Prospect Info: 5th Overall Pick 2020: Who Do The Sens Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
The kind of thing you wouldn't be surprised to hear from dorion after drafting two top players. (ie. unreasonably influenced by that sort of thing.) ;)
Mann seems to have things totally under control now. Nice feeling confident they'll make the right choices.

Exactly lol

I was just rewatching the top prospects game and he was interviewed during the intermission. Well spoken and very supportive of the player without coming across as arrogant.

I found it interesting given our picks at 3 and 5

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Keith looks visibly bigger than Drysdale and is listed as 6'1 everywhere.

I'm not saying Drysdale can't grow just that his defensive upside may be contingent upon it.
I am saying at the time he was drafted in 2002 that is what the CSB had him listed at. I don't know if Drysdale will grow an inch or 2 and put on another 15 lbs but its a decent bet he will

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I just posted a long post about various situations and how it could effect the sens and the draft. All you did was tear me down with nothing else. Maybe take a good look in the mirror first if you think should do better.

Was Keith even 6' in his draft year? He wasnt even picked the first year he was eligible. But Drysdale is overrated to be compared to him. Right. Scott Niedermayer played at 6'0 one ince taller than Drysdale currently is who just turned 18 two months ago. Posters are just grasping at straws right now for some unknown reason to me.

You can just flat out say I dont like the player.
Draft was different then, had to opt in as NCAA players. Heatley was 19 when he was drafted in 2000. Vanek was 19 in 2003.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Draft was different then, had to opt in as NCAA players. Heatley was 19 when he was drafted in 2000. Vanek was 19 in 2003.
Ok, and he wasnt even 6'0 in his 17 year old year he was actually smaller than Drysdale. Hence the argument that holds no water.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
This has to be between Raymond and Sanderson.

In my dreams we get both by trading 13 with 33, 53 and 74 into the top 8 to snag whoever falls (likely Sanderson)

Reactions: Wondercarrot

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
Some good points about how Sanderson was largely involved in his teams offense (basically leading team in points in 2nd half) as well as about drysdale's team not doing well at offense.

Drysdale also got very little powerplay points - a stat which often inflates defensemans point totals.

I like drysdale and raymond at 5 but if what dorion said (same tier 4-12) and what bert is saying (Quinn at 5) is true it really makes sense for sens to trade down. I liked Bert's point about pairings with QB/Raymond.

Reactions: derriko

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Some good points about how Sanderson was largely involved in his teams offense (basically leading team in points in 2nd half) as well as about drysdale's team not doing well at offense.

Drysdale also got very little powerplay points - a stat which often inflates defensemans point totals.

I like drysdale and raymond at 5 but if what dorion said (same tier 4-12) and what bert is saying (Quinn at 5) is true it really makes sense for sens to trade down. I liked Bert's point about pairings with QB/Raymond.
They aren’t taking Quinn at 5 lol

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Anyways. I just want goals and skill. I don’t care about anything else. You can fill toughness and defence through other means but you can’t acquire inherent skill regularly.
Sure you can, there are dozens of examples of skilled big guys who are also tough, they don't have to be small soft players. OV is pretty skilled, so is Stone ... Malkin ... Draisaitl ... and the list goes on & on ...

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Sanderson also plays against the USHL which is worse competition than the OHL. I dont see that as being a valid argument, he also doesnt have to pay 3 in 3's like Drysdale does logging massive minutes. Drysdale is underrated in what he has accomplished and shown up to this point, atleast on the sens board. What he did at the WJC just hasnt happened before. He came in for Byram on his wrong side and was the superior player and looked like Canada's best defenceman. As the games went along he logged more and more minutes. Tourigny had higher praise for him than any player on the team. Id say he knows what he is talking about.

Its a pretty big disservice to Drysdale to compare Ryan Murphy to him they arent in the same spectrum as prospects. Drysdale is a terrific defender and minute eater.

Drysdale scored a PPG on a terrible team while playing responsible defensively and you are holding that against him? He is playing for the 67's and he is likely scoring 70+ points. Then what? He is the consensus number 2 prospect maybe pushing for number 1.

It's interesting how you take my point, and then somehow turn them into an opinion, even though I gave my opinion that I really like Drysdale. But I suggest you at least be willing to consider someone else's argument, even if you don't agree with it (see Socrates quote on that one). And I'm not saying Drysdale will be Murphy, it's just that there have been elite skating small d-men taken in the top 10 that haven't made it, and let's face it, some scouts like to play it safe. Sanderson might be the safer bet in this regard, although I'm sure someone could counter argue that. In the end, there aren't many 5'11 D taken in the top 5 of the draft, and while I don't think the Sens scouts have that bias, I'm not sure they won't be in love with getting Sanderson either.

I'm just giving you some reasons why some scouts like Sanderson better. You don't have to agree that he is a better prospect, but you can at least consider the rationale.

I don't want to get bogged down in this point, but an interesting take on the USHL. It's actually a pretty comparable league to the OHL now, although I'd say a slight notch down in talent because the best 18 year olds go to college. But you don't see people average the points per game in that league either, like you do in the OH (I think 1.3 is the best).. It can be a tough league to score at, especially when your team is exclusively made up of 17 year olds, and you playing againgst 20 year olds like the NTDP team does. The average age of kids in the USHL is actually over 19 (19.2 or something I just found out). I hadn't realized that, so I'm sure that's probably similar if not older as the OHL. But Sanderson didn't get any players on his team 18-21. He had to carry the toughest duties every night against kids older than him WITHOUT anyone older than him on his team. And that was when he was playing USHL. When he was playing against college teams, he was matched the biggest and the best, some of whom are 25 years old.

And I'm not sure how much you follow the U18 team, but for this reason, they get beat up pretty bad in a lot of games physically and on the scoreboard. If you have any doubts, just check out the average players +/- and the average goalies stats for the USHL games. Many are pretty ugly.

And while I feel a lot better about drafting Drysdale having watched every minute of his play at the WJC (he was totally solid as an underager, which is rare for D), let's not exaggerate his performance there either. He had a nice goal and a few points, and overall looked good, but he wasn't dominant or Canada's best defender. He was solid, which is what we all wanted to see, especially defensively.

When considering responding, just keep in mind that if we draft Drysdale at #5, I'll be doing high 5's with my kids and buddies. I'd love to get him. I ain't a hater. I just like Sanderson too, like many.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Dorions interview on SN said the third tier of draft picks is from 4 to about 12. I wonder if that means we try trading down from 5.

Reactions: derriko

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I am saying at the time he was drafted in 2002 that is what the CSB had him listed at. I don't know if Drysdale will grow an inch or 2 and put on another 15 lbs but its a decent bet he will
Size is also not the same factor coming into the league as it was 20 years ago.

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
Dorions interview on SN said the third tier of draft picks is from 4 to about 12. I wonder if that means we try trading down from 5.
Not a big fan of trading down especially with the amount of picks we already have. If the guy you want is available at your pick just take him IMO. I'd prefer trading up for some quality over quantity. If we end drafting 3 times in the top 15 in this draft we make out like bandits.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Ok, and he wasnt even 6'0 in his 17 year old year he was actually smaller than Drysdale. Hence the argument that holds no water.

yea but just because Keith grew doesn't mean Drysdale will as well. I just don't think you can count on it either way.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
If we pick Byfield and Drysdale. I m gonna be very disappointed. Melnyk i m gonna stop to go at the ctc

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Just as an fyi. This is from the Redwings board

A poster that “knows someone” says we’re high on Perfetti Rossi and Sanderson. Seemingly in that order

Makes some sense as well. Saginaw is really close to Detroit and also makes a ton of sense.

Chris Osgoode is part of the ownership group with the Spirit as is Jim Devellano who is also Senior vice president for the Red Wings

Reactions: Que

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If we draft Byfield I feel like it will be almost a certainty that we also draft Raymond or Perfetti. A driver on his line to control the play and let Byfield focus on his own strengths. Furthermore, it will alleviate the pressure away from Byfield in this Canadian market and allow him to grow into his game instead of being our saviour on offense - instead he will split that role and spotlight with Raymond or Perfetti

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
As an outsider, there’s smoke around Perfetti to Detroit.

If that is the case, draft one of Rossi or Raymond (if BPA is a forward) or Drysdale (to solidify d core).

Lastly, I would make the corresponding moves with the Isles 1st to draft Askarov.

Those 3 selections, along with what Ottawa already has, sets up a very nice balance going forward.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
As soon as they announced the 3-5 picks, I wanted whoever LA doesn't take between Byfield and Stutzle (I'd personally prefer Stutzle), and Rossi.

But, after looking at the Sens depth down the middle with the 3rd OA pick, White, Norris, Brown and Pinto, I'd be ok if they passed on Rossi for Raymond.

Brady and Duclair as your top 2 LWs
Batherson and Raymond as the top 2 RWs.

Can't complain with that!

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I've finally looked past Raymond's tough season on a deep SHL squad and convinced myself that he is the only guy I want at 5 if he is there so it probably wont be him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad