to be ‘the guy’ than Kasper does with the puck.

I think Kasper will eventually get this. Danielson very clearly has it now.
Danielson was greedy on a 2 on 1 last night and shot into a block. I see it too

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC

I think the bolded is a wildly overlooked point too. You can look like you play fast and not actually accomplish much at all. Changing tempo to read and react at the pace of a faster-paced game than ever puts you at a real advantage of being a difference maker in the show.

His speed threat + slowing down and scanning around to pick soft spots around the ice to influence the play whether it be offensively or defensively is going to go far (e.g. His goal last night - broken play and he capitalized). That's a very underrated part about him as he's involved in the play and will help him lots as he learns more and more about the pace of the pro game.

To which is why I don't buy the middle-6 upside. He's a slam dunk top-6 C IMO, it's just a matter of how good he can get. Those who watched Brandon play last year got a pretty good feel for how he plays the game with quite literally zero relevant talent on his team.

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
I don’t think that’s greedy. I think it’s just him wanting to take a shot. Greedy is a guy that routinely doesn’t pass to take bad shots all the time.
He was greedy in that play, each instance can be dissected. He could have passed, instead of looked shot all the way and got blocked because the defense read it.
I think the bolded is a wildly overlooked point too. You can look like you play fast and not actually accomplish much at all. Changing tempo to read and react at the pace of a faster-paced game than ever puts you at a real advantage of being a difference maker in the show.

His speed threat + slowing down and scanning around to pick soft spots around the ice to influence the play whether it be offensively or defensively is going to go far (e.g. His goal last night - broken play and he capitalized). That's a very underrated part about him as he's involved in the play and will help him lots as he learns more and more about the pace of the pro game.

To which is why I don't buy the middle-6 upside. He's a slam dunk top-6 C IMO, it's just a matter of how good he can get. Those who watched Brandon play last year got a pretty good feel for how he plays the game with quite literally zero relevant talent on his team.
I am not sure about a slam dunk for any player, but I agree that he looked well in control in Brandon against peers, with him playing this well amongst AHL'ers (Pens didn't have a lot of top 6 talent in the team they brought) he moved up. The big question was how he would do against men and it looks promising.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He was greedy in that play, each instance can be dissected. He could have passed, instead of looked shot all the way and got blocked because the defense read it.
When you're playing with unfamiliar linemates, shooting should be the default decision. If he decides to do that all of the time once he's on the roster, then it's an issue. He hasn't had much help on his WHL team, so it's understandable, and hopefully he'll learn to utilize his teammates better when he plays with better players.

That's where I'm at.

I haven't liked Draper's second round picks, but I know better than to doubt the first pick. Kasper is also a first pick, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt even if I like Daniel-san better.

Agreed after 1 preseason game his future is definitely set.
He also looked good in the prospect tourney and Red/White game. Certainly exceeded expectations so far.

We'll see how he does against legit NHL players.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Glad to see a bunch of people hopping on board, especially the crowd that didn't want the Karate Kid even with the lower first. I have been a big fan of his game for a while, he also provides a ton of things we need in this build. I hope he crushes it in the WHL, I honestly expect him to. Like I said post draft, I don't think he is far away, which was a large part of why the fall birthdate didn't bother me. He will be a pro regardless next year because of where that falls and there is a huge ceiling here, but I expect him in Detroit full time on a quick timeline.

Last edited:

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
He's going to be our top prospect by next off season. Looks like a no-doubt top 6 C at 18. His play with actual talent (such as it is on our team) shows that his production was severely hampered by his teammates. Definitely should have been in more top 5 talks than he was... he's like a young Larkin with an even more refined shot. Huge ceiling on this kid and I'm glad I was not hater.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
He's going to be our top prospect by next off season. Looks like a no-doubt top 6 C at 18. His play with actual talent (such as it is on our team) shows that his production was severely hampered by his teammates. Definitely should have been in more top 5 talks than he was... he's like a young Larkin with an even more refined shot. Huge ceiling on this kid and I'm glad I was not hater.

More refined than the snip show?!? not a chance.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
When you're playing with unfamiliar linemates, shooting should be the default decision. If he decides to do that all of the time once he's on the roster, then it's an issue. He hasn't had much help on his WHL team, so it's understandable, and hopefully he'll learn to utilize his teammates better when he plays with better players.

That's where I'm at.

I haven't liked Draper's second round picks, but I know better than to doubt the first pick. Kasper is also a first pick, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt even if I like Daniel-san better.

He also looked good in the prospect tourney and Red/White game. Certainly exceeded expectations so far.

We'll see how he does against legit NHL players.
The guy played well in the prospect tournament and in a preseason game against scrubs isn't "exceeding" expectations for the 9th overall pick.
Maybe try to calm the hype a bit.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
think with the draft always dealing with perchentages and uncertainty, chickens may have come home to roost on danielson tho.

id rank the picks right now based on info at hand to this point in time:
Sieder: great to homerun pick
Raymond: average to good (for 4OA)
Ed: good to great range
Kasper: average to good (for 9OA)
Cossa: not so hot right now, bit still time to work out
Danielson: looking great
Sandin-Pelican: looking great

(all relative to draft position)

Reactions: lilidk

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Although I certainly am excited about Danielson, I didn't know much about him when we drafted him because he wasn't someone I was seriously considering as a potential pick there (RIP Team Benson). After some really good discussions across these boards around Danielson, happy to see that he was exactly as some of his supporters had suggested... a really good player who hasn't had the opportunity to flash and will surprise. He is a big, strong, all-round pivot who can play both ends of the ice, and impact the game in a lot of different ways. Super happy with the pick.

Two-tangental thoughts to go with this:

1. Generally give the benefit of the doubt to the FO when it comes to 1st Rd picks. When they have truly gone off-script and taken a guy that pundits and columnist (and many of these boards) boo and hiss... it's turned out to be a really strong pick for us, just something to remind ourselves in the future

2. Kasper is a really good player. I get shiny new toy and being excited, but this is not exactly a zero-sum game here. We can subscribe to the idea that both Danielson AND Kasper...are both good. They are very different style guys but Kasper is and will be a significant part of our core going forward and that's a great thing.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The guy played well in the prospect tournament and in a preseason game against scrubs isn't "exceeding" expectations for the 9th overall pick.
Maybe try to calm the hype a bit.
He's playing better than Kasper who was picked #8OA, and the knock on Danielson was his offensive ability. He was labeled as "tough to play against", so yeah, he's exceeding my expectations.

Not to mention Zadina, lol..... Danielson showed more offensive creativity in those games than #6OA Zadina has in his entire NHL career.

I don't remember Raz (also 9OA) looking as good either. His skating sucked. Danielson is pretty fluid.

Edit: Name a Wings prospect that has looked better in his first prospect tourney, first Red/White game, and first preseason game?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad