PGT: 9/18/16 North America vs Finland - North America 4 Finland 1 F

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
I think Suomi is still in this. You guys can beat both of those teams and move on to the Semis. Finns never quit!!

Not sure about that.

Ovi, Kuznetsov, Kucherov, Panarin, Datysuk etc will feast of Finland's poor defense.

Sweden's defense is probably 2nd best or even best in the tournament. If Finland was so terrible against Team NA's young defense then they are going to be even more frustrated by Sweden's D.

I'm going to predict that Finland won't win a game this tournament.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I heard a lot of excuses when canada was losing in the quarterfinal year after year in whc for example.

Oh I agree, they were better. I was just making a stab at all the people who always claim that their team loses in the WHC or a bronze medal game because of motivation.
Same could be said about this tournament if you want to turn it around. How do you motivate yourself to play against a "fake" national team in a gimmick tournament?

I think most knowledgeable fans, especially those from the Big 6 nations know that the WHC isn't best-on-best. The best Canadians are still battling for Lord Stanley.

Having said that, in the previous 2 years, we've had a good contingent represent Canada. It showed. The 2015 Canadian WHC team in the Czech Republic was an Olympic calibre team. They dominated en route to a 10-0 record defeating Russia 6-1 for Gold. Many Czech fans commented that was the best team they have ever seen at a IIHF World Hockey Championship. Canada outscored the opposition 66-15 in the tournament, it was a complete and total victory over the competition.

Last year, a younger Canadian team at the 2016 WHC went 9-1 en route to consecutive Gold Medal victories. They rebounded from their only loss against a very strong Finnish team. The Canadians crushed the Finns for Gold, the score looked close, but Canada was clearly the best team at the tournament. I believe the shots were something around 33-16 for Canada, I remember we outshot the Finns by roughly a 2 to 1 margin. Canada was obviously the better team.

When Canadians send our best players, we are simply the best hockey nation in the world. 8 of 12 best-on-best Championships, including 4 of the previous 5 (2002 Olympics, 2004 World Cup, 2010 Olympics, 2014 Olympics) reflect that.

Macman

May 15, 2004
How do you motivate yourself to play against a "fake" national team in a gimmick tournament?

By not wanting to lose to that "fake" team, especially to players who some of them are still in their teens. Look at the number of fans who expressed embarrassment at last night's game. I doubt they feel that way when they lose to Sweden or Russia.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
By not wanting to lose to that "fake" team, especially to players who some of them are still in their teens. Look at the number of fans who expressed embarrassment at last night's game. I doubt they feel that way when they lose to Sweden or Russia.

Losing to Sweden would be 10x million worse

May 22, 2016
Finland
I honestly have my doubts for the game against Sweden, as Finland has been completely disorganized troughout the whole tournement. Our younger players need to mature more.

Granlundwillshine

Oct 15, 2013
team NA is easily the most TALENTED team in the tournament, and finlands team is one of the weakest in the tournament talent wise this loss was very expected and atleast i made a good buck off it :D. team NA game is what i call real hockey not some overcoached defensive ********.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I honestly have my doubts for the game against Sweden, as Finland has been completely disorganized troughout the whole tournement. Our younger players need to mature more.

Backs against the wall. Finns got destroyed, no one expects you to beat Russia and Sweden. Full underdog is back.

The Finns can do this, beat Sweden and beat Russia and you're advancing. You guys can definitely beat Russia, Sweden will be tough because of their D. But, you've beat them once before.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Hey, Finns. If you promise to not beat us I promise to never make fun of Olli Jokinen or Aki-Petteri Berg ever again. ;)

Btw, how was Laine vs U-23? Didn't see the game due to it starting at a completely bs time for us Europeans.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Hey, Finns. If you promise to not beat us I promise to never make fun of Olli Jokinen or Aki-Petteri Berg ever again. ;)

Btw, how was Laine vs U-23? Didn't see the game due to it starting at a completely bs time for us Europeans.

The Finns could barely get the puck across the red line. He never stood a chance.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
team NA is easily the most TALENTED team in the tournament, and finlands team is one of the weakest in the tournament talent wise this loss was very expected and atleast i made a good buck off it :D. team NA game is what i call real hockey not some overcoached defensive ********.

Yeah the non-overcoaching really shows. These kids are just given the green light to go for it and it really shows. Not pond hockey out there, but it's clear that once they're in the offensive zone, systems and coaching are thrown out the window and natural talent takes over.

HopsHunting

May 18, 2010
Yeah the non-overcoaching really shows. These kids are just given the green light to go for it and it really shows. Not pond hockey out there, but it's clear that once they're in the offensive zone, systems and coaching are thrown out the window and natural talent takes over.

Which is especially fun to watch since it makes it more creative- something people say the league currently is not.

I've said it for years, but less teams in the NHL would make it creative again. 24 instead of 32 like Betman wants.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
???

We're you in the WJC threads?

We have some of the most obnoxious excuse makers on this board :D

To be fair, the 2016 Canada WJC team had absolutely appalling coaching. When Canadian fans claimed that it might have seemed like an excuse, but I'm not Canadian.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
they beat to the weakest team in the tournament. their defencemen are soft and they will get exposed plus I wonder how the forwards will react once they get punched in the face. but hey their fast.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
they beat to the weakest team in the tournament. their defencemen are soft and they will get exposed plus I wonder how the forwards will react once they get punched in the face. but hey their fast.

That's what they said when NA beat Team Europe. "Wait until they play a REAL team..."

And before that, it was NA U-23 themselves that was supposed to be the punching bags of this tournament. Well, NA has already punched above their weight, regardless what happens from hereon in.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
That's what they said when NA beat Team Europe. "Wait until they play a REAL team..."

And before that, it was NA U-23 themselves that was supposed to be the punching bags of this tournament. Well, NA has already punched above their weight, regardless what happens from hereon in.

really because they beat a European team that was jetlagged had never played together before and was coming off Olympic qualifying games. lost to the Czechs and beat the worst team in the tourney and you say they already punched above their weight class. hardly. win the next 2 games then we will talk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad