PGT: 9/18/16 North America vs Finland - North America 4 Finland 1 F

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
I think Suomi is still in this. You guys can beat both of those teams and move on to the Semis. Finns never quit!!

No.

Too little experience on the defensive front and this was the worst showing I've seen in a long time. They did not look like they even bothered to put up a fight. They did not play like they usually do.

Outmatched.

Paskaksi menee koko homma.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
???

We're you in the WJC threads?

We have some of the most obnoxious excuse makers on this board :D

Some.

Hopefully our good posters stamp them out. I've posted here, and been at live events. No matter what, I always pay respect and shake hands with our opponents like most Canadians. The majority of Canadians are very classy and respectful to our opponents in victory and defeat. The Canadian Way involves being respectful to our enemies.

Look at the USA game, lots of Canadians paid respect following the first game. We vowed vengeance (especially against Kesler--to which we got our revenge), but we were respectful. In the end we got our pound of flesh, however, we definitely showed class.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
No.

Too little experience on the defensive front and this was the worst showing I've seen in a long time. They did not look like they even bothered to put up a fight. They did not play like they usually do.

Outmatched.

Paskaksi menee koko homma.

D is a weakness for Suomi.

One of the issues is, you cannot clog the middle in a collapsing shell defensive zone strategy like you do on big ice. The game is too fast with the best players and smaller ice.

Passive play does not work on the big ice. Aggression and intensity mean more when the play is faster.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
???

We're you in the WJC threads?

We have some of the most obnoxious excuse makers on this board :D

AGree 110% Our nation is to hockey like Brazil is to soccer, not in a good way. Goalie lets in bad goal, fire him, shoot him on the spot, kick him out of the country :laugh: And these are kids not adult teams

I will admit Virtanen deserved some hate last yr, fringe pro at that time too so fair game but country is spoiled too much when we lose crybaby excuse makers come out in waves.

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
D is a weakness for Suomi.

One of the issues is, you cannot clog the middle in a collapsing shell defensive zone strategy like you do on big ice. The game is too fast with the best players and smaller ice.

Passive play does not work on the big ice. Aggression and intensity mean more when the play is faster.

I'd just like to see some fight. Also, Rinne should really retire.

Painful to watch all around.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I'd just like to see some fight. Also, Rinne should really retire.

Painful to watch all around.

It was a tough one. Our kids punched you in the mouth and the Finns tucked their tails, haven't seen that in a long time. Team NA simply dominated, no other words to say it.

Finns are tougher than that, you guys do not quit. Go fight back and beat SWE and RUS. Do that and you are advance. Suomi controls their own destiny.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I sure hope Finnish fans aren't taking this seriously.

You lost to team Frankenstein in the Bettman Cup. A Euro-tour loss has more meaning.

the team Frankenstien is actually funny.

Last edited:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Ok I got two pages into this god forsaken thread and skipped to here but I am going to take a guess how the next 8 pages of the thread went. I think Guns and Roses wrote a song about it.

Team NA was very fun to watch

Team NA prospect pumping fans are not quite as amazing.

Don Corleone

Jul 9, 2013
Best game of the tournament so far. Just excellent hockey by any standards, would have been even better if the Finns could have done something but then again if the opponent plays the trap like Sweden then maybe not. Team NA looks dangerous and I for sure am rooting for them to make it out of the group, heck I would love it if they won the damn thing :) I love teams that play with skill, speed and look to score at all times. For me team NA plays the game the way it should be played, so does Canada. For example Sweden and Russia might have been the battle of better teams but it sure as hell wasn't enjoyable to watch.

Also I wonder if the purists will start to change their opinion about the tournament. Unless you are biased or maybe Finnish how could you not have loved the game yesterday. It was better than anything that the Worlds Championships can offer. Even the Olympics as a whole are certainly worse in terms of quality, unless someone considers watching a bunch of incompetent teams battle it out against the better ones better.

Last edited:

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
AGree 110% Our nation is to hockey like Brazil is to soccer, not in a good way. Goalie lets in bad goal, fire him, shoot him on the spot, kick him out of the country :laugh: And these are kids not adult teams

I will admit Virtanen deserved some hate last yr, fringe pro at that time too so fair game but country is spoiled too much when we lose crybaby excuse makers come out in waves.

So it is okay to heap abuse on a nineteen year old Virtanen? Pretty selective about choosing your scapegoats.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Some.

Hopefully our good posters stamp them out. I've posted here, and been at live events. No matter what, I always pay respect and shake hands with our opponents like most Canadians. The majority of Canadians are very classy and respectful to our opponents in victory and defeat. The Canadian Way involves being respectful to our enemies.

Look at the USA game, lots of Canadians paid respect following the first game. We vowed vengeance (especially against Kesler--to which we got our revenge), but we were respectful. In the end we got our pound of flesh, however, we definitely showed class.

I love Canada but away too many of our hockey fans on HFboards are arrogant. This group is anything but classy and respectful to opponents although the image is nice the reality is far different IMO.

Sportsmanship and the Internet go together like ice cream and onions. :laugh:

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Finn Fans needed a taste of that humble pie, hopefully it dials them back a bit.

Lol.

Lataba76

Sep 6, 2015
I ve never seen a so unorganized finnish Team! A horrible defence. So many mistakes. This is very strange for me. This is different than usual.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I love Canada but away too many of our hockey fans on HFboards are arrogant. This group is anything but classy and respectful to opponents although the image is nice the reality is far different IMO.

Sportsmanship and the Internet go together like ice cream and onions. :laugh:

Internet =/= reality.

Some of our Canadian fans go overboard. But, I've been to lots of events and most fans at the arena are very respectful.

I've drank beers/had shots with fans from all of the Big 6 and smaller hockey nations at various events, Canadian fans are generally amongst the most respectful to their opponent fans. Don't let internet comments reflect how fans actually behave.

Look at Leaf fans, they have a rep here. But, they are probably some of the best fans in the NHL (after Oilers fans :)). Look up: Leaf fans singing American Anthem. Leaf fans in real life do not reflect Leaf fans on HF. I say this as an Oiler fan who hates the Leafs.

Look at the 2015 WJC, the Toronto fans adopted the Danes as their own. When we go to Europe for the WJC or WHC, we always end up having fun with locals. I must say, of all the fans, I think Latvians might be the most fun. Those guys love hockey and can outdrink us all, they have to be some of the funnest people I've ever met in my travels.

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
Finn Fans needed a taste of that humble pie, hopefully it dials them back a bit.

Lol.

?

Based on a small number of homers?

Being humble is a characteristic very common in Finnish culture. Braggarts aren't liked and achievements often treated with modesty. Quiet, socially awkward. In other words, perfect for me. :)

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Ehhh.

When we lose, we tip our hat. When you lose, excuses come out. Different cultures I guess?

I heard a lot of excuses when canada was losing in the quarterfinal year after year in whc for example.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The MacKinnon/Nugent-Hopkins/Drouin line has been consistently the best line for the NA team. They defend well, get the puck quickly up the ice and have the ability to cycle if things don't go their way quickly.

Henri M

Dec 12, 2012
Or Team NA was better?

Occam's Razor, generally the more simple explanation applies.

Oh I agree, they were better. I was just making a stab at all the people who always claim that their team loses in the WHC or a bronze medal game because of motivation.
Same could be said about this tournament if you want to turn it around. How do you motivate yourself to play against a "fake" national team in a gimmick tournament?

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
They will lose to Russia and Sweden.

Au contraire: I believe NA will beat Russia and maybe even by a larger margin than us. Simply because of their insane skill and speed, and the fact that Russia is notorious for underperforming as well as completely mailing it in when they are down 3 goals or more. Hopefully nobody will goon it up.

Sweden might have enough of quality in their D to stop team NA's firepower, but I expect them to go through some major pains.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad