OT: 87th Obsequious Banter Thread: Don't be Brash

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
You are 17x more likely to end up in the hospital than your immunized counterpart

The vaccine covers delta ~50% and alpha ~90%

You are 2.34x more likely to become reinfected with covid than your immunized counterpart

Viral load in the immunized person rapidly drops toward zero stating at day 6 of infection vs day 10 or so in the unvaccinated

2,000 out of 173 million vaccinated individuals have died since rollout

Side effects other than general malaise and headache, which subside within 2 days, are exceedingly rare

ER visits and hospitalizations in adults and children are higher in states with lower vaccination rates and lower in states with higher vaccination rates, which means the contribution you make when getting vaccinated makes a difference not only for the individual but for the community.

You're wasting your time, only the consequences of their actions effecting their direct life or the lives of their loved ones will change these peoples minds.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
The vaccinated person is not 17x more protected, they're 17x less likely to be admitted to the hospital.

The reason is because immunization trains your body into recognizing the virus more quickly and more efficiently than in the unvaccinated counterpart. These hours and days saved are vital in containing a viral infection and stopping it from becoming raging covid pneumonia and results in the marked and evident decrease in severity. A new strain doesn't make the virus unrecognizable and therefore is why a vaccine still offers a) some protection from overall infection and b) great protection against severe illness.
Come on, you knew that’s I meant when I said protected. Poorly chosen choice of wording on my part.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
RIP Omar/Chalky

Devastating. What an immense talent.

Rest in Peace, Rest in Power

5ee005804ff30.image.jpg

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I keep seeing this Israel study posted as some kind of "vaccines are not that good" thing.

But when you go and read it in full... the Israel study kind of actually shows how amazing they are. Dont know really how it is being seen as a negative.

In 16,000 people who were vaccinated in the study there were only 238 breakthrough infections. 1.49% of people in the study.

Yeh, getting the virus provided better protection in that study vs vaccination...

but 0.12% vs 1.49% had a breakthrough infection... yeh, 13x more. But only 1.49% is still so freaking good. And ofc once factor in fact that catching COVID when unvaccinated comes with some pretty bad possibilities...

And the numbers vs symptomatic were 191/16,000... so 1.19%.

And also only 8 people of the 238 breakthroughs were hospitalised. 3.36%. And none died.

(and there is an Oxford study and a CDC study in Kentucky that have the opposite results of the Israel study in regards to vaccinated vs caught Covid too... saying vaccine was slightly better)
We’re those numbers including people that had covid before and then got vaccinated?
Not a gotcha, honest question.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
We’re those numbers including people that had covid before and then got vaccinated?
Not a gotcha, honest question.

Nope, two groups, one that had been vacced and one that had caught covid.

As most Euro/Middle Eastern nations until a couple of months ago were not vaccing anyone who had caught it and recovered... partially to conserve doses when people already had some immunity.

Reactions: Lord Defect

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Nope, two groups, one that had been vacced and one that had caught covid.

As most Euro/Middle Eastern nations until a couple of months ago were not vaccing anyone who had caught it and recovered... partially to conserve doses when people already had some immunity.
Thank you kindly

Reactions: Appleyard

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
One more post on vaccination- just got this email from Bill Nelson who is the NASA administrator (i.e., my boss although way up the food chain; the bolded is his, not mine):

I’m writing you from Johnson Space Center, but I’m thinking of the entire NASA family across the country. And, as a family, we must consider our role in keeping ourselves and our co-workers safe from COVID-19.

Since the end of May, when the Delta variant started to spread, I’ve learned of at least five deaths in our family. Each one is a tragic loss, creating a void in the hearts of their loved ones. I’ve personally lost a family member to COVID-19. Sadly, I know many of you have, too.
NASA prioritizes safety by following the science – and the science is clear. Our best line of defense against COVID-19 is vaccinnation. Every rigorous study shows the vaccines are safe and effective. As of Aug. 1, unvaccinated individuals accounted for 99% of COVID-19 deaths.
For all of us to remain healthy and be able to work together, it’s essential that all members of the NASA family who are eligible to receive the vaccine do so.

All of us have been asked to indicate if we have been vaccinated. Please complete the Certification of Vaccination form if you have not done so already.
For members of the NASA family who are coming on site and remain unvaccinated, weekly testing will be required effective Sept. 20.
But weekly testing is not a long-term solution. It will not keep us from catching COVID-19 and threatening NASA’s mission.

Today, I’m simply asking you to think about our family, take care of each other, and get vaccinated if you have not done so already.
Consider it part of our mission. Every one of you is critical to the success of NASA’s mission and our nation’s mission to end this pandemic.

Stay safe.
Bill Nelson

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I didn’t realize he was gay, just thought he was committed to the part.

Not that it matters, but he himself said he did not identify as gay though he spoke of gay experiences in his past. However, three of his biggest roles were gay characters that had to deal with the struggle of being a gay black man, hence the "black queer icon" label.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Come on, you knew that’s I meant when I said protected. Poorly chosen choice of wording on my part.
But that's not what you said, and that's how things get misconstrued. It's important to make these distinctions and to properly word things in science and medicine, and the general populace is learning this. And getting frustrated with us calling us liars and fence sitters and accusing us of going back and forth

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
What kind of piece of shit do you have to be to send hate messages to athletes like Sloan Stephens. I know this isn’t the first time but JFC what a bunch of goddamn cowards

Every day I get little reminders of why my growing life dream to move to the Yukon is a good idea :laugh:

People are just too easily transformed into loons

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I didn’t realize he was gay, just thought he was committed to the part.

He was not... but was an icon for LGBT community for embracing them etc.

He also acted in When we Rise, playing a HIV positive vet activist.

And was a Pride regular. And worked for the Human Rights Campaign striving towards equal marriage rights. The guy really did, with his actions and words, support LGBT rights and community.

I think that is what it is referring to overall! But yeh, a bit ambiguous.

EDIT: Already answered! Just read an interesting article on him a few years back.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
One more post on vaccination- just got this email from Bill Nelson who is the NASA administrator (i.e., my boss although way up the food chain; the bolded is his, not mine):

I’m writing you from Johnson Space Center, but I’m thinking of the entire NASA family across the country. And, as a family, we must consider our role in keeping ourselves and our co-workers safe from COVID-19.

Since the end of May, when the Delta variant started to spread, I’ve learned of at least five deaths in our family. Each one is a tragic loss, creating a void in the hearts of their loved ones. I’ve personally lost a family member to COVID-19. Sadly, I know many of you have, too.
NASA prioritizes safety by following the science – and the science is clear. Our best line of defense against COVID-19 is vaccinnation. Every rigorous study shows the vaccines are safe and effective. As of Aug. 1, unvaccinated individuals accounted for 99% of COVID-19 deaths.
For all of us to remain healthy and be able to work together, it’s essential that all members of the NASA family who are eligible to receive the vaccine do so.

All of us have been asked to indicate if we have been vaccinated. Please complete the Certification of Vaccination form if you have not done so already.
For members of the NASA family who are coming on site and remain unvaccinated, weekly testing will be required effective Sept. 20.
But weekly testing is not a long-term solution. It will not keep us from catching COVID-19 and threatening NASA’s mission.

Today, I’m simply asking you to think about our family, take care of each other, and get vaccinated if you have not done so already.
Consider it part of our mission. Every one of you is critical to the success of NASA’s mission and our nation’s mission to end this pandemic.

Stay safe.
Bill Nelson
Nice try operation paper clip (I’m kidding!)
If any of those people who he mentions are known to you, or even if not for that matter, I am sorry for your loss buddy.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm pretty sure he wasn't gay. I recall him speaking about the Omar role saying he wasn't gay but really just needed work and didn't care about the character's sexuality.

That’s what happened with the guy that played Vito in the Soprano’s. He was obviously in the show before that & there was no indications his character was gay at that point.

But the writer pitched it to him then felt bad he was forcing him into doing something he might not be comfortable with. But the guy playing Vito didn’t want to turn it down because that was the first the character was really featured in his own storyline.

A lot of the story lines in the show are inspired by real events in the mafia including this one. A family I’m North Jersey that the Sopranos are loosely based on had a suspected/alleged gay acting boss that got killed for that reason.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Not that it matters, but he himself said he did not identify as gay though he spoke of gay experiences in his past. However, three of his biggest roles were gay characters that had to deal with the struggle of being a gay black man, hence the "black queer icon" label.
Yeah, that phrase was what caught me off guard.
I don’t know if he ever spoke or fought for “black queer” people or anyone else, I only know him on screen as Omar and Chalky, but for discussions sake let’s say he didn’t. He played the character and spoke no more about it.
In this specific described instance, would the “black queer community” be hailing a bobo icon like Philly is for hailing Rocky as a Philadelphia sports icon?

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
But that's not what you said, and that's how things get misconstrued. It's important to make these distinctions and to properly word things in science and medicine, and the general populace is learning this. And getting frustrated with us calling us liars and fence sitters and accusing us of going back and forth
I didn’t call anyone a liar or fence sitter. I did not intentionally use a word poorly to twist an agenda.
I used the wrong word in one instance directed specifically at your comment when trying (without going back and reading your exact phrase) to quote you.
If anyone is a fence sitter it is me, as I debate getting the shot or not.
Things change, I know that , events unfold and new information is gleamed from it. Is it that wrong to want as much information as possible before making a decision?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad