PGT: 9/18/16 North America vs Finland - North America 4 Finland 1 F

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
have to agree with Winter Soldier Schief seems to me to be growing in to a bergeron..... which would *** amazing ! Also love how he seems to have Chemistry with whomever he plays with. he's a beaut

I recall Canada having to bring Kunitz in for Crosby for Team Canada. Crosby in Vancouver never really meshed with Iggy and whomever he played with.

Bergeron was the answer. He and Crosby are such a good match. See the same thing with Scheifele and McDavid.

totally agree with both of you guys.. which is why I said growing. Would never assume schief is near bergeron's level yet... but his trajectory I feel is the same.

Yep comparison was from a versatility standpoint that both Bergeron/Scheifele have. RW/C. I don't know if Scheifele has Bergeron's defensive acumen, not many have. But can he be as impactful as Bergy. You bet I think he can.

He was arguably one of the top 3 players on team canada this spring already, a gold medal winning team.

Last edited:

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Our defense really got exposed today. Good team defense can't hide the ineptness of our defensemen. Then when Rinne is playing shaky, this is what you get. Team NA is so bloody fast and superskilled, you can't give them any chances. I think they'll surprise a lot of people in this tournament. Elite talent is elite talent, no matter their age.

For Finland, this is a real gut check time. We still control our own destiny, but we pretty much need to defeat both Sweden and Russia. That's a tall mountain, but if we get our confidence back, it can be conquered. Hakkaa päälle.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I think the road gets tougher for Team NA once they move forward. Will have to contend with the bigger more physical teams... Still an impressive show tonight!

Sweden do have a NHL defense!

But still, this team could cause them fits. We shall see.

Also Team North America will beat Russia. Russia will have the same issues as the Finns in defense.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Atleast people aren't losing their **** over Matthews getting 3rd star. Lord knows he deserved it.

I really like Scheif as the complimentary piece on that line.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
You've now spent hours bashing a game you're supposedly not watching. Slow night?

No I've spent a total of about five minutes posting about the biggest farce in international hockey history.

A possible Canada vs North America final? Absolutely hilarious. How do any of you keep a straight face?

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
Ekblad and Rielly weee absolute anchors back there with some amazing transitions all game

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Well that was a bloody murder.

Finland was bad, but team NA was great. No ifs or buts. I don't think I've ever said bad things about Matthews, but he played really well. 3rd star is a legit achievement. And McDavid is insanely good.

Off to sleep an hour or two before work. Congrats to young stars, unbelievable team.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Our defense really got exposed today. Good team defense can't hide the ineptness of our defensemen. Then when Rinne is playing shaky, this is what you get. Team NA is so bloody fast and superskilled, you can't give them any chances. I think they'll surprise a lot of people in this tournament. Elite talent is elite talent, no matter their age.

For Finland, this is a real gut check time. We still control our own destiny, but we pretty much need to defeat both Sweden and Russia. That's a tall mountain, but if we get our confidence back, it can be conquered. Hakkaa päälle.

I think we'll do better against teams that play the more traditional style. This NA team plays a pretty unorthodox style, more like a junior team than a professional team.

jesui

Jan 21, 2011
everywhere
Team NA

Mcdavid ***
Drouin**
Matthews/Gaudreu/Parayko*

Team Finland

Komarov*

That's about it.
Nothing is not lost yet, but it doesn't look very promising:laugh:

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
Mathews played well but I thought Rielly was the best leaf tonight. He was a rock.

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
Not a single bad performance on Team NA tonight.

Not a single good performance on Team Finland. I'd say that they are basically out of the tournament. Can't beat Sweden, and Russia will carve up their defense.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
That was very ugly. It's kinda frustrating that after a long time we have so much elite talent in our player pool but so few players that are ready to play at this level. Especially our D was in no business to stop an all star-team, those missed passes and weak play in front of our own net was painful to watch.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Atleast people aren't losing their **** over Matthews getting 3rd star. Lord knows he deserved it.

Matthews was very impressive again, but both wingers were complementary to McDavid. He was unreal.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg

He played well, knows how to get to the open ice for the passes to open up and is good at controlling the puck along the boards. Definitely deserved it. McDavid had a very strong showing tonight too. I think both those guys love having the puck on their stick and as such Scheifele was feeding them all night and then heading to the scoring area in case a pass opened up or cycling in to support the puck carrier. The three of them work very well together.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Big fan of Parayko and Trochek as far as guys who fly under the radar go. Would like to see Trouba in for Ghost, I think his skill set is more required and Ghost seems to get caught out of position more than the other D-men.
Yep, should definitely sub out a dman that was on the ice for all 4 NA goals in a winning affair.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
No I've spent a total of about five minutes posting about the biggest farce in international hockey history.

A possible Canada vs North America final? Absolutely hilarious. How do any of you keep a straight face?

I actually think that the tournament organizers accidentally made Team North America way too good.

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
Both Matthews and Laine looked good. All is well.

Laine lit up Larkin. Nice dimension to see.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He got all pissy that Laine destroyed him. He looks like he's about to cry everytime I see him and he seems to act like it too. Not denying he's a good player though.

This was the Finnish highlight of the night. I expected Komarov or a vet to step up with a hit. But good of Laine to do this. Got to give the kid credit. It was a good clean hard hit, and Larkin was ok so all is well. That's hockey.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
What the heck, I thought I saw Barkov and Laine maybe three times on the last period! Luckily we have Koivu and Filppula who are all terrific scorers :D

Seriously, can't get anything good out of this game. Marjamäki completely undressed Finland and couldn't get anything going strategy-wise. The decision of using the best offensive line as the fourth line was just a cream on top of the pancake. You win some and lose some, but not being able to utilize every opportunity or possibility is the thing that pisses me off. Utterly terrible coaching and I don't expect it to get any better.

Congratz NA. Hope you guys make all the way! Fantastic team.

Finland D were completely overmatched, and forwards just couldn't get anything going against NA speed. Rinne was horrible, like he was all last season. I seriously don't think Finland has much of a chance with him in goal. He's completely lost his confidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad